Author Topic: 3rd week into solids... help!!  (Read 1005 times)

Offline MommyIsa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 18, 2011, 23:39:48 pm »
Hi everyone!
Our baby boy is turning 7 months next week and does not seem very interested in eating solids...
We started feeding him cereals (mixed with my expressed milk) when he turned 6 months and gradually introduced other homemade purees every 4-5 days (veggies + fruits). So far, we have tried sweet potatoes, pears, apples and squash.
At the moment, he only has a morning meal after being breastfed (approx. 45-60 min. after milk). He doesn't want to eat much and seems more interested in chewing/biting on the spoon. He seems very fussy and usually doesn't swallow a whole lot.  Is this normal at this age?
Also, when should I introduce a second meal/day? Should this second meal be at Lunch or Supper?
I am concerned he doesn't get all the nutrients/iron/vitamins he should be getting at his age and weight (21 pounds).
Thanks in advance for your tips/advice!!
:)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 00:40:37 am »
Is your LO normally fussy around the time that you feed him, perhaps tired? I introduced new foods to my LO at lunch for the first week as I found she was more alert then. I also found that she was a lot more receptive to new foods when they were mixed with breast milk or if they were sweet foods. I've also heard that breast fed babies especially like sweet foods to start because breast milk is sweet. So I am going to be mixing veggies with sweet fruits- eg. sweet potato with pear, banana or apple, squash with pear, banana or apple, etc.
Your LO should be getting most of his nutrients and vitamins from breast milk, but iron stores do start to deplete so the best way to get iron is through cereals, which it looks like you are doing already.
I'd try and introduce a second meal once he is interested and doing well with breakfast. I don't think it matters whether it's at lunch or supper, but I personally like doing it at supper because I find my LO is more hungry then and it ties her over till her evening feed. Hope that helps!

Offline MommyIsa

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 13:03:21 pm »
Thanks very much for your tips! Greatly appreciated!! :)
I will try to feed him at lunch to see if he's more alert. He is very fussy lately - probably a combination of teething and not sleeping very well. He wakes up a few times every night (just fussing/crying and falling back asleep). I know I shouldn't be bouncing back in his room everytime, but I have been doing it for the past few weeks whenever he wakes (pacifier)...