Author Topic: How do I defrost home-made meat meals?  (Read 1701 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
How do I defrost home-made meat meals?
« on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:21 pm »
I have made Oliver lots of lovely food and frozen in (pureed up) including lots containing chicken, etc. I know the safest way is to put the food in the fridge to defrost slowly and use within 24 hours (cooking hot enough to kill the bacteria), etc ... but what about when I forget to do this? We don't have a microwave, just a gas hob (and an oven).  What is the safest way to defrost the food quickly?

I am happy to put the little portions of veggie soup etc in a pot and melt/defrost and heat up with a little bit of water, but not sure if this is okay for meat?

Also, can you defrost in a fridge overnight then leave out to warm to room temperature (soup, meat etc) or do you have to heat it all up to destroy bacteria? I never cook using rice, unless if is freshly made and eaten immediately!

Thanks.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: How do I defrost home-made meat meals?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 12:36:30 pm »
I microwave from frozen.  As long as you heat it up thoroughly so it's boiling throughout and then allow it to cool back to the right temperature to use, then food safety wise, that will be fine.  The problem comes if you don't reheat it fully but I work in food science and I see no problem with reheating in this way.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
If the puree/ food was in it's own little pot I have put the pot to stand in hot water to help to defrost quickly, or put icecubes of food into a little pot and put that to stand in hot water.

You do need to heat food once it's been defrosted though and then let it cool as far as I know! I'm not sure if that includes just fruits, but I wouldn't risk it with any meat based meals.

Laura

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:40:45 pm »
Thanks ladies - when Murray was on purees we had a microwave so it was much easier!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 14:14:21 pm »
Why not get one?  Sorry I didn't realise you didn't have one but you can pick up a basic one in Argos for £33:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4007906/c_1/1|category_root|Kitchen+and+laundry|14418476/c_2/2|14418476|Microwaves|14418513/Trail/searchtext%3EMICROWAVE.htm

It's really difficult to reheat small portions of things in a saucepan.  If that's your only option, it might be worth looking at BLW as then you'll be giving little things from your meals?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 14:23:15 pm »
TBH I don't want a microwave - we had to leave ours when we moved house and I don't want to get another one or I use it all the time, and prefer "properly" heating food, esp for the boys so there are no heat spots, etc

When I am organised and what we are eating is suitable I do give Oliver bits - I just like purees too as I feel he is getting a good feed (he still takes lots of milk, just is a hungry boy!) whereas with BLW he doesn't take that much!

I have a small saucepan and manage okay to defrost, it's just more about how to do it safely.

Thanks for your help  :-*