Author Topic: Reducing formula intake after starting solids?  (Read 1919 times)

Offline tlee81

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Reducing formula intake after starting solids?
« on: October 03, 2011, 21:30:31 pm »
Hi all,
DD started solids at 5 months, she's now 5 months and 3 weeks.  She only gets solids in the morning and BARELY swallows any of it.  I know it is more of just playing around at this stage.  Some days, she'll actually eat it all, others and most days it's put in the mouth hangs out there and either is spit back out or swallowed.  Anyway, since she is actually ingesting so little at this point, I'm surprised to see just a drop in her formula intake.  At 7am, I give her 4 ounces of her 7 ounce bottle.  (I found that giving her whole bottle makes her not interested in solids, and giving the bottle after solids, she refuses the bottle entirely, so this is a happy medium).  At 8am, I give her solids (i offer 2 ice cubes of veggies, she probably ingests actually half an ice cube, but is crazily wanting more, it just never makes it in her tummy).  After the solids, I offer the last 3 ounces of her 7 ounce bottle which most of the time she takes at least 2 ounces.  I don't fret if she doesn't want any of it.  But, her 11 and 3 bottles she only ends up taking 4.5-5 ounces of these bottles and not the full 7 ounces.  I know Tracy says in her book that these two bottles will be lower in amount they ingest, but is this too little for how much she is actually eating for her one solid meal a day?  Her 6:30 bottle (bed time) she takes the full 7 ounces. Any insight would much be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Reducing formula intake after starting solids?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 18:50:44 pm »
Hi, I have moved this thread over to bottle feeding as I feel it is probably more relevant over here! Hope that is ok x

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 19:00:24 pm »
I would stick with offering her all of the 7oz bottle at wake up, then solids 1 hour later - if she eats a bit great if she doesn't it's not a problem. If she has all the bottle at wake up it gives her more time to digest that before her next bottle. Remember solids are just for fun for a good while yet so if she's not really interested just yet it's not a problem.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 18:00:53 pm »
I would do the same as Laura - I also wonder if she is maybe not ready for solids yet, given that she spits most of it out?  She may have an interest but isn't physically ready yet.

Thoughts?