Author Topic: overeating toddler  (Read 889 times)

Offline shirat

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 09, 2011, 18:01:14 pm »
my 2 year old has always loved food, its a bit in her genes from my husband :) but its gotten way out of control, she cannot pace herself, if food is around she is around, she will keep eating and eating until i just remove all the food form the table. All day she is asking for snacks- makes no difference if its fruit or vegi or pretzels or rice cakes- it just has to be something. any advice on how to teach portion control and how to teach to stop when you feel full?

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: overeating toddler
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 18:14:34 pm »
Sounds like my DS (and DH!!!) - is your LO overweight?  I am still amazed at how much food Murray can tuck away but he seems to need it as he is not overweight in the slightest.  As long as you are giving healthy food it should be fine.

They also go through little growth spurts where they eat even more (with Murray he had the very occasional day where he didn't eat as much!).

Also - ensure she has enough water to drink as sometimes hunger can actually be because they are thirsty.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: overeating toddler
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 19:16:37 pm »
Maybe with a child like this she needs to have structured times and be asked whether she's full or not?  I've no idea whether that would work but I know I eat far more if I'm snacking all day, especially if I'm concentrating on something else.  Also does your family snack all day too?  Maybe she's learning from example.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/