Author Topic: Goats milk/cheese  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Happyface82

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 03, 2011, 22:42:24 pm »
My daughter suffers from multiple allergies. So far we have: dairy, soy, egg, wheat, and fish.  :-\

Anyway, is there any way she would be ok with goats cheese you think? Or no point in trying? I've heard its the one with the least reactions?  ???

Offline deckchariot

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 361
Re: Goats milk/cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 23:31:30 pm »
my dd2 is MSPI, so I've been dairy/soy free since April.  In August, we tried goat cheese and she did just fine :)  It was just before she turned 6 mos - I wanted to try cheese for me before trying solids for her.  I had wanted to try earlier (when she was 4 mos), but my pediatrician advised us to wait a bit longer, as we had just gotten her stabilized on reflux meds and the dairy/soy free diet (when she was 3 mos).  So we waited a couple more months and she was fine with it.  I've not tried cow's milk/cheese yet, and I'm not planning to until after she's a year.  But goat cheese has been fine so far.  I was told that the protein is easier than the cow's milk protein, and that has proved true for us at least.
Michelle

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 14:45:58 pm »
My son cannot tolerate cow's milk. He is particularly sensitive to the whey component (but moderately to casein as well). He tested VERY high on an IgG test to it and was having 3-5 loose bowel movements per day, excema and poor sleeping before we found out and removed it from his diet.

He doesn't drink any milk anymore since we took his bottle away at about 19 months (he's almost 2.5 now) but he eat goat's milk cooked into homemade pancakes, cooked into oatmeal and goat's cheese on homemade pizza and grilled cheese. Works great for us!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 21:08:17 pm »
It is great that others have had success with goat's milk :D. I would have said that if there is an allergy to cow's milk protein then I personally would stay clear of goat's milk too. Just MHO though. What does your Paed say?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 21:10:20 pm »
In our case, both our Ped and our holistic practitioner had suggested the goat's milk. BUT we are dealing with a cow's milk INTOLERANCE - not a true ALLERGY. That may make a difference.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 21:12:15 pm »
Happyface82 you may find this thread an interesting read!

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=185707.0

tigerlilly905

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 00:48:09 am »
In our case, both our Ped and our holistic practitioner had suggested the goat's milk. BUT we are dealing with a cow's milk INTOLERANCE - not a true ALLERGY. That may make a difference.

We're in the same boat with Ds1. He has a cows milk intolerence, not an allergy, and can tolerate goats milk, and the homemade goat cheese/ goat yogurt I make.

Offline Happyface82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:08 am »
Thank you so much girls! Will also have a look at the link! :-)

Blood test showed negative for allergies but her consultant insists that it wouldn't come back positive as it affects her intestines. He calls it an intestinal allergy. It is not severe though in any way. It took a while for her symptoms to develop. Other stuff we tried such as egg she reacted straight away!

I think I will give it a go, got nothing to lose. Tigerlilly could you please tell me how you make the yogurt? :-)

tigerlilly905

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 10:57:39 am »
Its very simple and economical :D http://www.skrewtips.com/2009/04/20/making-yogurt/

I understand completely what your consultant is trying to say. Ds1's symptoms to his cows milk intolerance also took a while to develop.  Is she on a high quality allergen free probiotic? Have you ever heard of "leaky gut"?

Offline Happyface82

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 12:05:07 pm »
Thanks so much for this!!  :)

Will give it a go when I get what I need. I'm thinking of starting with some oatmilk first. If she is having oats for breakfast and oatcakes I'm guessing she will be fine with oatmilk right? She has been put on probiotics yes by a nutritionist that I took her to. Her consultant is very "medical" about it all, doesn't really help me out with her diet. He's been excellent with diagnosis -she also had an endoscopy done- and treatment. Haven't heard of leaky gut and don't think I want to google it!  ;D hehe But she has been better for the last 3 months so I'm not worried that there is an underlying cause if this makes sense!  ???