Author Topic: watching tv  (Read 6613 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 16:43:59 pm »
  We watch ZERO network tv when dd is awake, and never have.  We "attempted" to watch American Idol one night while she and dh did a puzzle in the same room...but NO WAY am I ok with the commercials.  Before I get a chance to change the channel, there is an ad for a horror movie, or an ad for an upcoming version of CSI or something where someone gets punched in the face in the first nanosecond of the commercial. It infuriates me...the level of violence. I realize that it's different during the day, but I bristle at the consumerism, the images of women (Victorias Secret commercials) and the craziness of it all. It's all just so much mental noise to me...yuck!  We do a bit of PBS in the morning, and Fresh Beat Band at night.  There are commercials on whatever station it is that has Fresh Beats, but they are usually for diapers or baby food...! 

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: watching tv
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 17:11:29 pm »
We only do cbeebies and DVDs too. My reason for no adverts is because I don't want my kids demanding things they see advertised. It's only in the last few weeks that DS has realised there are toys in the back of my catalogues, he's pointing out things he likes now, my friends DD who watches channels with ads has been demanding things for a very long time now (I'm sure personality/ parenting is at play there too).

Mind you, DS has discovered Top Gear lately ::) - he's allowed to watch a bit on Sunday afternoons with DH because the language content has been edited.

Laura

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 17:22:41 pm »
OK, I'm stepping out on a limb and admitting we are the family where the TV is always on in the background.  So much so, we don't even notice it anymore.  Kids play normally and prefer to be outside or doing crafts, I haven't found any problems with it -- not to say that there are not any problems, just my kids are well rounded, well behaved kids.  They aren't at all glued to the TV, if they were I'd probably think twice about it.  Actually, they're glued to me!  (as they should be I suppose)

They prefer educational shows -- Electric Company and Fetch are DD's favorite.  Team Umi Zoomi (usually on demand because I don't like the commercials on that channel) and Imagination Movers are Oliver's favorites.  The PBS shows I prefer because the commercials aren't, well commercial.  And other then DH putting on sports, he and I never have any adult shows or major networks on ... and I mean NEVER ... there just isn't time for us to watch anything and when we do the kids are in bed.  So, by design or not, they are spared from the scary commercials and violence (except for whatever Disney has for their Halloween line up, that is scary enough in my opinion).

Now the computer... we limit that use because they WILL get engrossed and sit in front of that thing for hours on end if left to do so.  Computer is not used during the week, ever.  And rarely on weekends, it really is a treat.  We manage it as you all treat the TV, only certain things, maybe if they are sick and need to relax.  If they acted like that with TV, I would limit it too.

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 18:48:27 pm »
Just out of interest, what's the big deal with the adverts/commercials? Are you guys worried your kids will be asking for stuff they've seen on tv? X

Mostly. I don't want Stan exposed to that level of marketing expertise while he is so young to realise that he is being marketed 'at'. Marketers are TOTALLY 'training' little ones to be expert consumers... marketing to children is so sophisticated and I know I don't even understand it all - just enough to know that it's not something I want him to be exposed to. I've seen kids who are more enthralled by the ads than by the shows they are supposedly watching.

I know so many kids who go on and on and on about wanting this that or the other toy, and they are just total rubbish, don't work like they're promised, fall apart... and the wanting is stressful for the kids and the parents. When he's a bit older and I can explain and he can understand that you CAN"T BELIEVE anything that an advertisement tells you... then I guess we'll relax the rules a bit and teach him to be a cynic ;)

But then DH and I don't watch advertising either - which is ironic since we both work in marketing. We PVR the TV we watch and cut out or just skip over the adverts. Or watch BBC if it's live TV.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 18:50:07 pm by anna* »

Offline ~Sara~

• Showing Appreciation 264
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 19:05:45 pm »
Jill, I think you bring up a good point that there's no black and white with any of this, nor is a one size fits all approach doable.  You have to make the best decisions for your family, just like with any parenting aspect.  Now, if only I could limit DH's computer time, lol ::) ;)
*formerly tersaseda*

Offline Mum-of-Two

• Showing Appreciation 87
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 19:33:40 pm »
I tell you what, limiting the children's computer time has really limited mine as well.  I can't go on it without them wanting to do their own thing so I just stay off of it too.  Works out OK.  (and thank you for your note)

Angels 7wks-June07, 11wks-Oct07, 5wks-Jan08

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 20:02:42 pm »
I know of some families whose kids (older, yes, but this could work with preschoolers too I think) have to earn computer time and tv time. They have coupons I think...each is good for 15 minutes, and they keep them in a jar. Mom takes out coupons for misbehavior, and they can earn more by doing "extra" chores (vacuum the car, things beyond the normal household chores).  I think it's really creative...but again her kids are like 8 and 10 I believe. 

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 17:22:36 pm »
I remember being so so... opinionated (stuck up) about this before I had children.

Then, there were times where I put my 18 month old in a high chair, with some Walkers Bakes crisps, juice and a Cbeebies show...

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 20:43:16 pm »
We grew up with the TV on in the background and I would like to think I am ok for it. I try not to have it on too much here. K only watched football with DH before he was 2. He has since taken an interest in something special as PP mentioned. Since we learn heaps of signs and it is quite educational I don't mind this. He also likes oso, mickey mouse and fireman Sam more recently. He doesn't even sit still to watch a whole 20min show so I am not too worried. I agree as long as it is moderate amounts with plenty of other stimulating activities and physical one it isn't too bad.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 20:51:05 pm »
I watched TV every day as a child.  The problem is (or the great thing was) that there was a 30 min slop around lunchtime of kids TV when I was little which limited both my want to see it and my mum's desire to have a quiet life!  Now there are, what?  10 kids channels?  More??  It's scary.

I think the thing is the people who take their kids to singing and literacy groups and read with their kids every day probably have nothing to worry about with a bit of TV but there are parents who would sit their kids in front of it for hours.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline brenda2

• Showing Appreciation 227
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 20:53:59 pm »
we watch a fair amount of tv here, it's not on ALL the time, but quite a bit.  more than a few 30 min shows that's for sure.  it does depend on what's going on in the day though - the kids are at daycare 8-4 5 days a week with zero tv there and in quite a few sports activities, swimming, skating etc so we are out and about with no tv on the weekends and take them to the park lots etc.  we also read to them lots and do puzzles etc with them, but if it's raining and we're home in the evening then the tv is usually on and they are either watching it or not, running around doing their own thing with it on in the background.  i don't really have a problem with it but if it has been on for too long (over an hour) i will usually give them a warning that's it going to go off - they haven't had a problem with this and will just go off and find something to play with.

we only do treehouse (no commericals) or dvds though.  i find some of the shows quite good - dd1 has learned loads from shows like cat and the hat where they talk about animals and travel to places.  

i don't like the violence on adult commercials or the thought of them demanding stuff from the commericals for toys.  but they haven't really seen any toy commmercials yet so i don't know if that would happen.

it's an individual thing for sure.  most parents i know do allow some tv.  some limit the time to an hour a day but most don't

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 21:13:28 pm »
I think the thing is the people who take their kids to singing and literacy groups and read with their kids every day probably have nothing to worry about with a bit of TV but there are parents who would sit their kids in front of it for hours.

Agree with this. We do something everyday and always read several books a day. We do not watch tv everyday.

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 22:36:29 pm »
In my defense, because I don't wish to be misunderstood...For those of us who watched tv every day when we were little and turned out fine, the fact is TV is VERY different in these days. The level of violence and consumerism and sexualization of young girls is rampant on TV, and that is why we don't have it on. I'm not stuck up about it, we just leave it off while dd is awake. And I mean network television, not PBS or certain kids channels without mainstream commercials.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2011, 09:42:37 am »
Oh yes I agree.  The only TV my son watches when he does watch it is CBeebies (BBC, no ads) and sometimes sport with his dad. 
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 17:23:08 pm »
DD does watch channels with adverts (nick jnr shows Peppa Pig ::)) They're always adverts for toys or baby related things like nappies so I'm not worried about them being inappropriate or violent. I do avoid them mostly though and flick, mostly as theyre sooooo annoying! Dh can't abide ads on any channel as he finds them annoying, although it bugs me that he flicks so much. Sport, sport and more sport when he's in control of the remote ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 17:26:14 pm by Charlibob »
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race