Author Topic: Introducing solids next week...  (Read 1719 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: October 07, 2011, 00:46:47 am »
My LO will be 5 1/2 months old next week and I'm planning to start her on solids, just slowly, 1 tsp./day to start. I'm going to introduce avocado as her first food. She is BF, and I'm wondering if I should add BM to the avocado to thin it a little or if anyone's had success just pureeing without adding any liquid.

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
Re: Introducing solids next week...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
My LO was exclusively breastfed too and I never added any breastmilk (or other kind of milk) to her purees - she took to them just fine.  However, they are all different!  If I were you, I'd try without any bm first and if she's not too sure about it, perhaps try adding some.  Just take it easy, experiment with different things and try to enjoy it!  It's not about quantity at all at this stage - just getting them used to the idea of eating something other than milk and trying new tastes.  Good luck!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline cath~

• Showing Appreciation 152
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 13:05:18 pm »
Re-reading your post, I just had another thought. 
We started on pureed carrots, butternut squash, sweet potato, swede.. (lots of sweet, orange veggies!) and all the purees did have water in them (from steaming the veggies) so they were quite runny (but not as runny as yoghurt, which I know is the consistency some books suggest).  If the avocado puree seems to thick, then yes, you might want to water it down a bit and milk is obviously more nutritious than water, but I don't think it would matter if you added water instead.
I was writing my previous post thinking more about taste than consistency, iykwim.
Hope I'm not being too confusing now!
I guess, what I'm trying to say is just experiment with different consistencies and tastes and see what your LO likes best.  HTH

PS I love your photo of her in the basket!
DD1 - 8 years old
DD2 - 5 years old

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 20:28:39 pm »
Thanks for your help. I'll keep those ideas in mind for sure.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 11:42:32 am »
I never pureed avacado so not sure on the consistency so would say just give it a go. If it is too thick then thin it down!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 18:02:56 pm »
I occasionally thinned things with bm if they were to hot or thick because it was easier than doing anything else. One thing I would suggest is learning to hand express if you can't already so you can do a quick squirt into the bowl if you need to! So much easier than pumping if you only need a tiny amount.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 23:19:38 pm »
I still thin out avocado for my DD at 11 months - it's pretty pasty on it's own... I would think it's like eating a spoonful of peanut butter consistency wise...

I used water to puree it... now I just use a fork to mash it really well.  TIP - it will mash with a fork as smooth as silk if you freeze if first, then defrost it ;)

Offline em_dinges

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 15:15:37 pm »
I've got a 7.5 mo old who we started feeding when we were on vacation when she was 5.5 mo old.  We didn't have any bowels or spoons or bibs but she was demanding to eat.  We just mashed up avocado with a fork then put bits on our fingers and put it in her mouth.  Getting food off a spoon is a skill and getting food off mom's finger is easier, especially if you roll your finger and deposit the food on her tongue for her.  She still has to do all the "chewing" and moving the food to the back of her mouth. 

Full fat greek yogurt is also good for thinning or thickening foods, and getting extra calories in dishes like applesauce!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 18:12:33 pm »
em_dinges - OMG!  I was just thinking that my last batch of yams was a bit thin... why didn't I think of full fat greek yogurt?!?!  THANK YOU!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 19:53:01 pm »
In the UK anyway, it's no dairy apart from BM or FM until 6 months so yoghurt is out till 6 months.  Not sure if opinion varies around the world.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 22:58:37 pm »
Here in Canada, no dairy before 6 months either... we are one of the many countries that is no solids at all until 6 months, though few people do wait that long :)

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 23:20:05 pm »
Just gave her avocado today- she loved the experience, but made many funny faces with avocado and took about four good bites. Think I'll try sweetening it a little bit tomorrow with breast milk.

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 23:27:45 pm »
LOL!  Sounds like a great first try!  For sure add a little BM - it will give it a bit of familiarity too :)