Author Topic: One week into solids... looking for advice  (Read 1307 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
One week into solids... looking for advice
« on: October 18, 2011, 01:11:54 am »
My LO is one week shy of 6 months. We started her on solids a week ago. I introduced her to avocado which she loved, ate 1+ Tbsp no problem. I waited 4 days and then introduced her to bananas, which she liked as well. Then 2 days later I introduced her to rice cereal (wasn't planning on doing this quite so soon but she started waking up hungry at 6am). She devours rice cereal. I've been giving her 1 Tbsp. and she would eat more if I let her. She weighed about 14.5 lbs at her 5 month check-up. I BF her 4 times a day.
For the past two days, I've been giving her breakfast (avocado/bananas) probably about 2 Tbsp one hour after her 7am feeding. Then she gets fed at 11am, 3pm, 1 Tbsp rice cereal at 5pm, and bf at 7pm before bed.
My question is, how do I know how much solids to give her? I'm sure she'd eat much more than I am giving her right now, but I don't want her to cut back on her milk intake (which to my knowledge hasn't happened yet) and I don't want her to get over-fed either.
I'm also not sure when to offer her solids at lunch as well.
So how much is too much, and should I just keep feeding her until she has enough? Or increase her feedings by 1 Tbsp each week?
She is a super good eater so I'm just afraid that if I take her cues, she'll eat too much!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: One week into solids... looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 17:26:09 pm »
Hi,

here is a fairly standard rouitne for 6 months old,

7am - Milk
8am - Solids
11am - Milk
12pm - Solids
3pm - Milk
4/4.30pm - Solids
6.30pm - Milk
10.30pm - D/F if still doing one.

I would increase food amounts slowly so his tummy gets used to larger amounts of food but really let him eat what he wants but carefully monitor his milk supply. If that drops then cut back on the solids.

HTH