Author Topic: In need of reassurance please.x.  (Read 802 times)

Offline Truly Blessed

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 125
« on: September 26, 2011, 13:22:41 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Our DS Sam is 20 months and his eating has gone wonky on a huge scale. We have had periods of fusiness in the past but this one has lasted weeks now. In short he will eat any fruit which is great  :D but he will no longer have any of his favourite home cooked meals it all has to be finger foods which he can feed himself. I understand that it's a very independant age which is probably the reason. His diet is very limited at the moment, hardly any meat, only corned beef  :P and occasionally he'll eat chicken. His vocabulary is around 30 words but one of them is 'CHIPS!'  :-[  which my Mam started to give him and I continued, microwavable made from mash potato which he loves and will always eat...oh the shame  ::). He has been on Abidec multivitamin with Omega 3 since he was 6 months old and seems healthy but it's so hard not to stress. Right now I am offering him the things he likes with things he hasn't yet tried for every meal, always including vegetables. He recently ate broccoli which was great but there's no consistency. He does also like his yoghurts and fromage frais, mostly so he can spread it all over himself and some of it in his mouth  ::).

So basically that's what I'm doing and trying not to stress..but mostly failing  I no longer try and encourage him, I just leave him to it as it only results in the plate being thrown:'(. I wonder if any of you have been here and your LO's have come through it  ??? Is it a stage  ??? Or have I created a fussy eater  :'(. He still has 5 teeth to come and his canine is pushing through at the moment, I know this has been a factor in the past.

Thanks for reading.

Vicki.xxx.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: In need of reassurance please.x.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 13:27:42 pm »
I'm sure the teeth are a big part of it.

I'd try to resist the temptation to 'fill him up' on things he will eat. Decide what is a reasonable number of times for him to have chips per week, and how many times yoghurt/fruit, and stick to that. All other times, offer different things (maybe things he used to like), and trust that he will not starve himself. When you leave him to it at mealtimes, put a couple of spoons on his tray, it might get him interested again in learning to eat the things that used to be favourites.