Author Topic: NEW IDEA!!! could you try it out and let me know!  (Read 2956 times)

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
NEW IDEA!!! could you try it out and let me know!
« on: October 18, 2011, 16:54:43 pm »
So my psych teacher had a new way to get picky eaters to eat, I am not currently working with any toddlers and was wondering if anyone would be willing to try it out and report back. This professor is pretty amazing and creative is actually supports BW, any participants would be greatly appreciated :)

Here is the suggestion she gave:

Take an empty egg carton, and fill each little "cup" with a different finger food.
place it in front of the toddler/child and go do something else in the kitchen
Dont talk about the food to them just go about your business keeping an eye on them but not staying too close.

If anyone tries this could you let me know how it goes:) Thanks in advance!
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline anna*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
Re: NEW IDEA!!! could you try it out and let me know!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 17:48:39 pm »
We did this but with muffin cases rather than egg carton. My LO enjoyed it although was not a particularly picky eater - just normal toddler picky!

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 17:53:48 pm »
Heehee! That's about as new as, maybe, telephones. Not cordless ones, either. LOL Oftentimes the novelty of a new presentation is enough to help little ones get past strongly-held perceptions about what they find acceptable foodwise.

But "new?" Nope. Look, a whole BLOG dedicated to muffin tin meals! http://michellesjournalcorner.blogspot.com/ And other links out the wazoo where I found that one. ;)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 17:57:29 pm »
Just curious what the theory is - is it just taking away the food-on-a-plate situation?  Afraid neither of my boys is picky so can't help out (but glad they aren't picky!!)
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline anna*

• Showing Appreciation 900
  • My two
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 17:58:15 pm »
I think as Deb said Lucy it's just novelty of presentation.

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 19:23:50 pm »
Its the novelty of presentation but in combination with, a no pressure meal. The Theory is that if you start the "unsupervised" with the egg carton that newness helps set the tone for a defferent kind of meal time. So its not just one or the other but a combination of the two happening together.

I have to say I was skeptical too, but she swears by it and has 4 kids of her own, so I figured I would put it out there.
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline Mama2boys

• Showing Appreciation 247
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 20:46:03 pm »
DS2 eats way better when left alone. DS1 stops eating when left alone. Go figure!

DS1 is 4.5 and DS2 is 1.5

9 and 6, oh boy!

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 21:00:01 pm »
Yeah I think this is a 2yr+ idea, as everyone can attest to I am sure, after they hit 2 sometimes before its like they get a mind of their own and need to do everything by themselves!!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 23:17:41 pm »
Well, I don't do the egg carton, but if I am not at the table eating with the kids I just do dishes and let them eat what they will.  Even if I am at the table I don't push eating or tasting things much if they aren't receptive to it.  I'm afraid with my toddler (has autism) she would come to expect an egg carton at every meal...oh, and she's allergic to eggs so that might get the wrong idea in her head!!!
Heidi

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 23:32:37 pm »
Ha well I guess that would be a bit confusing to be eating out of an egg carton and being allergic to eggs :o

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 00:40:45 am »
Ha well I guess that would be a bit confusing to be eating out of an egg carton and being allergic to eggs :o

yup!  though I do have kids dishes that have separate compartments for food, same idea I guess, and they do love using those bowls, I often put snacks in them.
Heidi

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:31:41 am »
Well, I don't do the egg carton, but if I am not at the table eating with the kids I just do dishes and let them eat what they will. 

Ditto!  I do try and eat with my son but it only happens for breakfast and lunch and he eats more slowly than me but I do find just getting on with something else sometimes means he just gets on with eating.  I didn't realise it was a 'technique'!

Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 06:52:43 am »
We used a book in work called 'Just take a bite' and thats pretty much what it outlined to do.  Worked great for semi picky eaters but not for very picky eaters and they often needed more input (so touching-kiss-smell-lick-eat approach for new foods over a few weeks as they did not just try new foods)!

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 22:50:04 pm »
Yeah I guess its just a  hit and miss like most things in a toddlers world, I am more curious as to what makes a "picky" eater picky. I was a picky eater as a kid I only ate a few things, now I will try/eat anything once:) So who really knows right!

Offline lilybug25

• Showing Appreciation 20
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 23:25:03 pm »
My Lo isn't what you would call a picky eater but there are some foods she will not eat for me but has no problem eating for my sister. When I finish with the eggs I will try it with the 4 foods she won't eat for me: strawberries, blueberries, lettus and tomatoes.
BTW lo will eat better for me if I am not at the table with her but eats better for dh if he is with her.

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 15:34:55 pm »
Hiya,

I bought the compartment plates with pictures on. Animals and cars. DS loves the seperate parts but doesn't try any more foods of them  :(. I never supervise now, it always makes him eat less. I don't even comment as that can result in his food ending up on the floor  ::). Mind you I'm open to any ideas so I guess I can try it.

(X)