Author Topic: 3 1/2 month old started solids  (Read 3799 times)

Offline jubbs

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:40:50 pm »
Hi

So I started solids with my LO 3 days ago. His weight gain curve has slowed dramatically because everything he eats he throws up or poops out. Literally he was having 3-4 full bowl movements in a day. His paediatrician was worried and said if there is no change we'll have to start on meds. She said she wanted him to start on solids - 1 tbsp the first day, 2 tbsp then on till day 5 when we do morning and night.

Anyways im a bit worried - isn't he too young? Since I've started the solids he has only had one small bowl movement - is he getting constipated? did i do the wrong thing introducing it?

He was exclusively BF till we added the rice cereal, and i add my milk to the cereal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 13:32:59 pm »
I would not have been at all happy to give my baby solids at 3.5 months.  What is his weight and has he dropped through the centiles? 

Why is  he throwing up so much?  Is reflux an issue?  What meds was she talking about?

Rice cereal can be incredibly constipating. 

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
Re: 3 1/2 month old started solids
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 14:06:53 pm »
I agree with Shiv, 3.5m is very early to start, especially if he is BF. Have you tried to get a second opinion? I don't know where you are in the world and it's possible, but I am wondering about this Dr. Why would she recommend it? Has she done some tests do figure out why is he spitting?
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 15:47:26 pm »
I have heard of putting babies onto solids early due to reflux.  Tbh I'm not sure whether some rice cereal is going to do any more or less harm than infant gaviscon.  I would say a paediatrician is more likely to know more than I do but if you are worried, ask a second opinion and stick to the rice cereal as that's very unlikely to cause reactions apparently.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline jubbs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 16:03:39 pm »
My LO was born at 6lb 12oz, and by day 3 he was at 7 lbs. My midwife was always very happy with his weight gain and so was his doctor. I started seeing the paediatrician at 2 months and told her that I was worried cause he was spitting up a lot and crying after too. She said she wasn't worried cause he was gaining well.

Because I wasn't happy with him still crying I decided to cut out dairy and gluten from my diet - which made a huge difference, and even once I introduced it in he was still fine - spitting up regardless but not crying about it. At his 3 month appointment he was only 12 lbs which worried the doctor.

I live in Canada so pretty good doctors - will try and get a second opinion. What is the average weight for a 3 month old?

So far no tests done - should i suggest that we do it? She didn't mention which meds but im guessing reninedine or something similar.

Offline ZacsMumme

• Showing Appreciation 425
  • You complete me
    • Tomi & Roo Boutique
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 20:07:09 pm »
told her that I was worried cause he was spitting up a lot and crying after too. She said she wasn't worried cause he was gaining well.
(HUGS) I have no idea why but there is this huge misconception that if your LO is gaining weight then their reflux can not be an issue. Babies with silent reflux often gain weight well (mine was a chunky munky!) but they get awful pain from the stomach acid coming up into the throat. Like heartburn) You may find your LO has dairy etc intolerance's, which it sounds like you worked out yourself :)

He may not have reflux, but it is certainly a possibility. A second opinion would certainly be worth it I think :-* Here in NZ ranitidine is usually the first med offered to silent refluxers. Try not to worry about weight, really though he isn't that small and certainly not worryingly underweight IMO! In our plunket guide 13pds is average for a 3 month old and these are old charts based on bottle fed babies. However, if he hasnt gained in a month for example this could be why the Dr is worrying.

I would also stop the rice cerial. ....it can be so constipating for babies, even when they are ready for solids, and 3 months is really really young. WHO recommends no earlier than 4 months because babies systems are not mature enough to digest solids.

(HUGS) sounds like you have had a bit of a rough time :-*
***Sara***
https://www.facebook.com/tomiandroo

DS1 - Our sensitive soul. Silent reflux.

DS2 Our cheeky chipmunk. Reflux, MSPI.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 23:17:28 pm »
I would stop the solids as well - too young.  It could do much more harm to his digestive system than help to it.  I suspect that the dr thinks he has reflux as she is suggesting the rice to keep things down in the tummy... I would be more inclined to trial a reflux med for 2 weeks.

Offline gabrielsmommy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 01:51:04 am »
I agree with the others about possible reflux.  My 4 month old son has reflux and a MPSI and has always gained weight.  He was on Zantac, but is now on Prilosec.  My pediatrician did not want me to start rice cereal even though it is used a lot for reflux in the United States for even very young babies.

Offline Ima shel Alon

• Showing Appreciation 204
  • Alon was once a tiny baby
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 04:36:21 am »
I just remembered now, after reading the other posts, that Tracey writes that one shouldn't give solids too early, because it can cause food refusal in a later stage (not so late, just a few months later), because at this age when they are so young they need to suck a lot and if they don't get enough sucking now then they'll want it later.
My journey of making 1000 goodies using unrefined sugar: http://1000crumbs.com/

dburseth

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 05:17:56 am »
jubbs, I'm a new mom and have no experience with reflux but re: 3-4 poops a day, my LO was still having I'd say 3-5 a day up until 4 mos when all of a sudden he reduced to 1-2 an d once in awhile skips a day.  He's 4 months and almost 2 weeks now and EBF.

Why was your doc worried about that may poops at 3.5 months?  Is it not still within normal range?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 18:04:05 pm »
Normal for a EBF baby is multiple a day or once every 10 days ;)

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 17:58:25 pm »
Hi,

Here is a bit more info on reflux

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=654.0

anything ring a bell?

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 20:16:03 pm »
Food intolerance is also very likely here - given that you noticed improvement from starting an elimination diet. Remember that BM is a very good filter, so if your LO was reacting to BM they a likely VERY sensitive. Exposing direct to the LO at this age could lead to significant GI upset.

I think your LO has reflux and food intolerances, and early solids is not appropriate management for either condition. It is a very old fashioned approach to managing infant reflux.

Offline jubbs

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 23:13:07 pm »
So the LO was had 2 bowl movements, he's going everyother day - is that good enough? I am going to try and get a second opinion - do i just call any peadetricians office?

I really don't want to give him the meds if i dont have to - how do i know which is the better of the two evils?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 23:17:31 pm »
You can certainly try calling other pead's offices...

I would stop the cereal.  Every other day is strange for an EBF baby on solids - how is he when he does poop?  Is the poop soft?

Think of it this way, if you had gastric reflux, you would take meds.  Why would he be any different?  Rest assured that it is something he will outgrow... it's fairly common... babies have a weak sphincter at the top of their stomachs and the acid just shoots back up - causing extreme pain.  It's like the worst heatburn you have ever had.