Author Topic: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?  (Read 24563 times)

Offline skatty

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2011, 17:53:51 pm »
Just seen your last post, I would not stand for that, I would insist on meeting the board otherwise I'd be going to the local newspaper!!
Katt

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2011, 18:01:32 pm »
If we leave, I am absolutely going to make a LOT of noise about this place, but there is just no point in asking for a meeting anymore...we were told no, and if the bottom line is "Take it or leave"...then what is the point?  It is a dead-end.  

And yes, she had chocolate at school...she was covered in hives back in Oct when I picked her up, and I found out that there were brownies that day (for a birthday).  Normally dd won't touch chocolate, but she obvioulsy did. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 18:05:44 pm by Amelia1227 »

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2011, 18:23:15 pm »
Ugh.  Total nightmare. I can absolutely feel for you Anne after what we have bene through this year with my DS starting and us having to pull him out.  I know the up and down emotion you are having.

We really really struggled with the decision to pull DS from his first kindergarten (which is the equivalent to preschool). We hadn't chosen it lightly, we had started looking into kindergartens 14 months in advance and talked to EVERYONE we could about our choices so that we could get "the dirt" on all of them and know the nitty gritty, the things the school does not want you to know, the gossip, the truth, etc. We had 4 visits with the kindergarten in the 12 months before DS started and it was only on the last one, about a month before he was due to start, that we got some niggles of doubt.  Until then we had only heard good things and so on.

But those little concerns started out like yours...little things, things that made me question if it was ME that was the problem, if if was me having trouble letting go, if it was me overreacting, and so on. Meetings with the school where I was brushed off with things like "can we just agree to disagree and move forwards...." and so on.  I kept him there because I did not want to break DS's heart.  I did not want to take it from him, I wanted him to feel a part of it and settle in, me to relax about things and shrug them off....I made so many pros and cons lists and at the end of the day when the pros list was massive and the cons list not so big it didn't matter to me because the big con was "my gut and heart tell me it is not right..." and that was that.  DH and I talked of it every night, non stop, day in day out and came to no decisions ever. And then one day I picked DS up and something had not sat well with me and I texted DH and said "he is never going back. my mind is made up. end of."

DH spent days trying to convince me - look at the pros! he would say.  But I held my ground. I admit I was sooooo scared about what it would do to DS (I know you have seen my threads!!)  but now DH has thanked me for having had the courage and smarts to go with my gut/heart.  

Several people have asked us why we pulled him out and they want the dirt, the gossip, etc. And we have always held to our party line - it just did not work for our family.  There are many happy families there - and we don't want to judge them and say "um, because we think that 1 teacher supervising 60+ kids on a 4 acre playground is not acceptable" etc etc....if it works for THEM it is fine, but it does not work for US.  We hmmd and hawed over making noise about it, but in our case it was pointless and just doesn't work culturally for the way preschools are structured in our city; adding in that my DH sort of has to keep 'mum' about things with his role in the city.  We have, however, kept no secrets to our close friends what the problems were and gossip has slowly worked itself around amongst a LOT of people. It was just the way that we needed to do things on that front.

So with Amelia's preschool I would say that there are obviously many families who really don't care what their kids are eating, or crafts they are doing, or how many snack and break times there are and so on. And to each their own.  But if it is not working for YOU then go with your heart:  Take her out. She will thrive more for it.  It might hurt her to be taken out, it might be a struggle adjusting her to a new place again, but it won't take long before it is a distant memory.

I knwo my DS is younger and he has a very different personality, but we explained it to him in ways that were true but that also made sense in his head.  He has had a lot of tears in leaving his new kindergarten at the end of each day and we have sussed that he is worried that it will be taken from him, just like his last one was. Which breaks my heart, but he is 3. He will come in time to trust that it will not disappear, that he is there for the year and that he can allow himself to love it, you know?  Once he gets past those tears each day he is a different child than he was when I picked him up from his old place.  And it is working for us.  

If you are feeling they are liars, then to me that would be the final straw. It's not about chocolate, or nightmares, or snack time or craft time or settling in, or visitation or anything like that....it is about the fact that their attitude and beliefs don't align themselves with yours.  Stay true to your family values. 

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2011, 18:28:32 pm »
OMG!!!! I cannot believe what you have been thru/are going thru, Anne! You have and are still being treated so inconsiderately. HUGS :-* I remember from way back how important Millie's first steps into school would be to you and how gently you wanted the transition to be ... and they have totally destroyed this for you :'( I feel so bad for you :-* It is such an important step in our lives as parents ... I am astounded at their lack of consideration >:(

I am with Katt, I would so kick up a stink about this with a local newspaper .. maybe having people look at them (as a school) may get them to change some of their attitudes and rectify their awful curriculum (no way should they be having chocolate/treat fuelled topics. Totally the wrong message for the next generation. I'm so angry on your behalf >:(
Andi

Offline gogomama

• Showing Appreciation 17
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2011, 18:36:51 pm »
{{HUGS}} Anne..I am so angry for you. It seems the school is not taking you and your dd's allergy AT ALL seriously. I cannot believe their reaction to you at the meeting. Any allergy should be taken seriously and chocolate is not necessary to run a classroom...they should be striving to make all the children feel included and welcome, not making you jump through hoops to make your dd be able to attend. What a tough spot you are in..I know you don't want to move your dd, but they are honestly being so unreasonable I would definitely start looking into other options. As far as the craft with hershey kisses for goodness sake..what about sending a small fig or hazelnut or something of that nature?

Offline momtonb&ab

• Showing Appreciation 234
« Reply #110 on: November 13, 2011, 18:44:11 pm »
Oh Anne.  I wish I knew what to say ....

Offline CCCmom27

• Showing Appreciation 27
« Reply #111 on: November 13, 2011, 19:35:33 pm »
Don't have much time but have you said anything to any of the other parents?  I know if another parent told me something like that was happening to their dd I would think twice about the kind of people that were looking after my ds!  If they're having no regard for your dd's allergy what else are they blowing off?  They should be considering all the children when picking a craft.  That's just insane to do a chocolate one when there's an allergy.  Would they do something with peanuts if there was a peanut allergy?!?  I'm in TN and we have a news station that does a segment called 'that's messed up'.  Don't know if there's anything like that in NY but that would definetely get their attention if they had a reporter poking around! 

For the white kisses, I know last Christmas (haven't looked for them this year) they had some candy cane kisses that were white chocolate with peppermint.  I don't know if she'd mind having striped acorns but maybe they could work if you wanted her to be able to do the craft?

Offline Mortish

• Showing Appreciation 142
  • Did some one say ice cream???!!!!
« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2011, 00:06:23 am »
Gee Anne, I gotta say I would not only bring that school to their knees by bringing this to the TV or newspapers, but I would take your little lass and get her out of that school.....that is unbelievable that they are doing a craft making chocolates....they are suppose to be promoting healthy eating etc, schools over here are so strict on that they wouldn't even entertain the thought and you certainly would never have the need to ever have this sort of conversation with our teachers....are they strict like that with children that have nut allergies???  In the sense that you aren't allowed to take ANY sort of nuts to school in their lunches?

I vote take her out of that school though regardless, I am astounded that they aren't listening to the fact that your daughter is clearly allergic to chocolate.....

Another thing, can you contact the Education Department over there...do they oversee this school....I would see how high you can take this....they have a duty of care and are clearly not meeting the needs of your child.

Sending you guys heaps of hugs, you guys don't deserve to be treated like that.....this makes my blood boil...what a shame I don't live near you, they wouldn't cross me twice!!!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2011, 01:47:37 am »
Hugs, Anne.  This is just getting more and more ridiculous.  I'm with everyone else.  I know it'll be hard for Amelia and it must feel awful but I your gut has been telling you to get her out of there for some time now and I think you're really right.  I would be thinking about how to alert potential future families as well, as you said.  This just isn't right.  :(
*Kate*

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2011, 02:35:58 am »
Why don't you use the Christmas holidays as a bridge to a new school?  Take her out around now -- Thanksgiving and Christmas will keep you super busy anyway -- then the new year will be a good bridge to a new school.  It just seems like such a mess there :(

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2011, 06:57:47 am »
What i am finding crazy is they were trying to cover themselves and say that they don't think A ate chocolate and you can sit next to someone eating chocolate and get hives if you are allergic and the they are going to have the whole class work and be touching chocolate, that is so effed up  >:( You pay for A to attend the school, why should you be keeping her home because they are doing a whole project around chocolate, CRAZY!!!

I would be calling up the newspaper today and I like the idea about using the holidays to transition to another school. I know Amelia loves it but I don't know if you can trust these teachers who think it is ok to disrespect her mum so much  :(

BTW is she still having terrors?  :-* :-*
Katt

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2011, 14:44:46 pm »
Thnak you guys.   :-*  Validation helps alot.   (((hugs)))

Katt the NTs have slowed...maybe 3 times a week instead of multiple times a night.  We had 4 nights in a row of quiet, then last night was a bad NT.   :'(  So, improving. 

At drop-off today, I asked the director to clarify when the "craft" was, and she confirmed it would be Wednesday, and did I find white kisses to use? I tried to stay as polite as I could, and said "Actually, there is no such thing as white kisses, so I think it's best I keep her at home that day."  And she was all "Oh no...then we just won't do it...or doesn't Michaels have white kisses? Maybe we could get chocolate molds and make some white ones?"  And I wanted to scream "WHY IS THIS STUPID CRAFT SO IMPORTANT TO YOU?!?!? GO COLLECT LEAVES OUTSIDE OR REAL FRIGGIN ACORNS!!!!!!!"  And instead I just said  "It's fine, really...I don't want to cause a problem...do your thing, and I'll just keep her home...it's fine."  And she followed me down the hall, saying "We really don't want her to miss school...we just won't do the craft...we'll do something else..."  And I wanted to go "YA THINK?!?!?"  I got emotional and said "I don't want her to miss class either....but I have to think of her feelings...I'll just keep her home...(tears rolling now...I couldn't stop it...I just hate how I'm viewed there)...it's really fine, truly...just do your craft."  And she said "No...we don't want that.  Let's just not do it."   And she said we could talk later about it. 

UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

*meanwhile, it took me about 30 seconds online to find a craft "edible acorns"  that does NOT use chocolate.  Maybe I should bring it in later. I don't even know anymore. 

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2011, 15:23:41 pm »
Ugh Anne.  I really do understand your feelings.  And hey, great, at the end of the day they see the bigger picture and she is willing to cancel it, but the thing is WHY DID THEY NOT THINK OF THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!!?   Or, why did they not say to you "Just FYI we are doing this craft, and we found some white kisses, so we will have both on offer for all of the kids but we will make sure Millie takes white..."  It's called being a responsible proactive teacher/leader/instructor/director. ::)   

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2011, 15:33:15 pm »
Thanks Mashi. I know you get it.   :-*  I alkso feel like you know what it's like to be misunderstood, and sometimes, just astounded that people don't see things the way you do. I mean, to me, this is so simple...but once again I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, being labeled a PITA, when it's really just so, so simple, and I'm astonished that everyone doesn't see it!!!  This whole thing has just been so exhausting...I hate it.

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2011, 15:34:33 pm »
I'm so sorry Anne. I hate getting 'labeled' somewhere and then everything that happens after that is somehow seen from a tainted perspective. Ugh. I get it and I'm sorry you're going through it.

I'm baffled as well about the craft. If there is a child in the class with a food allergy, then that food needs to be avoided.  Period.  If this were a nut allergy, would they be making acorns out of nuts??  I think not. If I'm being honest here, I think they are not taking Millie's allergy at all seriously. It's not about good nutrition here, it's about Millie's safety and wellbeing, which they are blatantly disregarding. In which case you cannot keep here there.  They have made it clear that they are not willing to change and if you have a problem with it you should leave. That pretty much says it all!! And while Millie deserves to be happy in a preschool, she deserves more a preschool that will respect her family and her in every way. Don't shortsell her or you!!  You both deserve waaayyy better!!

:-*
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls