Author Topic: how to assist 8.5 mo old eating finger foods?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline bransfieldma

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
how to assist 8.5 mo old eating finger foods?
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:03:11 am »
Hi,
My ds is 8.5 months, and is doing great with solids in general, however is, in my opinion, very slow with finger foods, or any non-pureed food. Any bits of soft cooked vegetable/fruit/baked good that I try to give him he gags on, and it seems like he doesnt get the concept of chewing. With my older son, he was finished eating purees by now and solely on finger foods, so im not quite sure what to do in this case!
just looking for some tips on how i can help my ds out?
thanks!

Offline Peek-a-boo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 326
Re: how to assist 8.5 mo old eating finger foods?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 04:04:10 am »
I'd try to offer elements of your meal so he has the same thing that's on your plate.  I'd offer at the same time you/the family are eating so he's engaging in the social aspect of the meal and has the modeling.  I'd consider giving him larger chunks (like a piece of broccoli or a piece of asparagus or a julienned steamed carrot) that would allow him to grasp it in his hand and then gnaw on the end.  This way he'll tend to mush it off a bit at a time and it will perhaps be easier to swallow.

Outside of that I wouldn't sweat it--every baby is different.  I don't think there's a lot you can do but give him time and experience with different taste/textures. :) 

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: how to assist 8.5 mo old eating finger foods?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 21:36:43 pm »
Yep, keep offering and one day he will get it! I had problems the other way round and so pureed finger foods I know he liked to get him to eat 'wetter' foods - so if he like sweet potato puree then maybe roast some sw pot finger for him to chew on, they are lovely and soft too  ;)