Author Topic: Need some advice on 17.5 mo old's eating habits....  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
Re: Need some advice on 17.5 mo old's eating habits....
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 11:43:17 am »
Our Sam picks up the food and places it on the spoon!!!  ::) When he has cereal he takes the pieces out one at a time then drinks the milk from the bowl spilling most of it into his plastic big, then he goes back for it later LOL. He does usually eat the cereal as well mind you, most of it anyway. We are still in food BPITM (big pain in the bum) LOL. Still knocking back the fruit but the savoury stuff is such a battle. As with your LO's there is no feeding him anything at all now  ::) If I try I get yelled at and food gets thrown, sometimes even if I verbally encourage he will stop eating so I 'LEAVE WELL ALONE'. On top of that we've got 2nd year molar trouble so he's in pain when he eats.

Siiiigh.

(X)

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 14:35:38 pm »
and cutting his sandwich into little bites at lunch time LOL
LOL, that's a whole other issue of independence...just wait ::)

Just keep practicing.  He'll get better.
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 14:57:45 pm »
My DS almost always refuses to use any utensils. Which is REALLY frustrating and limiting since that means everything has to be finger foods and he hates having his hands messy. So he LOVES pasta with sauce (even meat sauce) but will only eat it with his hands and then wants his hands cleaned after every bite or two. The other night we got him to eat much of his pinwheels with a deep spoon but it hasn't happened again since (though we were totally cheering for and encouraging him). We just keep trying...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 17:41:12 pm »
Hi Ladies,

I really makes me smile to hear about all the food foibles of our little ones  :D. It only goes to prove what by this stage we all already know:

Every single one of our angels are different..totally unique  ;). At least we can rest assured that by adulthood we have all mastered the art of using cutlery and rarely throw our food on the floor. Although I think it could be quite fun  :).

(X)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 29
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 22:52:34 pm »
So he LOVES pasta with sauce (even meat sauce) but will only eat it with his hands and then wants his hands cleaned after every bite or two.
This is like my DS.  Depending on his mood, there are some days when he can eat all of his pasta and not care if I clean his hands or not and others where he looks pained if there is any tomato sauce on his hands ::).

LOL Vicki!!!

So I just wanted to share something - my DS picked up and ate a real vegetable today (meaning, just by itself, not in a pancake, not pureed, not hidden).  This is so random, it was broccoli rabe! We were at my brother's engagement party at a restaurant and I just put some on his tray and he started eating it.  He ate a lot of it too.  There was also some sausage in there and he ate a few pieces of that.  I am sure he will never eat it in my house ::), but the excitement I felt over this was probably not normal. :)  He seems to try new foods when my brother is around - I told him I may pay him to come live with us LOL. 
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 06:57:35 am »
LOL Nicole!  ;D

Hurrah for Sam! Funnily enough broccoli was the vegetable our Sam tried randomly..at my Mam's house LOL.

I think it's the change of scenery and seeing what others are doing.

Hang in there. Sam hasn't tried anything new for ages but our kitchen bin is full of vitamins and nutrients  ::).

(X)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 10:39:04 am »
Cool!  I'd be so upset if my son didn't like green veg!  I love it! 

Well recent experiments have included meatballs again (with broccoli and green beans which he loved) and spanish tortilla containing potatoes which he normally loves and wouldn't eat!  Go figure!  I have no experience of a picky toddler (yet) but I think they all go through their picky phases and I guess it's important to not then exclude foods they've previously rejected.  My son went off grapes till I started slicing them rather than halving them, now he loves them again?!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »
So last two times we've had pasta with meat sauce (I make a homemade meat sauce and serve it with whole wheat penne or rigatoni) - which he LOVES - he gets upset and refuses to eat with his hands messy, but won't use a fork or spoon. So last night, with friends over, he would only eat when I basically fed him the pasta off a spoon. Sigh.

Awesome on the broccoli rabe and sausage!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 07:02:49 am »
Hi Ladies,

A quick update which will hopefully encourage:

On Wednesday Sam had a 45 min OT nap and I wanted to get him in bed for 6.30 so dinner time was a rush as we got in late. Because of this I decided to give him 'an old favourite' wild mushroom chicken noodle' dish, which was already good to go. I expected to replace it with cereal  ::) Then to my enormous shock  Shocked he picked up his spoon and ate the whole dish full then asked for more!  I felt like I'd won the lottery. I left him to it and didn't make a fuss, not even praise untill he'd finished. The only thing I did differently was for us to smell it before he ate it LOL. He loves to smell things at the moment (especially play dough LOL) and I wonder if because it smelled nice it encouraged him  ??? who knows. Anyway last night he ate a full dish of Lasagne for dinner, so 2 nights of wonderful success. It had been weeks since he at any 'proper dish' and not just finger foods. I am praying this particular fussy stage is passing. Keep your finger's X'd for us please  ;)

(X)

Offline Sam-n-Max's Mommy

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 11:26:34 am »
That is great news!! FX for you!!  We are back in a picky phase, but I'm just trying to roll with it.  What else can you do!
--Nicole
(formerly samsmommy3312010)