Author Topic: Adding BM to solids...  (Read 1098 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: September 30, 2011, 01:17:11 am »
For those of you who breastfeed, do you add expressed breast milk to your LOs solids? And if so, for how long and when do you pump to get that milk? My LO will be having solids in several weeks and I'm just trying to plan ahead. I've got some BM stockpiled in the freezer, but just wondering what others do. I'm thinking of pumping after the first morning feed, as I do that currently and usually get 3-5 oz. which I could use throughout the day to add to her solids. But not sure if this would be enough. What have you found you use in a day when your LO started out? I plan to introduce solids once a day for the first week or so, then bump it up to twice a day, and then a week later three times a day so that by the time she's 7 months she's getting solids 3x a day.

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
Re: Adding BM to solids...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:15:26 am »
I did with DS1 because I started him on rice ceral first.  They advise here in the US to start with a tablespoon at first so you really don't need much milk to mix with it at first.  I would think 3-5 oz should last a good few days if you start out with small amounts.  With DS2 I started him on solids later (just did this week actually) and started him on sweetpotato and did it with water.  I always used water for the fruits and veggies with DS1 so I guess that's why I didn't use bm.

I think with DS1 I used the breastmilk for ceral for probably a month.  Then only used ceral in the morning because he was eating a variety of things by that point.  HTH

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 17:33:25 pm »
When I started on rice cereal I just hand expressed into the bowl.  Didn't make him like the rice cereal though!  Generally after we gave up on rice, I just expressed a bit into some purees if they were a bit hot or a bit too thick.  Too lazy to get anything else tbh and I was on tap ;o)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 17:52:22 pm »
I did much as CCCmom27 did.  Eventually I just mixed purees with cereal for meals before we went to proper meals.  The 3-5 oz should do nicely.  :)

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 18:33:37 pm »
I am a FF mom, but used water for most things like purees etc... the small amount of milk needed in the beginning is so little, it wasn't worth the effort ;)

That said, I would plan for a slower move to 3 meals a day... most LO's don't get to 3 meals until 8/9 months ;)

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 00:41:42 am »
Thanks. I've recently started using the extra breast milk that I get from my morning pump after LOs first feeding to top up her evening BF. Once I start solids, maybe I'll decrease the top up gradually and use it in her cereals etc.