Author Topic: Trialling gluten....direct or thru BM???  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Trialling gluten....direct or thru BM???
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:03 pm »
Hi there, just need a bit of help re: introducing gluten to my DD.  She is nearly 9months and has suspected mspi, she had awful mucous and blood poops and silent reflux when younger, so I continued to bf and cut soy and dairy from my diet...she improved heaps but mucousy pooped remained for ages so I cut gluten from my diet too...about the same time of solids introduction (three meals a day) her poops cleared up from the mucous, but now struggle with constipation, however I seem to be able to manage it with diet ie..prunes and apricots etc...
I reintroduced soy to my diet about three/four weeks ago and so far it has gone well, no change in her poops..she has been irritable the past two days but she has cut her first bottom tooth so am suspecting  this is causing the irritability and squirminess...
Sorry for long introduction, my question is, I want to trial her with gluten cause not really sure if she even has gluten intolerance?? Should I introduce gluten to me and see if she reacts through bm (like I hv done with soy) or should I give the gluten directly to her....if so what should I give her??
Also do you think I should wait until her tooth has fully come thru??

Thanks, would love to hear of any ideas or thoughts xx
Charly

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Trialling gluten....direct or thru BM???
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 21:15:16 pm »
Hi, I would trial it through your BM and wait until the teething stops- otherwies you will mever be 100% if it is gluten or teeth!

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 23:57:08 pm »
Yep okay will do...this tooth seems to be taking forever though!! Is there any negative of not giving babies gluten or dairy before one year old? I'm a bit worried she's not getting enough nutrients from food I've been giving her because of her mspi and suspected gluten intolerance? She has fruits and veggies and organic brown rice puffs in morning and has just last week started on chicken...also do u know much about giving babies vitamins? A friend of mine told be I should be giving a breastfed baby vitamins? Is this true? Sorry for all questions xx

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 22:31:59 pm »
Okay have been trialling gluten by eating weetbix in the morning and bread throughout day for the past four days and the last two nites we hv had long nw but DD isn't crying just awake and babbling to herself in her cot and rolling around..we also had two EW of 530am....first one I bf her back to sleep :( next day she was up and couldn't resettle.....is  nw a symptom of gluten intolerance?? She is a little grizzly but not sure whether that is just teething or not? Anyone hv nw as a symptom?
Thanks, Charly.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 07:55:02 am »
YEP! In fact apart from eczema it was our ONLY problem! The NW was caused by trapped wind. Once he passed that - normally taking 2 hours. He would settle again for the night.

As ever, it is so hard to tell if it is food related. Could you bear another day or two of trialling to see if this is teething/a phase etc??

Offline Charlygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:50:36 pm »
Yep ate another lot of gluten food today...going to bed now so will see how tonite goes...she was pretty good today, napped well and went to bed fairly easily so we'll see...

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 15:09:46 pm »
Good Luck x