Author Topic: WWYD?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
WWYD?
« on: October 18, 2011, 21:33:04 pm »
DS (28 months) has been a picky eater always, getting worse around 15-18 months. On tops of food intolerances and texture issues, he won't use cutlery either. Which would be fine except he HATES having his hands messy and doesn't like the way certain foods feel. But until recently he always would eat pasta as it's his favorite. He likes red sauce - either plain, with meat, etc. Lately though he won't feed himself that either and wants me to spoon feed it to him. Otherwise he refuses to eat and is hungry and cranky. Should I feed it to him or insist he do it himself or go hungry? He CAN do it, he just doesn't want to it seems...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: WWYD?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:32:35 am »
Difficult.  I think they can miss meals at this age but it could turn into a battle of wills.  I wanted to bump it for you though.  Anyone else got any ideas?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 14:49:41 pm »
He ended up eating a bit more as the evening went on but still not much. It's so odd since he DID use cutlery some up till 18 months or so.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline FroggyMom

• Showing Appreciation 12
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 16:11:18 pm »
Hi there!

Unfortunately I have no good advice, but wanted to tag along and see what others say.  My DS is 22 months old and STILL refuses to use cutlery.  He has always refused cutlery.  He will feed himself finger foods with his hands.  However, he makes me feed him anything requiring a spoon such as cereal or yogurt!  :(

Offline Canwi

• Retired GM and Mod still paying it forward
  • Showing Appreciation 253
  • Me, in a picture
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 03:30:19 am »
TBH I'd have to say my ('scuse the pun ;) ) gut reaction is to let them do what they want.  If they chose not to use the cutlery, then go hungry.  It's "cause & effect" which is how children learn.  Continuing to feed them does not teach them that the responsibility to get the food into them is THEIRS. 
Now there will be the exception to the rule.  My DS2 will NOT eat if he is OT.  This is the only instance in which I still feed him his meals. 

8) I BFd a combined total of 4y, 1m & 1d