Author Topic: dropping milk feeds v quickly?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 01, 2011, 15:31:25 pm »
My LO is 24 weeks and has been weaning since 5 months. This last week she has been on 3 meals a day and is getting hungrier for her purees all the time - she has a type of porridge/rice/cereal for breakfast, a combo of fruits for lunch and then a combo of veggies for tea.

She still has four feeds in the day (4 hour EASY) - but takes hardly ANY breast milk now ???. I always give her water at each meal and also at other times - ans she enjoys it. Is it okay to be dropping her milk feeds so young?  :-\
Should I back off on the food even though she seems to want it?

She suckles  for less than 5 minutes ber feed, and 4 weeks ago she used to feed for about 5-10mins per breast. I can feel that my milk supply is beginning to drop, and also feeling bit engorged.

thanks in adavance

Lissie

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 16:02:18 pm »
I think you need to cut way way back on solids.  3 meals is a lot for 24 weeks.  Milk needs to be the biggest part of a baby's diet until they are 1.  we took to about 7 months to build up to 3 meals and with DD2 I had to cut back to 2 meals at 8 months to protect milk intake. 

How much solids are you offering?

Are you doing milk first then solids a while after? 

So I think your gut is right.  It is great she is keen for solids but it is too soon to cut milk feeds or even cut back on them at 6 months.   Solids are for fun and taste at this stage.  But they do not contain the right balance of calories than milk does. 

Offline Lissie

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 16:36:09 pm »
I give her food about an hour/hour & 1/2 after milk feed. She has about 3 - 4 icecubes worth at each meal. xxx

Offline LucK

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 17:13:30 pm »
I think you should also stop offering water....maybe only a bit with solids since she's used to it...

I also think 3 meals is too much at 5 months.  Perhaps you could cut out the cereals and offer more veg and fruits as they are not as filling.  You may notice that for a few days she will not be eating or BF as much as you would like since she's waiting for more solids but give it a few days for her to get used to it and your supply to adjust.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 18:12:44 pm »
I'd stick to 2 ice cubes for a while and see can you up her milk supply again then you can up the solids again. I always offered water with meals and unless she's drinking huge amounts I'd let her get the practice with a cup as you are. Maybe do solids no more than an hour after milk so there is more time to next feed?  That and less solids should help milk intake increase again.

HTH x

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: dropping milk feeds v quickly?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 18:36:27 pm »
Yes, I only offered water with meals until I actively wanted to get him to slow down on the breastmilk at around 11 months.  I'd cut back on the water outside of mealtimes. 

It is ok to drop back on breastfeeds at around 7/8 months but generally I think most health care professionals nowadays recommend keeping as many breastfeeds going for as long as you can.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/