Author Topic: help me start somewhere...sandpaper like skin and eczema and perioral dermatiti  (Read 6655 times)

Offline greenteamomma

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
How do I start figuring out what is wrong? Elimination diet...where to start?  Im so overwhelmed, don't know what to feed her anymore.  She is 11 months and started getting small patches 6 weeks ago.  Its only getting worse EVERYDAY!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Hi,

Is there a history of food allergies in your famnily? Are there any other symptoms? Have you introduced any new foods recently? Have she shown any symptoms previously?

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
(((hugs))) and waiting for your response. Dylan had horrendous eczema and still flares on occasion, so I will help if I can. If you're not keeping one already, a food/symptom journal can be extremely helpful.
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Thanks for the replies!  There are many things rash wise going on at once.  She had a teething rash that got infected.  They gave her fucidin H which is antibiotics and hydrocortisone.  She also had a rash on her forarms which they said was eczema.  It was really bad on her face so I put it on.  It was another doctor then ours.  Then 2 days later I went back because her chin was peeling like a chemical burn.  Stopped it and they prescribed bactroban an antibiotic and hydro seperately, as two creams.  What peed me off is that he kept saying he stood by his diagnosis!  She started to scratch all the time and it was keeping her up.  The pharmacy said it was an allergy and to only put the hydrocortisone.  Two days later, my nurse practitioner doc team are back.  They say its perioral dermatitis on her face and eczema on her arms.  The meds will take 2 months to work and she will regress a few times. Its only for her face.  They don't even look at her arms.   My research has concluded the same about the treatment taking so long.   Its called metrogel. I went back in when she almost scratched her face ALL night and they said there was a yeast infection over the dermatitis. They prescribed cortisone for lower part of face/neck.  I am not using it because the cortisone is what this dermatitis rash likes! They should know this, no? 

HOWEVER, for the origins she has breakouts when she eats certain foods.  We don't know if its coincidental.  We think milk, stone fruit, soy pastes like miso and soy sauces, pasta; we thought it was the tomatoes but she reacts with homemade white cheese sauce.  I noticed Vikki that you guys hve mustard allergy.  We add that to the white sauce.  We also have been avoid ing applesauce because of the acidity, must burn her chin.  No milk, cheese or yogurt, she was eating alot of yogurt and cheese daily.

Also, one day the tip of her footed pijammas was barely touching her chin and she has a spot exactly there that looks like a chemical burn. I know all her clothes touch her skin but its more sensitive there?   And she sleeps on her tummy so I thought that could be the reason for her arms and chin, neck area.  I thought maybe SLS allergy as well.

YESTERDAY, I had a melt down because I want to know the cause of ALL this.  I bought soap nuts for the laundry, facecloths towels, sheets, everything.  And I bought dr. Bronner's soap.  We have started a food diary and have removed everything mentioned above.  Basically she is having root vegetables, chicken, broccoli, pears, grapes, cheerios, oatmeal and raisins.  
We are waiting for a call for allergy testing and are continuing the metrogel.

That was alot eh?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 17:27:55 pm by greenteamomma »

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Oh wow, you are going through a lot. You are totally doing the right thing and we did similar when Olly had his eczema. In fact we still use 'ecoballs' when washing his clothes as too scared to go back to regular washing powders  :P

Is she formula or breast fed? Have you noticed anything else that could be allergy related? Reflux, spitting up when younger? Mucous in nappies etc?

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
When she was 1 month old we thought she had reflux and I was on a restricted diet.  We thought it was milk intolerance.  The docs said it was normal and since I have overactive letdown they said it was more likely.  Then she had thrush etc so I stopped nursing.  She is on goodstart.  She hasn't had anything else alergy wise.  She just had roseola and an accompanying febril seizure though I don't think they are related.

My FIL has undiagnosed lactose intolerance.  I have asthma and eczema.  My mother and I are allergic to tomatoes but we both eat them.  Thrush keeps being an issue for all of us, even my son.

That's all the background I can think of now.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
We think milk, stone fruit, soy pastes like miso and soy sauces, pasta; we thought it was the tomatoes but she reacts with homemade white cheese sauce.  I noticed Vikki that you guys hve mustard allergy.  We add that to the white sauce.  We also have been avoid ing applesauce because of the acidity, must burn her chin
Sounds like it *could" be MPSI (milk protein and soya intolerence) -Murray got loose stools with milk and a burnt bottom with milk (and apples, carrots, citrus fruits) - outgrown it mainly now though.  The only odd thing is why it would not have been an issue before? Murray used to have a constant "cold" until we stopped dairy but his skin was always fine ...
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Right, why is it a problem all of a sudden? 

Offline firsttimemummy

Maybe it's a change in detergent or something?

I remember Murray had bad skin as a baby - really dry - for a month or so ... but only at home - turned out they were over-cholirinating (can't spell it!) our water and every time he had a bath it was damaging his skin.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Wow thatssad cause its out of your control!

Could it be raisins?

Offline firsttimemummy

Could be any food - I think raisins are quite high in salicilates ....
http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/fruits/

Luckily our water got sorted soon enough! 

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
Omg so are zucchini and carrots.  Im overwhelmed again...what can she eat???

Offline firsttimemummy

Im overwhelmed again...what can she eat???
I know the feeling - I would just try each thing and see how it goes .... I *try* to bear these sals in mind but know that papaya was really bad for Murray and his friend yet according to this list should be okay!!!  Suppose each kid is different .... (probably wasn't much help, sorry!)

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
We are doing an elimination diet for salicylates.  Makes so much sense, all these foods we suspected were connected all along!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
Hi, start by making a list of what CAN she eat and stick it on the fridge door or somewhere to remind you! I keep being told by my allergist and dietician that it doesnt matter too much they aren't a huge range of foods yet. You will get good at creating meals from what is on the list and there are a
Ideas on here too x

Offline firsttimemummy

We are doing an elimination diet for salicylates.  Makes so much sense, all these foods we suspected were connected all along!
Glad you have found a pattern - it may seem overwhelming at first but you will adapt soon.  Like pp says, once you know what your LO CAN have you will manage fine.

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
I think it came on more since she is eating way more foods.  She was going through a growth spurt. Yesterday my grocery cart was WHITE, no colors!  DH put it best when he said its the double edged sword of antioxidants!  Of course additives as well but we ate alot of colorful fruit.

So far, rash is eased somewhat and fewer, not gone, but fewer night wakes. 

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
So no more hives since failsafe diet BUT eczema or bumps extented all over body!

Not sure what else to remove now???

Offline firsttimemummy

eczema or bumps extented all over body!
could it be everything leaving her system ???

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
I don'tknow, could it be?

Offline firsttimemummy

I don't know!! I know when they have mucous it takes days to work out the body so wondered if other intolerences could come out another way ??? ???

Offline greenteamomma

• Showing Appreciation 4
We continue to have eczema.  No more hives since failsafe diet though.  Her face is healing too, but she still is on the metrogel which is fo perioral dermatitis.  Dermatologist appointment is only on Nov 10th ???

Offline firsttimemummy

That sounds promising - maybe the eczema will just take longer to go?