Author Topic: Has the advice changed?  (Read 3765 times)

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Has the advice changed?
« on: September 25, 2011, 16:57:13 pm »
My SIL has started my little nephew on solids, he is 18 weeks old. He is (like Stan was) exceptionally big (98th centile), and I know she has had a frustrating time with BFing and feeling like he is never satisfied.

I'm just surprised because she is studying to be a nutritionist, which made me wonder if maybe the official advice on when to start solids has changed?

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Has the advice changed?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 18:02:16 pm »
Still 6mo in all the lit i read and the hv advice last week. I'm in the UK.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 18:07:21 pm »
With both my DDs I was just told by the health vis "babies are started on solids anywhere between 17 weeks and 8 months (helpful ::)) I started mine about the 6 month m.ark but both my SILs started all their 3 kids at 17 weeks ish :-\
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~inbalance~

• Showing Appreciation 272
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 18:12:06 pm »
I'm fairly certain that the WHO guidelines at least are still to wait until 6mos.  Perhaps she is just working on her mother's intuition?  I know that my head said "wait until 6mos" with T, but my frustration was telling me to do it sooner so that he would sleep.  ::)  Bad judgement, he didn't sleep!  :P  When it came time to do it all again with F, same thing..... I *knew* it was supposed to be 6mos but I just kept thinking, well maybe it would make everything better if I did it sooner.... ::)  Next time, I'm waiting until 6mos!
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 18:15:56 pm »
Here they say no earlier than 4 mths, no later than 6mths...that's in my study lit from paeds at warsaw university.

We did 24 weeks with O and 26 with Emma. And she was always the better sleeper. Both were 97th for length born and by 3 mths (Oz) and 5mths (E) EBF 97th for weight as well...

S x

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 18:21:58 pm »
I have been told that The guidelines have changed - it's back to being 16 weeks, which is what it was about 5 years ago. Tbh, I think the best advice is to go with what you think your lo is ready for which is what I have been told by the good health visitors.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 18:31:46 pm »
I checked the food standards agency website recently as I heard on the news there was some evidence it wasn't best to wait. I can't find any reference to this new research on the web. I know it was done at King's College Hospital, don't know if any one saw this too???

When you say "the guideline" Claire, to which are you referring? The WHO?

I am thinking the same thing at the moment Martina, that B is deperate to eat at 5mo and he might sleep through if we start. You have reaffirmed my belief  that I should wait as it will not be a magic cure for sleep depravation.

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 18:32:58 pm »
After a study came out noting that the earlier different foods are introduced (and LOTS of diversity) the less likely allergy is and also the less picky your child will be. It basically stated that those late introductions of samey mushy food is making our children picky, especially towards fish and green vegetables.

4-6 months is the new rec here :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 18:37:11 pm »
Was that the one at King's Steffi? Do you have a link?

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 19:19:00 pm »
I read it in a German sociology magazine. The two countries compared where Germany and France (because with this issue, you could never compare Scotland with Turkey or somewhere like that, because of the different climate, but in this study the two countries had similar climate).

Basically, the Germans introduce food generally at six months, and only like one per week, and mostly pureed foods. Potato, carrot, apple, pear, beef, pasta, tomatoes and chicken is as adventurous as we go. no spice, low salt, low sugar. Tastes all the same, really  :-\

The French introduce at four months, they let their babies nibble on chicory, duck, rooster in red whine sauce, garlic soup, asparagus, etc.

And the incidents of allergy, asthma and eczema in France are WAY lower than in Germany. Also, the kids are not as picky, and not as overweight or unhealthy, life expectancy is higher, too.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 19:34:20 pm »
There is a big study going on in to allergy at Kings college at the minute and they are looking at the allergy recommendations and how weaning later hasn't led to a decrease.  But they are only looking at BF babies because of the open gut theory, not FF babies so their advice seems to be only related to babies who are EBF babies at the minute. 

Weaning is still set at 6 months here officially but it can depend on your HV/doctor as to what advice you get. The advice that has changed since I had M though is to make sure purees are short lived and they are on proper food by 1 year with no more purees.   So finger foods and table foods from very early on.  That is in relation to the increase in picky eaters and increase in texture issues.   

Offline clazzat

• Showing Appreciation 286
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 19:47:37 pm »
Hmmm... I have been trying to find something to confirm what I was told when x was born, but I can't find anything about the uk guidelines.  I don't think that it was the who guidelines that the hv was talking about, but she definitely told me that now the recommendation was from 16 weeks as I remember laughing about the fact that it had gone back to what it used to be. I also remember not being surprised as I had heard something about it somewhere before she mentioned it to me.

The only thing I can find is this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12180052

Interesting that you mention moving on from purees quickly, shiv, as I also remember having a conversation with someone about how purees are not really suitable when weaning at 6 months as they were how you were supposed to introduce food to a 4-month-old.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 19:56:50 pm »
I found this http://www.eatstudy.co.uk/eat-study-info/ but it says to cont with the 6mo recommendation.

I am leaning to BLW. I wonder if there are any studies one that or if it is too new???

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 19:59:31 pm »
I find the 4 month thing hard to fathom.  I don't think R would have been ready for solids at all at that stage.  I hardly thought she was ready at 6 months whereas I started M at 5.5 months as she was very ready.  Is X ready do you think?

Interesting that you mention moving on from purees quickly, shiv, as I also remember having a conversation with someone about how purees are not really suitable when weaning at 6 months as they were how you were supposed to introduce food to a 4-month-old.
I think thats the thing.  they changed the age recommendation without linking it to the types of foods although I know in the weaning guide I got for M it suggested foods like beans on toast, mashed potato etc form 7-8 months so they have been recommending it but not that strongly.  At antenatal class for R, they mentioned weaning briefly and still said 6 months but also said finger foods from 6 months and no bottles by 1, just BFing or cups.  THey were the only changes I noticed.  

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 20:06:30 pm »
I said to my Mum that B did not seem ready for solids at 4mo (not sitting well, not reaching, not mouthing things, strong tongue thrust etc) but 2 weeks later  and esp now at 5mo he is so ready. When K was born 2 yr ago the recs wre the same about bottles after 1.