Author Topic: Anyone Want To Talk About The 2-1 Transition? Thread #18  (Read 33947 times)

Offline ZacsMumme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
Re: Anyone Want To Talk About The 2-1 Transition? Thread #18
« Reply #150 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:36 am »
So tomorrow, I am going to push as long as I can for her AM nap... hoping for at least 11am (assuming her normal 615 wake up)... fingers crossed for a 2+ hr nap, then BT no earlier than 730pm... I will allow a 30 min CN if she needs it around 5pm... I am fully intending to AP it... she is crazy to put down at that time of day...
This is what we had to do in the end...eventually it was CN in the car only which totally wasted our funds...but it was short lived anyway. Good luck :)
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #151 on: October 11, 2011, 11:32:49 am »
Sara that's awesome so you say in a week or so these naps could start yo get longer?  What's your schedule now?  Also until the naps lengthen should I do ENTIRE?  Because most days she's waking around 12-12:30 from her 1 1/2 hr nap with no CN that has her going a good 6 HRS or so til a 6:30-7 BT. I've been hesitant due to that spurt of EW's we had.  Last night she did 6:45-6:20 a.m. afraid if I go earlier she will be back to a 5 am wake up...what do u think?  This is all based on a 4 hr 45 min A in the morning. This gets her down for a nap usually around 11...should I push the A more or just wait and hope the nap lengthens?
<3 Melissa

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2011, 16:47:21 pm »
Also until the naps lengthen should I do ENTIRE?

ugh sorry for the typos my phone prefills things wrong a lot...but its the easiest way most days for me to get on here...I meant should I do EBT?

Like today she woke at 6:20...napped 11:00-12:30 ( 1 1/2 hrs again :/ had my fingers crosssed for more...but it's not terrible i guess)  so normally i'd do a 6:3-7 BT...that's pretty much what I did yesterday and she slept about 12 hrs straight through the night..should I do earlier though with that being a long 6 hr A to bed?
<3 Melissa

Offline hillybean

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #153 on: October 11, 2011, 17:06:00 pm »
Hi ladies!  I haven't yet posted in this forum, but I have been reading along.  Our youngest dd is almost 14 months and has been on one nap for about 1 month.

Her current "A" time is about 5hrs give or take 5 minutes.  Her naps are really great most days, ranging from 2hrs to 2hrs and 45min.  One day I got 3 hrs and 10 min!! 

My only problem right now is the ew's!!  It's getting bad.  This morning she was up at 4:50am, happy as a clam.  I just can't seem to get more than 11hrs a night out of her.  I have to put her down early for bed (about 5:50pm-6pm) to avoid her being way ot, but she's still ew-ing.  Should I try to do bedtime even earlier?  Has anyone tried the wts method to extend morning sleep?

Just not sure if I'm doing the right thing, or if I should be complaining at all and just suck it up, haha! 

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2011, 17:24:38 pm »
welcome hillybean...i am very jealous of your naps ;)  sooo hoping to get to that point...honestly with naps like that IMO an 11 hr night is GREAT...have you tried inching into a LATER BT?  or possibly trying to stretch her first A slowly to make the nap later in the day so a later BT is more doable...try to get it to be more in the middle of her day?  if i am doing the math right...a 5 am wake up with a 5 hr A as you say would mean a nap at 10 a.m. at it's shortest based on what you state above (2 hrs) she is waking around 12 and up til BT...hence the EBT...funny so the situation I am questioning...only her morning has been starting around 6:15 rather than 5 (though if it makes you feel better we WERE at 5 am wake ups for about a week just last week)  how long has this been going on with the EW's?

I'd say if she wakes at 5...maybe try and slowly get to more to an 11 am nap which would bring you closer to waking from that nap at 1 (at the earliest) allowing you to maybe get more of a 6:30-7 pm BT and hopefully pushing her morning A and giving a later BT would cut out the EW's?  make sense?  sometimes all this code talk gets confusing lol ...i am no expert by any means but...just a thought...
<3 Melissa

Offline hillybean

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2011, 17:49:29 pm »
Yes, that totally makes sense!  I just wish we had one morning where she got up at at least 5:30 so we could go from there.  The early wake ups have been going on for about a week or so I guess.  I will try and do a little bit later of a bedtime by gradually stretching it out, it's just hard when she wakes up from her only nap by 12:00pm.  That makes it about 6hrs till bedtime and she has really unsettled sleep. 

I guess it wouldn't hurt to stretch bedtime out a bit and see what happens since we're already dealing with early wakings and restless sleep! 

P.S...you'll get there with the long naps.  It wasn't a pleasant road for us, that's for sure!!  Each day she took a nap that was less than 2hrs, I would add 5 minutes to her "A" time the following day.  Gradually we got to the nice long naps.  And long before that, we fiddled with the short nap first, long nap second and vice versa.  One night she woke up at 3:20am happy and ready for her day...that was when we decided it was definitely time one just one nap!

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #156 on: October 11, 2011, 18:11:57 pm »
haha...totally understandable...maybe tweak the morning A time instead of a later BT is causing unsettled sleep...this way you are adding to the 5 hr A rather than adding to the 6 hr A...balance it out more so she is doing equal A time before and after her nap...give or take depending on how long her nap is...

I was just reading up on here about typical amounts of sleep for various ages and it states: 

1yr:  11.5 hrs night time sleep  2 naps at 1.25-1.5 hrs each

then it goes into the 2-1 transition taking place around 12-18 mos

18mos:  11.5 hrs night time sleep (so that doesn't change and you seem to be right on target there more or less)

1 nap at 2hrs

again obviously this is a general statement and all babies are different but just to give you an idea you know?  I feel like we are kind of in the same boat here and I personally plan to extend the morning A hoping to to increase her nap time so SHE isn't waking at 12-12:30 and having to stay awake til BT which sometimes has to be early causing an earlier waking than I'd like...good luck and keep us posted...any of you other ladies having anything to add or have different advice?  I'll be looking to see since my own previous post was asking about the same...wondering if my thoughts are on track....
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2011, 18:27:07 pm »
possibly trying to stretch her first A slowly to make the nap later in the day so a later BT is more doable...try to get it to be more in the middle of her day?

hillybean - I agree with Melissa - if you want to stop her waking at ungodly hours then gradually shift that nap later, which should help you achieve a later BT.  I wouldn't stretch BT just b/c it is already a really long A time & you are more likely to cause her to become OT.

well ladies - we are going to get O onto 1 nap if it kills me.  He has been very OT lately with starting nursery, & being poorly which combined with lots of inconsistent 1 nap days have all led to EW.  Doing 2 naps is no longer working for us at all.  He did 2 today at MIL's house & even though he was up for the day at 5.15am, he didn't take his 30min AM nap until 9.45am & then fought his PM nap until 1.45pm when he slept for 1.5hrs (with a crying WU at 1hr).  We did BT at 6.30 given the early start & the OT & guess what - he was UT & fought it.

So, my plan is to start with between 4-4.5hrs A, allow 1.5hr nap & get a PM C/N.  I plan to stick at it consistently until he starts to resist the nap or the PM C/N & then I will increase the A time by 15mins.  & repeat until we get to the 5hr mark or nap at midday.  Then hold it there.  And I'm going to throw some early bedtimes in to hopefully stop him getting so overtired.

Wish us luck!

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2011, 18:36:32 pm »
lots of claire hope it works out for you...sounds like its the right choice...

any thoughts on what I should do with av's BT?  so you don't have to look back I will post her day today and tell me what you would do...as i said pretty close to the same boat as hillybean, minus the EW (but definitely want to avoid going back to them lol)

WU 6:20
nap 11-12:30
BT 6:30 ok?  (that be a 6 hr A..) or should I do EBT closer to 6? (again afraid of getting EW...doing 11-11.5 hr nights so afraid to get an EW with a 6pm BT...11-11.5 hrs would be 5-5:30!  yuck or is it possible she'd add on cause I am not so sure she will...)  with a 6:30-7 BT she generally wakes around 6:15-6:30
the only reason i consider the EBT is based on the long A after a shorter nap...tomorrow hoping to stretch the morning A time like i suggested to hillybean but for today (and also in the future if the nap gets shorter or I still find myself facing a 6 hr or so A time...I'd like to get some advice on EBT)  more or less asking what length of A before BT is too much and NEEDS an EBT?
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #159 on: October 11, 2011, 18:51:10 pm »
Melissa - it is a bit of a risk & I'm afraid I can't say for sure what she will do.  But what I will say is that the less OT she gets, the better she will handle the transition.  We are in a right mess b/c of having too many days like the one you posted above.  He is so OT that he is fighting all naps, fighting BT & waking crying repeatedly at night & of course EWing.  We've been having 10hr nights, even on 1 nap days. 

So IIWM I'd probably risk the EBT at 6pm.  She may well do 12hrs straight to make up for the lost sleep at naptime & you are no worse off.

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #160 on: October 11, 2011, 19:05:08 pm »
you may be right...and IF she does do that (catch up and give a 12 hr night) do you think she will still start to extend her nap longer?  or will the extra night sleep give her no reason to want/need more day sleep giving a longer nap...you know what i mean? 
<3 Melissa

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
« Reply #161 on: October 11, 2011, 19:14:51 pm »
sleep begets sleep.  The more rested she is, the better she should sleep.  Just stick at it.  Its what I should have done!  I'll hopefully be joining you at 1 nap very soon!

Offline choc

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #162 on: October 11, 2011, 19:20:19 pm »
Hi ladies.  We have been having EW too, 5.30am this week, although he does go back to sleep.  He has been doing long AM short PM the last 2 days at the childminder, 1hr30 am and 40 min pm.  Then he wakes at 5.30, happy and chatting for about 10mins, then whinging and whining for 10mins but it never escalates to any actual crying.  Then he drops back off again for about 45 mins.  I'm pretty sure he was doing it when he was having 2 short naps before the weekend too but can't really remember! 

Any ideas what could be causing it?
Gemma

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2011, 19:21:13 pm »
well, we were up at 610am today... as I expected.  So since I had to go into work to give my resignation (YAY!), I left her with DH with strict orders to keep her up until I came home :)  He did really great with her and said she was totally fine - until she saw me when I came back at 1045 LOL!  Suddenly the eye rubbing and yawning started - I am the one who always puts her down for naps bedtime.  So, got her bottle and got her down at 1055 with no issues... still sleeping at 1220pm...

Offline lily528

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • My world
« Reply #164 on: October 11, 2011, 19:46:15 pm »
clairebear- agreed...I will shoot for the EBT...so no earlier than 6 though right?  that would be 5.5 hrs A time...

choc...we had this a week ago...and for us she stopped the EW's when i committed to 1 nap and EBT...she then started consistently sttn and started waking a bit later...also I really fought the EW's trying to trick her into thinking it was a NW and tried to not give up and rescue her until at least after 6...i'll say though if he's drifting back off i'd let it go and i'm sure it will end up rectifying itself...sometimes i wonder if we didn't rescue them so quickly sometimes what would happen...so good job playing it out to see...

kara- congrats on the resignation!  ;)  and the nap today!  hope she does well for you...keep us posted ;)
<3 Melissa