Author Topic: watching tv  (Read 6611 times)

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
watching tv
« on: September 30, 2011, 02:31:01 am »
Just wandering if anyone lets there kids watch tv?  DS never liked the tv until recently.. he has become obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse on Disney Junior.  He is only allowed to watch a few episodes a day.. which are 20mins each.  When I tell people that he has a favorite show he watches daily they look at me like I just handed him a can of pop and a bag of chips (that would never happen BTW!! lol) but honestly during that 20-40mins I get alot stuff done because he is not following me messing up what I am trying to clean lol.  Is this awful?

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: watching tv
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 13:47:41 pm »
Henry watches TV for sure and I see no problem with it as long as he is actually watching yk? In our house we only have the TV on if we are sitting watching, personally I hate it when TV's are just on in the background all the time but that is just me. Also no adverts, only C-Beebies and DVD's we approve of.

We do not have set times or lengths of TV. If he has been at nursery in the am then he may watch a little more in the pm as I know he is tired and if we are having a busy outside day then v little gets watched. At the moment he loves lucy from 64 Zoo Lane!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 14:46:16 pm »
At 1YO Mickey Mouse Clubhouse was M's favourite show.  I see nothing wrong with it.  i did loads of reading about TV and not allowed for under 2s and the link to ADHD and what I found is that is just not the case for kiddies who watch a moderate amount of TV! 

Like everything with parenting, moderation is key!  A couple of shows a day is totally fine.  M watches a fair bit of TV but is also happy to play and do loads of things so its not a worry.  We watch playhouse disney or cbeebies as there are no advertisements and the content is very kid friendly.

ENjoy the chance to get thte housework done x

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 14:48:43 pm »
Here too - Dylan watches some Treehouse TV (no ads, age appropriate shows) in varying amounts. Usually about 1/2h in the mornings while we're scrambling to get ready for work/daycare, then a bit in the evening while I'm making supper. Maybe a show before bed. I refuse to feel guilty about it - we do loads of outside time, down on the floor playing time, coloring and crafts, etc. but I do flip on one of his shows for him to watch while I get other things done (making supper, getting ready, cleaning the bathroom, etc). The TV isn't a baby sitter, but definitely a useful tool around here!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 14:52:57 pm »
Aaron has his favorite shows, too, and we have allowed him max of 1h a day since he was one.  On special occassions--or days where DH, myself, or the little dude isn't feeling well--we'll do more tv and/or a movie.  I know Aaron's learned a lot from the shows he watches and DH is able to get dinner cooked without a two-year-old constantly demanding to be held in the kitchen.

Plus, I just think it's fun to snuggle with him while he watches a movie :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline <Catherine>

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 14:57:13 pm »
Same here too. I also agree that DS has learnt a lot from the shows he does watch.

I think it can be a useful tool.
Catherine x

Offline twogirlsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • aka Brennasmommy
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 15:01:13 pm »
We watch tv here to. It is mainly nogging or pbs kids which have no commercials and are somewhat educational/ age appropriate.  I see nothing wrong with it.  Some days its on more then others but it also depends on what we are doing or have done that day.

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 15:02:58 pm »
We're like Becky. Stan has watched small amounts of TV daily probably from around 15 months, but we absolutely DO NOT have advertising on! (This is a personal values thing for our family though.)

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 15:55:36 pm »
pbs kids
That's the channel we watch, too.  We also find one of his shows on the "On Demand" feature of our cable provider, just so we don't have to deal with commercials (which I find highly annoying!).
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 16:17:45 pm »
Thanks everyone! I don't feel so bad about it now.  Its def not a babysitter but is very helpful when I am trying to get things done and am usually the only one home since DH works 12 hr days.  Its not like he is watching CSI.. he only watches mickey and oso.. its all he will pay attention to.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 19:24:24 pm »
I've eased up about it loads.  I used to demand the TV was off all the time but now he is in the room with the TV on when my OH is watching F1 or Rugby (he doesn't show much interest tbh) and now I occasionally put on CBeebies but he doesn't sit still for more than 5 minutes.  He did point at the TV today and seemed like he wanted it on but I didn't put it on, I hate that toddler "I WANT CBEEBIES" thing!

I did go on a course when he was a baby which said there should be no TV until they're 2, preferably 3 and limited after then.  I think that's a bit OTT and probably not achievable.  I don't like the idea of leaving your LO to watch on their own though, I think watching together and talking about what's on screen is good and educational.

There's a programme called "Something special" on CBeebies in the UK which is aimed at kids who are older, I think 4-7 with special needs.  My 16 month old loves it though because there's loads of signing in it and they repeat words a lot which helps his language.  If I happen to put on the TV and it's on, we like that, oh and Waybuloo for the yoga!

But tbh I just tend to switch on the TV if I've run out of ideas or if he's acting up and I just need a distraction.  Probably not the best idea.  Oops.  Anyway, though on doing the housework etc, I have found it's really good idea to involve your LO and not avoid doing housework with him.  There's no reason to avoid vacuuming while your LO is in the room, my son 'helps' me with dusting now (I have one of those fluffy dusters and he loves grabbing that and dusting!)  I hang out the washing with him as he plays with the pegs, I put away washing as he's toddling around in my bedroom.  I've also been known to do the washing up while he's eating.  Tbh, it's more so I get a proper break when he has a nap rather than running around like a mad woman.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline MadisonC

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • my loves xo
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 19:54:26 pm »
I mean it definitely would be nice to take an hr longer to do housework or sit with him and talk about what he is watching but its difficult working from 8-4 because I only have a limited time do get things done and done quickly so that I can still take time out to play with him, bath him, and feed him ect.  So its nice actually that he will sit for 30 mins or so so that I can get that all done and be his for the rest of the evening.

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 19:58:28 pm »
Just out of interest, what's the big deal with the adverts/commercials? Are you guys worried your kids will be asking for stuff they've seen on tv? X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline ~Sara~

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 15:55:36 pm »
Just out of interest, what's the big deal with the adverts/commercials? Are you guys worried your kids will be asking for stuff they've seen on tv? X
Yes, there's that.  Studies show that children under 8 have a hard time realizing that commercials = propoganda.  They don't know about marketing or psychological manipulation (lol, sorry, that's a bit harsh, but when it comes down to it, that's what advertising is!)...what they see on tv, to them, is reality/true.  It's even hard to break away from this mode of thinking as an adult.  Even younger kids (like under the age of 5/6) have a hard time differentiating between their favorite shows and ads that feature a character in that show (so if Dora the Explorer is selling some Yoplait yogurt, they think that Dora in fact eats Yoplait brand yogurt).  I guess these aren't really, really BAD things, but I just prefer to not have to deal with the competition as a parent...I don't have billions of dollars to throw back the other way ;)

Plus, commercials are just annoying.  They're loud, fast-paced and often frantic to elicit excitement from the viewers and create an emotional connection with the product.  I always mute commercials during my shows :)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 16:23:39 pm »
I use to only allow Lo to watch 30 mintues of tv a day, she (still to this day) doesn't care if it's on or not. When I became pg with this baby I started turning the tv on first thing giving Lo a cup of milk and running to the bathroom to be sick for anywhere between 10-45 minutes. I am not going to lie having the tv on has helped alot during this pregnancy.