Author Topic: can you tell me your 'rules' about trying food...  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Tweakster

• Tweakster extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 444
Re: can you tell me your 'rules' about trying food...
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 20:51:47 pm »
We don't make him try it and have no rules about food.  DH and I are both very very sensitive and picky eaters and grew up being forced by our parents and society/friends and really really resented it - still do!  It wasn't the one bite rule like Anna has though.  Ours was sat at the table until the food was gone :( or whatever.

He's a great eater when he's hungry so when he won't try something we know a) he's not hungry or b) he just doesn't like the look/smell of it, in which case fine.  We still continue to offer the said food though.  He's not getting off that easily lol  He'll see it on his plate again and again and one day we're pretty sure he'll try it.  We also don't provide alternative meals.  If he rejects the dinner that's made, that's it.  He gets his fruit like always and some milk before bed and he has to make do with that.
The tweaking never stops!

Offline speechie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 303
  • 7 years of spirited bliss!
Re: can you tell me your 'rules' about trying food...
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 00:11:26 am »
Quote from: ~Sara~ on October 14, 2011, 03:57:20 PM
Now that he's getting older, we stress the importance of trying ONE bite of the food.  If he doesn't like, we don't make it a negative thing, but we say thank you for trying it.  Can't force him to eat, ya know?
This was our rule.  She has to try it at the very least.  One bite of each type of food.

OK- so I've got a GREAT eater, but I can share that when he has a fussy day, we have one rule- he really needs to take a 'no thank you' bite. Basically just to be polite and try each food. I got that verbage from his preschool.
Cathie
                Nick spirited angel, born August 2, 2007