Author Topic: Outgrowing MSPI  (Read 6264 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
Outgrowing MSPI
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:04:18 pm »
When did your LO outgrow it? Just out of interest really.

We are day 3 into a dairy trial and have quit because of runny poops. No mucous though.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
Re: Outgrowing MSPI
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 12:11:59 pm »
Probably around the magic "age 2" mark ... Murray can have dairy and soya, but we don't give him tonnes - not sure how he would be if we did.
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 18:12:24 pm »
What dairy did you trial? Remember some LOs can tolerate some forms of dairy and not others ....
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 18:21:22 pm »
Only yoghurt. I spoke to her dietician today who said that it could be two before she outgrows it.  :( Its not too bad really, we all eat dairy free meals now anyways.  :D I'd just like her off the neocate!

She is fine on herself just having strange poops. I'll just try again in a few weeks I suppose!

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 18:30:58 pm »
Emma dd2 is doing great on oat milk (Liz approved :)) and it has added calcium..I use it for her milk drink, cooking, cereal etc :)
She is tolerating cheese just fine and hidden dairy ie traces in biscuits. I'm not brave enough to give her cows milk yet.. Xx
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline firsttimemummy

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 18:32:13 pm »
Maybe try cheese or something next time? I was told to start with dairy in food first (like biscuits, etc) then after a while just a teaspoon of yogurt, then cheese, etc and build up gradually.

Yes, hopefully by 2 she will outgrow it too.  Dairy free is great for your waistline, eh!

Charli - that's the same as Murray - he has cows milk now and then but I don't like giving it to him!

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 18:34:11 pm »
She hates oat milk! She's a pest! She has apple juice on her cereal in the morning.  ::)  

I have actually not been so strict with hidden stuff, if I have something cooked in butter i tend to just go for it and hope for the best but thats by no means every day. I might try her out on cheese but I did think that yogurt was a safer option.  :-\

Offline Roseii

• Showing Appreciation 198
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 18:44:03 pm »
Dairy free is great for your waistline, eh!

I don't know if it's stopping bf or adding in dairy, or both, but I have put on about half a stone recently ::) I was a skinny minnie on dairy free!!

I have actually not been so strict with hidden stuff, if I have something cooked in butter i tend to just go for it and hope for the best but thats by no means every day. I might try her out on cheese but I did think that yogurt was a safer option.  :-\

I think natural yoghurt is meant to be "safest"?? Oh I cook with normal butter now too. DD2 had quite different symptoms to D though, D gets exzema etc doesn't she? DD2's is all gut related, now it's just a case of constipation if she has too much dairy-she got really bad when we were on hols on I was lax :( But that's a vast improvement on the gassy-no pooping-screaming-writhing mess she was as a bub! So I'm confident she's getting better and will completely outgrow it soon :) Hoping the same for D :-*
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 18:57:28 pm »
Spencer still can't tolerate dairy!  I've used yogurt in the past because then I know if it is the lactose or the milk protien causing the problem.
Heidi

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 23:59:36 pm »
I know this is old, but jusyt thought I'd chime in.  Mine were 14 months and 10 months.  So it can happen earlier.
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 13:09:20 pm »
DS is still cows milk dairy free, but he is tolerating goats cheese and goats milk yoghurt  ;D

He has also been ranitidine free for the last 3 weeks and it looks like he has finally outgrown the silent reflux  :D

It might be worth giving the goats milk products a try next time? So far DS has only eaten the yoghurt with maple syrup mixed in - I don't blame him as it is rather vile on its own  :P He'll eat goats cheese slices on their own or on toast.

For milk I'm still giving him Pepti, more because it's fortified with the right things so I don't need to give him a multivitamin! I'm quite happy to continue with this as long as the NHS will let me  :)

Good luck with your next trial  :-*

Offline skatty

• Showing Appreciation 352
  • My spirited girl
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 13:13:53 pm »
Leorah was about 16 months when she started tolerating cheese and yoghurt but it coincided with her getting very bad ear infections and glue ear and from much reserach I found that MSPI can change symptoms  :P To this day she wont drink milk! We kept letting her have the cheese and yoghurt because of the calcium and because we did cut down and there was no let up on the ears so who knows.
Katt

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 13:18:09 pm »
I would not go on runny poops alone!!!

Anyone, milk-intolerant or not, who has no dairy in their system, develops a temporary lactose intolerance of sorts.  If you were to get ill and not eat any dairy for ten days, and then go and introduce dairy back in to your body, you would have runny poops and tummy cramps, too!!  So it is not really enough to know.  And, to boot, even kids who are not milk allergic and are on formula often have a difficult few days of transition when taking to cow's milk as a drink, and can have very runny poops when switching to cows mil. Our GI-paed told me that if poop was the ONLY problem and it was a bit of diarrhea, to ignore it and persist!  Watch for more severe symptoms like mucousy poop, blood in stools, skin changes, behaviour changes, complaints, and so on.

I would say that if she has no mucous and only runny poops, give her a bowl of weetabix and milk and see if she gets any full-blown symptoms, and ignore the runny poops for about 7-10 days.  If they persist longer than that, then you can look at them as a symptom, but on their own without any mucous or blood I would not assume she has not outgrown it.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 15:03:16 pm »
Good point Mashi, I don't eat alot of dairy and I find I get cramps and bloating if I over do it...but like Spencer I get more constipated from it!  I gave her some yogurt about 2 weeks ago and it was horrible, her behaviour was awful, big bloated tummy, super constipated (which is just finally going away).  Yeah, no milk still!
Heidi

Offline ~Emma~

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 12:40:18 pm »
Yes Mashi - really good point there.  :)

I think she is ready tolerate more dairy, its just getting throuh that barrier of the forst horrible few days when we have NW as I assume she is having gut pain kwim? Seems easier to just take the dairy out.

I am being more lax these days tbh, she is having little bits ehre and there. I made soup the other day that had pesto in it, some pastry with butter in it, potatoes mashed with butter am milk and the like. Fairly sporadic but she's getting it.

I am just depserate to get her off this milk, its so rank and I feel passed the point of making up formula bottles kwim.

I tihnk I might go all out tomorrow and try her on weetabix and milk and just see what happens.

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 15:54:39 pm »
what about trying goat's milk?  We've not introduced any dairy into dd2 yet (too scared, and she's still little).  But at 6 mos, I started eating goat cheese, and she's done fabulous on it.  The protein is easier to break down than the cow's milk protein, so it might be a good start.  I have no idea what I'll do when dd2 is a year and starts dropping milk feeds, I don't want to (and can't afford to) switch to the crazy expensive formula, but I"m scared to go to cow's milk.  Liz also recommended oat milk to me too.
Michelle

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 17:25:30 pm »
Just following along.  DS has been on nutramigen since he was 3 months.  I decided this week that I would try giving him small amounts of yogurt and see how things go.  This am was the first try - he didn't eat much of what I offered but here's hoping.  I so nervous about this - it was HELL until we got DS onto reflux meds and the nutramigen.  I know that he is older now and wont react the exact same, but it still scares me :(

I was reading that it is also good to try baking with milk, DS loves pancakes and we usually make them with rice milk but am considering trying regular milk - any thoughts?

I am also making some chicken burger to freeze and was thinking of putting some grated cheese in half maybe.....

So many decisions, any help is greatly appreciated!

*Kristen*

Offline ~*~Louisa~*~

• Mummy in need of a month of sleep... PLEASE!!!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
    • Cupcakes and storm clouds my blog
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 22:21:50 pm »
Sophina was about 2 1/2 when she could tollerate dairy

If your going to put grated cheese its good to start with a very mature cheese due to less lactose so your more trialing the milk protien first instead of both

Alyssa I dont know the shocking reaction to nutramigen it will be long after age 2

DD1 Angel/Spirited - Glue ear
DD2 Angel - MPI, Excema, Late talker
DD3 Angel - Milk,Soy, nut,egg intollerence, Saliciyte sensitivity, Reflux