Author Topic: *Help* LO won't drink milk through the day but wants it at night.  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Jem88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
*Help* LO won't drink milk through the day but wants it at night.
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:33:37 am »
For the past 2 weeks my LO won't drink any milk during the day.. but want's it at night. She has 3 meals a day at 8am - 12pm and 4pm. She wakes at 6.30am for the day then depending on when her last night-time bottle was, she'll have a bottle at 7.30am, then won't drink any during the day but then will drink her bedtime bottle at 6pm.

Lastnight she had a bottle at 6.00pm just before bed, drank 6oz.. Then she woke at 9.00pm - i kept putting her dummy in but she just kept fussing and crying out, so i then got a bottle at 9.30pm.

She then woke at 12.20am and then 5am for bottles.

I did try giving water before her milk at the 12.20am feed to see if she was maybe just thirsty but she wouldn't have the water but she wanted the bottle.

When she went onto 3 meals a day, she didn't want a bottle at all during the night for 3 nights running. then started at 1, then went to 2 - 3.

How do i get her to take in more milk during the day - do i start giving a bottle before solids again?
Our gorgeous girl born Feb 11.

Our 2nd little girl due Nov 12.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: *Help* LO won't drink milk through the day but wants it at night.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 16:58:19 pm »
How old is your LO? If she is less than 10 months then yes, definitly give milk before solids. In fact, if you have recently started solids I would cut them right back or stop for a few days until her milk intake is back up to where it should be. Until she is 1, her main source of nutrition should be from milk and she needs a minimum of 20oz, but more is better.

I would make sure that milk has priority by giving her milk at 4 hour intervals (assuming she's around 6 months) and then solids about 1 hour later as part of her A time. Early solids have very few calories which is why she is waking at night for bottles if she isn't taking them at during the day.

HTH!

Laura

Offline Jem88

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:52:02 am »
Hi, i managed to get her to have 18oz yesterday during the day from 7.30am - 7.30pm (breakfast, afternoon and bedtime bottles) plus she had 3 meals. She then had 6oz bottle at 11pm and 3oz bottle and 1oz water (seperate bottles) at 3am - then woke up at 5.20am for another but i managed to re-settle her every 15mins until 6am where she then drank 6oz.

I'm just worried she's having too much milk + 3 meals a day. I can't get her to drink less during the night.
Our gorgeous girl born Feb 11.

Our 2nd little girl due Nov 12.

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 16:15:31 pm »
How old is she now? Can you post your routine so I can see how things are going during the day?

Eat - what times, how much, solids and milk
Activity - how long for
Sleep - what times, how long for

I don't think you need to worry about too much milk during the day, with solids it depends on how old she is and if it's having an impact on her milk intake.

I'm glad yesterday was a bit better!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 18:26:33 pm »
Jem88 - she is 7.5 months old correct??  I did some digging in another post of yours. 

I think you have a routine issue and that she is taking too much in terms of solids... As Laura said - milk is the most important and I would cut her back to 2 meals of solids a day at most for now.    And by meal - it should only be a few tablespoons at most for each of those two meals.