Author Topic: Why wait an hour to feed solids?  (Read 1242 times)

Offline TashArnall

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 01, 2011, 00:03:42 am »
Im so confused as to why Tracy suggests feeding solids 30min-1hr after milk (formula, or breastmilk)  It seems like you're teaching your baby to be a snacker when all along that's what we've been trying to avoid?
Now all of a sudden it seems like we're giving them a 'snack' between feeding time and nap time.
Does anyone else wonder this too?
She does't go into depth why she says to do it this way, she just says it.
thanks!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: Why wait an hour to feed solids?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 04:37:12 am »
I think the idea is that food isn't mean to replace bm or fm at that age. Tbh by the time I started weaning, my son had very rarely gone 2 hours in the day without a bf so I just worked out when his 'best' feeds normally were and avoided those times. I completely demand fed though (easy only worked for us at around 9 months plus). That all said, despite everything, it all worked out in the end.

Bear in mind too that when your baby is a toddler, they will probably have 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day! This is why I'm never sure about 4 hourly feeding patterns, very few toddlers ime go 4 hours without feeding.

Anyhow, I'd use her words as guidance but find a pattern that works for you both.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/