Author Topic: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?  (Read 24590 times)

Offline We Three

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
Re: How to deal w/chocolate allergy at school?
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 13:52:10 pm »
Cathie you hit the nail on the head. The first day of school was (while really sad!) exciting, and we were SO PROUD of her!!!  But now I do feel robbed, lied to...like they did a "bait and switch" on me...they made themselves out to be one way, but in reality they aren't.  And I am so, so sad about it.  There is such a cloud over the whole thing, with the NTs and they way they just treated dd (and me) with this birthday thing...it makes me so angry!  If I didn't think it would hurt dd, I would pull her out of there on that principle alone.    :'(   :'(   :'(

I am considering just handing out a little note with a friendly sentence ot 2 to the Mom at pick up or drop off..."Hey can you guys drop me a quick note if/when you're brining in a birthday treat for you los? As you might know, my dd is allergic to chocolate, and I want to be sure I bring something in for her on those days in case the treat is something she can't have. Thanks so much! I don't need alot of notice at all...I have vanilla cupcakes at-the-ready in my freezer!  :)  "

Is that ok?  Do you think I should just surpass the teachers entirely and go straight to the Moms?  I can't handle the freaking drama.  The teachres would likely find out about it, but how could they get mad? I'm sure they would, mind you...but....    ???

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 15:11:34 pm »
Who cares if they get mad?  Bypass and go through the Mums, I bet most of those will be a lot more understanding anyway!   

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 15:18:50 pm »
Who cares if they get mad?  Bypass and go through the Mums, I bet most of those will be a lot more understanding anyway!

Ditto!  I had considered doing the same for Spencer, but didn't bother.  At least that way you have a better chance of a mom remembering to tell you in advance!
Heidi

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 16:41:53 pm »
Great idea Anne, I think most would make any birthday treats non chocolate if they knew, I have always asked if their are any kids with allergies or intolerances in Leorah's class because I would hate to leave anyone out but L was MSPI so I think I am more aware, I don't think there are many mums out there that wouldn't be understanding of that  ;) :-*
Katt

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 17:37:44 pm »
Love that idea!!!  As for the 2 snacks/day: think on it ladies.  Cookies at 9.  Quick energy then splat.  Sooo, cupcakes or such at 11.  Make sense?  Cheese and crackers at 9, no splat.  KWIM? 
On a similar type note, one of Mouse's classmates has alopecia.  And will quite happily tell you about it.  :)  Mom/Dad sent home a note to all 1st grade about the condition, what it entails, what they have tried.  Requested that kids watch out for teasing, hoping by explaining from the start, teasing could be avoided.  Added a phone # if anyone had any other questions.  Something like an e-mail or phone # might also help your side of things as people know you are approachable. Love and hugs to Millie Mouse!!!!!! 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 19:57:15 pm »
As for the 2 snacks/day: think on it ladies.  Cookies at 9.  Quick energy then splat.  Sooo, cupcakes or such at 11.  Make sense?  Cheese and crackers at 9, no splat.  KWIM?

lol, good point Jenn! 
Heidi

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2011, 13:39:49 pm »
I cannot even describe how upset I am about all of this. More as the days go on, not less.   :(

Ok, so I am going to type up a little note and give it to the Moms. But I do still want to approach the teachers/the board about what happened last week.  Do you think I should tell the teachers that I am am writing the note? Or just email them about what happened last week, and say that it simply cannot happen again and I that I NEED to be notified.

UGH. Or do it nicey-nicey and say something like "I understand from Amelia that she was given crackers when the other children were having chocolate brownies.  This was a situation that I didn't want my daughter to be in, as per our discussion/email about this subject.  I know how busy you must be running the class, so in an effort to ensure that this situation doesn't happen again, I have instead asked the other Moms to just let me know when/if they will be bringing in desserts that Amelia is allergic to, so that I may provide her a similar "treat" from home and she isn't left out."   That sounds b!tchy.....and all-business, which is not how I am in real life. 

I feel like they're going to ask me to leave. 

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 14:00:30 pm »
I just have a second, but this has been on my mind since I saw it yesterday.

Again, typying fast and just have a sec. So I don't Want any hurt feelings.

Anne-I get that you went round and round and round again about this food thing.  What I don't get is what if it was life threatening?  I wouldn't want my child in this sort of situation.  I am sorry, because i know how gosh darn uoset you are by this.  First school sitatution, you were mislead, Amelia is haooy and you dont want to pull.  Any thoughts on speaking to your dr.  Get them involved a tiny bit?  Thinking letter from them explaining it is a serious sitaution (even if you are lucky it is not life threatening.  Leave this out.). What would they do with a child who has a life threatening illness.

Thinking to a few kids we have this year in school. This is not to metioned the other years.  For some, it is life threatening.  For others, they just can't be around, but shouldn't be around certain food.  Can your story be changed a bit? 

I realize it breaks your heart to think your child feels left out.  I can appreciate this.  I always hear this from parents of children will allergies.

All I know, is I would do whatever I could to have a child with allergeries be safe and feel good about their snack time.  Right now, planning a bday party.  Many conversations with the parents of those with allergies.  Again, I am willing to do whatever is necessary to keep everyone safe and make the children feel good about this experience.  I really hope the other parents can feel the same way. 

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2011, 16:24:11 pm »
I know I'm not the most socially-aware person on the planet, but to me that note doesn't sound bitchy at all. You've phrased it in a way that suggests that you're offering to relieve them of a responsibility and make their lives easier. I might add that you'd like to be able to keep a stash of her things at school to prevent her being left out again, and while you're at it, I'd also look into getting a doctor's note about the chocolate allergy to keep on file at the school.

Offline georgeo

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2011, 18:46:30 pm »
Is it possible to leave a few cupcakes in the freezer at school? That way noone needs to think in advance....other than to let it thaw....easy!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2011, 19:05:41 pm »
I think that note sounds great, and you may even find you have common ground with some other mums-I can't imagine NO other mums there take issue with the type of snacks on offer-not necessarily WRT allergies, but purely the fact that they're unhealthy!
X
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline We Three

• The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 21:58:38 pm »
 That's the issue, Charli, and why I am scared.  The parents supply the snacks...so I cannot even let on that I think some of the choices are horrendous, since I don't know who brings what! On the 1st of each month, each parent brings in a snack (a bag of whatever, a box of whatever, fruit is ok too.) This way the school has 17 different snacks. The next month, it's juice from all 17 parents, the next month a snack, and so on.  So they have a stocked pantry full of whatever...all from the parents.  I have to be soooooo careful not to say anything negative for fear of offending someone...although whoever brought M&M cookies for 10 am snack...I'd like to shake her silly.  >:(

Offline nwmm

• Showing Appreciation 61
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 02:16:12 am »
I know every school is different, but I am used to doing it differently--at our nursery school. 1). If a snack/ingredient is off limits then no parent may bring it.  2). Parents who have children with allergies must *check* the snack each AM and *approve* it for their child.

If they allowed you to check the ingredients and approve it then you would know what is being served when. 

If someone had a child, with a life threatening allergy, the school would need to do it diffently.  You usually sit down with the school nurse or director to talk about things, draw up a plan if an allergy occurenced, have the plan laminated and posted in the classroom so ANY qualified adult can walk into the room and see who has what allergy.

One of my lo is allergeric to a certain antibiotic.  Our plan is still posted and laminated in the classroom. (nursery school and now preschool).  The drs. Say you must post it.  Somewhat silly because no one would administrate this medicine with out a prescription and I would be present for it.  Schools look at it as what if I am not reachable and the school needed to get medical attnetion for my lo.  Pretty extreme.  Your situation is more likely to occur

In today's world, I find it hard to believe that they haven't experienced this before in their classrooms.  I can only imagine the liability if they messed up. 

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 15:11:18 pm »
Wow, Anne.  I'm just catching up on this thread.  The things that stick out to me are: complete disregard by the preschool of Amelia's feelings, complete failure to follow through on a plan that was put in place for you to provide an alternate snack for her, total lack of respect for the children's nutritious wellbeing, and no plan on the school's part to remedy this.  Totally unacceptable.  I know Millie likes it there, but she'd like any preschool where there are kids her age to play with and where she'd be learning new things.  Is it possible to address this with a letter to parents, the email to the preschool you had outlined, a letter from your doctor, and then a new hunt for another preschool?  I just couldn't keep my girls somewhere where safety was at stake and their feelings were not being looked out for in special circumstances.

As for what happens in our preschool:  every parent provides a single serving of fresh fruit or veggies each morning they drop their child off.  The staff cut it all up, put it on a plate, and it is the 'sharing snack' of the morning.  They are encouraged to try some of everything, so I often send stuff I know they're reluctant to eat a home (kiwi, peppers, mangoes, tomatoes) so that they at least get some there!  There is only one morning snack (two is nuts by the way, like they're filling time!), then lunch and afternoon snack which are solely provided by the parents.  If you include garbage snacks, like fruit-roll-ups or candy, they are not offered to your child and will get sent home in the lunch bag with a note encouraging better choices (nicely worded, but the point gets across, thankfully I've never gotten one, but I work very hard at providing nutritious choices).  If you send baked goods from home (I make nutritious muffins) that's fine after they've eaten all their fruits and veggies.  All parents are reminded in the monthly newsletter to please provide at least two more servings of fruits or veggies for the day's meals as part of Canada's Food Guide recommendations.  Some parents need to be told this stuff.  I don't take offence to it because nutrition is #1 on my priority list.

As far as allergies go, there is a child there with anaphylactic peanut allergy, so no peanuts or products containing peanuts are allowed.  Period.  You'd think a chocolate allergy would be easier to get around, since most kids shouldn't be eating chocolate on a daily basis anyways!!! 

Hugs to you and Millie.  This sucks!  :-*
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls

Offline marensmama

• Showing Appreciation 202
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 04:16:30 am »
Any headway on this one, Anne? 
Nicole - Mom to My Lovely Girls