Author Topic: Classes - how many are a good idea for toddlers?  (Read 2667 times)

Offline katyusha

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Kate mum to E, M, F and 2 little souls in heaven
Classes - how many are a good idea for toddlers?
« on: October 17, 2011, 23:15:00 pm »
Just wondering how many classes do you do a week and  what is reealistic to expect. Currently DD does one 30 mins music class and just now starts to participate after 6 lessons. I was not quick enough so missed out on swimming, dancing and other classes, but I figure with nursery 4 days a week it is fine anyway. The current class she is in she is right by my side so not yet ready to be without a parent i think. Yet they do a French class at nursery ( prob about 2 times 20 mins) and apparently she goes a second time after her go.
I am doing a music class for ds back to back aftr dD and it is for his age group but the whole time I spend  pulling him away from the teacher and her enticing box of instruments, her ipod or from other people's shoes. Not sure if he is too young? But others there are same age or younger? Last week I was silly and turned up to a dance class hoping to drop in for free trial session without calling first. After asking us to wait and after seeing a sea of girls in pink ballet uniforms we were told there are no spaces. So gald DD did not cry. Silly, silly mama! But now she keeps showing me her pink scirt and saying that she is ready now and that there should be a space now. Look mama, I do ballet ( one leg up, head to the ground, scirt over head) so so sweet. I told her not to worry and that we'll find something in time. Seems tricky as many places are booked up, but then kids  forget things as well, so not such a big deal.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 23:18:40 pm by katyusha »

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Classes - how many are a good idea for toddlers?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 10:02:06 am »
Henry is in nursery 3 mornings now so we don't do classes. I think that is enough for him but I am thinking of going back to tumble tots as it is on a day we have no car and we can easily walk to it and it would get us out of the house for 45 minutes.

When he was younger i.e. 1-18 months he did tumble tots, a music class and a swimming class. We take him swimming ourselves now and they do music at nursery. It all adds up and we are paying as he is at a private nursery atm.

I was thinking of starting something with DD in Jam when she will be 7 months, more for me really!
I am doing a music class for ds back to back aftr dD and it is for his age group but the whole time I spend  pulling him away from the teacher and her enticing box of instruments, her ipod or from other people's shoes.
Yes DS was like this too. For a while I could manage it but when he hot about 18 months it got too much and he also wanted to be in the park more than at the class (the class backed onto the park) so we left and started going to the park more!

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:31 am »
We generally do a 45 min music/dance session on a Monday avo but this Monday DD1 didn't want to go! Think she was tired as she does preschool Mon & Thurs mornings (3 hours) Then a 2hour playgroup on a Thurs avo usually, then sometimes a messy play session on a Friday. So only really one "class" a week...Gets too expensive if we do too many! Now the girls are a bit older it's much easier to do things like go to the park, walk in the woods etc. And cheaper ;) xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline katyusha

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 15:42:35 pm »
Thanks! I think we will stick to one class as well for now as too much of a drama.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 17:31:55 pm »
Olly goes to nursery 3 days a week. We also do 1 gym class (soft play really) and a playgroup. Every other week we also see our antenatal friends and their LOs. Quite a busy week really!

Offline katyusha

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 20:56:52 pm »
I guess play dates and playgroups are probably more important for them to learn all the social skills. I have not even thoughtof that! So won't feel bad if have to stop DSs class if he gets even more determined to explore and won't stay in a circle for a singalong. Unfotunately have not been able to find a gym type class on my day off with them. Oh well.

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 17:35:40 pm »
We've increased the number recently but I wish there were more on a weekend.  We currently do two singing classes (with story telling etc) for 45 mins each and a play class (where they give you new ideas for playing with your child, only just discovered it and it's really good) for 1 hour 30.  When I first went back to work (3 days) though I did very little.  I don't think either is wrong or right tbh, it's as much for your benefit as your child's at this age IMO.  Personally I like things to be structured because I struggle in mum & tots groups; I find them so competitive and cliquey but with the groups I go to, there's no time for that.

I'm hoping he gets rounded out by nursery!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/