Author Topic: DS wont give up bottle feeding  (Read 1027 times)

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DS wont give up bottle feeding
« on: October 14, 2011, 19:48:30 pm »
My DS is 10 mths and my Pedi said I should try putting his formula in a sippy cup to prepare him to be weaned once he is 12mths to a sippy cup.  Problem is, he only drinks a tiny bit out of sippy cups (have tried numerous cups) and chews/plays with it mostly.  He is a high needs spirited baby and goes hysterical if I don't give him his bottle. Should I worry? Do i just keep trying?

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Re: DS wont give up bottle feeding
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 19:53:17 pm »
Well I can tell you that my DS had a BT bottle up until he was 2, his morning bottle we stopped at 16 months. My DD is a year now and nowhere near drinking milk from a sippy yet. She still has 3 bottles a day.

The main concern with bottle feeding after 1 is tooth decay so just be sure to take care of his wee toothipegs. I personally see no reason why a bub HAS to be taking a sippy by 12 months. Its alot of pressure to get them to take it when the fact is that sometimes it takes a while for them to get used to it.

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 19:54:01 pm »
Meant to add.... :-[

Just keep offering the sippy whenever you can and he will get the hang of it.  :)

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 19:59:03 pm »
What Emma said!

Also what type of sippy are you using? If it's a valved non-spill one try a free flow one instead, they are much easier to get the hang of. I used the Tommee Tippee basic flip top cup with my kids, I did start with the non-spill for DS until I tried them one day, I couldn't get anything out of it!

Some parents do manage to switch to cups ny 1, but the majority of us keep bottles for a while after. My DS had a bedtime bottle until 2.5 whereas DD switched to a cup at 18 months with no problem. Both were off the morning bottle by 18 months. Don't worry too much and just let him keep practising with the sippy, he will be able to switch at some point!

Laura

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 02:17:27 am »
I actually asked my own mother about this just the other day as DD is 11 months - apparently, both my sister and I had a bedtime bottle until we were about 18 months old and could do well with a sippy ;)

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 18:27:09 pm »
We are also still doing morning & BT bottle & DS is almost 14months.  He drinks water from a sippy great during the day, but will not entertain drinking his milk from it!  I just make sure his teeth are well brushed, & he NEVER goes to bed with a bottle, so I don't feel too pressured to switch to milk from a cup, even though the advice is that they *should*.  I guess they'll do it when they are ready.

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 14:06:04 pm »
Thanks all for responding! I guess I should clarify slightly.....The Pedi said to not put regular milk in the bottle...only his sippy cup to get use to it otherwise he will never give up the bottle. Not only does he barely use the sippy cup, but only wants his formula and refuses it from the sippy. I feel like I might have to put regular milk in his bottle to get him to drink milk. I don't know what to do! have tried every possible sippy cup, removed valves, tried the straw and he only drinks a little from them and mostly chews and plays with them. I tried hard spout, soft spout, freee flow..you name it and it has been tried.

Offline ~emmalou~

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • ~~The road to a friends house is never long~~
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 14:24:16 pm »
my ds is nearly two and still has his bottle. he is very spirited. he screams at the sight of any other way to drink lol,  ie sippy cup, straw cup, erm anything really! I think spirited can sometimes struggle to soothe themselves, so this is my ds's way of doing it kwim? No help really, just so you know you are not alone at all! xx
proud mum to my 3 gorgeous children

Jack    12/05/05
Abigail  07/01/07
Sam     24/10/09

worrying is as about effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 19:14:04 pm »
Have you tried mixing the formula and milk and gradually increasing the amount of milk?  Could be the change in flavour that he doesn't appreciate :)