Author Topic: when to drop bottle and which one  (Read 932 times)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:38 am »
my lo is not a great eater to start with, and now she is 7 months old and taking 3 small solid meals a day. The problem is finding the time in the day to fit in all these meals, and since there so close together (bad napper as well) she isn't finishing any bottles- Should i start to cut back on a bottle? which one goes first. She currently has 5 bottles (including the DF).  would i rather her eat more solids and less formula at a feed? or less solids and more fomula? im so confused???

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: when to drop bottle and which one
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 13:05:02 pm »
How much is she taking at each feed now? How many bottles does she have and how much is she taking over 24 hours?  Until she is 1, milk should be her main source of nutrition, so if she is cutting her milk back you really need to scale her solids back until her milk intake comes back up.

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 19:50:09 pm »
I agree with Laura...

First impression: cut the DF.

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:40:12 am »
i make her a 6 ounce bottle 5 times a day but lately she only takes between 3-5, depending on the time of day. her solid meals are only 1-2 TBSP of oatmeal with an ounce of fruit for breakfast and dinner and an ounce of fruit mixed with a little yogurt for lunch. she really isn't a big eater, and is a fussy one to say the least.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 06:09:48 am »
Can you post your EASY with times and amountys of bottles and solids please? Does the 5 bottles include the DF? Has she always been fussy or is that a new thing? What's her behaviour like when she feeds? What flow teat do you have her on at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions!

Laura

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:49:20 am »
shes a touchy baby, so she is all around imposable :) 5 includes df. she never seems interested in the bottle- i feel like im force feeding her. i  am using medium flow. her easy is all over with exact times, depending on length of naps and how long she slept for, but she is awake for 2 hrs stretch and has a bottle every 4 hours. her naps vary, usually 30-40 minutes first and third nap and second is anywhere between 45-1.5

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 18:09:48 pm »
At 7 months, her A time should be at least 3 hrs.  This would explain the short naps you are getting and the all around fussiness during the day... she is undertired to start with, takes a short nap and feels refreshed, but really isn't.  She then enters the land of being OT and quite often, this will cause bottle refusals... she can't bring herself to focus for the 10 mins she needs to because she is tired.

I would keep her up longer in the morning... do it slowly though so that she doesn't have a total melt down... 5 mins every couple of days unless she does seem happy being awake... you want to push that first awake time to 3 hours... this should lengthen her first nap and then allow her to happily be awake for a second stretch of 3 hrs (at least) then take another good nap... allowing you to get rid of the third nap - she should only be taking two at this age.

I would also consider changing to a fast flow teat... she could be frustrated by the time and work required to drink a bottle.