Author Topic: child harnesses during walks  (Read 5753 times)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: child harnesses during walks
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 18:57:58 pm »
I used to hate them and in most ways still do.  When I was pregnant with Oliver, though, I didn't feel safe just holding Murray's hand (he is spirited and sometimes tries to let go of my hand).  I got him a little backpack which has a parent handle on it.  Whenever we went out he had it on (he loved it!) but I still got him to hold my hand, as I wanted him to learn that the safe thing to do it to hold hands (I felt just letting him run ahead wouldn't teach safety) ... the strap was just for my re-assurance.  I still use it now when we are walking as I have the buggy to push too - he is too excitable to just hold hands and not try to wriggle out of my hand (and wouldn't just hold the buggy).  

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/littlelife-toddler-runabout-daysack/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=LittleLife%20toddler%20runabout%20daysack&utm_campaign=littlelife&referid=googwig&utm_adgroup=littlelife_Toddler%20Runabout%20Daysack - it's also handy for carrying a change of trousers, and snack, etc ;)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline shivi

• Showing Appreciation 177
  • cuddling with my monkeys!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 19:16:09 pm »
I bought one, thinking I'd use it with extra spirited and ultra fast Oscar.

The only times we actually used it was in a cemetary when he just over 2 yrs and there were crowds and candles in glass lamps everywhere....this was at Warsaw Uprising celebrations - remembering his great grandpa. Other than that, I used it at the metro station when heavily pg in winter with Emma, so Ozzie 2.5 ish and me slower and slower and the ground icy outside and wet inside. Buggy wasn't an option as the lift was very often broken so it was easier to get to work (preschool for him at the time) by using the steps than by asking someone to carry the buggy.
Also used it for a few more months with him after E was born (until I got my PandTs) if we were out walking and she was sleeping in the carrycot oldfashioned pram. Oscar actually gained road safety skills around a year ago only but finished the darting away by 3.5 for sure. Unfortunately, PL drivers are notorious especially for the right filter lights at traffic junctions. Pedestrians in the middle of the crossing, when the green man is showing, have been known to be run over due to the filter light allowing cars to turn and drive over the crossing "as long as its clear".

My mum never needed one for me - I was a spirited but scaredy cat touchy kid. My sis was the angel with fearless spirited wings and spent many months on a harness.

I've never used it for Emma though....not even once. The harness was placed in our cheapie Ikea highchair when she was a few months old and has been used for this purpose ever since. Much easier when you only have to concentrate on one kid. Emma is much faster than Oscar but is scared of cars and roads, thankfully....and metro tracks too ;-)

I think a lot of our opinions are not based only on the spiritedness of our kids but also the environment in which we live, the amount of walking we have to do and our physical fitness/pg or non pg state.....mine for sure :-(

S x
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 19:17:45 pm by shivi »

Siobhain - Mammy to Oscar and Emma, forever spirited, currently bilingual and curly, formerly baldy, extended breastfeeders!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 19:31:44 pm »
Harnesses/ reins or wrist straps aren't leashes. IMO there is nothing disgusting or demeaning about wanting to keep your child safe in a way that is not causing them physical harm. A wrist strap allows my very independant daughter to walk by herself while she learns the rules about walking beside me and holding hands and it gives me the security of knowing she won't end up in the road if she decides to take off. She wasn't happy about using the rucksack I bought with a parent strap so I haven't used it with her, DS was happy to have reins on so we did use them with him.

Back when I was a child our prams and highchairs didn't have safety straps so reins or harnesses were used by the majority of people to make sure we didn't fall out and injure ourselves. This isn't a new way to keep children safe.

Laura

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 19:34:47 pm »
Ok, locking this as I think the tone is getting negative. OP's question has been answered   Reins are not my personal preference, but there is no reason to make others feel like bad parents for making their own parental choices. This is a non judgement website.  Question?  PM me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 22:40:07 pm by aisling »

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months