Author Topic: Tummy pain with solids - is it because of all the reflux meds she's on??!  (Read 1929 times)

Offline C&B&E

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34

So we've been trying to introduce some solids to E but it's not going very well.  We've just been giving her one small 'meal' every day, but she's struggling  :-\.  She just seems so uncomfortable every time she eats - on the days she has solids she seems to strain and grunt through the day (almost as if trying to poo, but not).  She's MSPI and got bad reflux and is on a very high dose of reflux meds and I'm wondering if it could be that which is causing her the problem  ???

She's only been having very simple things - pear, sweet potato, and one Ellas puree (carrot, apple and prune).  She's EBF and a good weight, so I've just been stopping giving her the solids most days - but I'm not sure how long I can do that for  :-\.

Her poos range from normal bf yellow, to bright green with mucous - so I really am confused as to what is going on with her digestive system.

Any thoughts/experience welcome,

Thank you
Claire x

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
Could it be something in your diet?  I'm assuming you're dairy/soy free.  But if she's still having some mucous in her poops, it sounds like she's still reacting to something.  My dd is also MSPI and reflux and we went super gradually on solids - teeny amounts (also started with sweet potatoes and pears) - just doing 1 thing for at least 5 days before I tried a new thing.  Since she's having trouble, I'd back off on the solids for now. 

What meds is she on and how much?  How much does she weigh?  Have you noticed a change in her tummy issues since starting solids?  When are you giving her solids?
Michelle

Offline C&B&E

Could it be something in your diet?  I'm assuming you're dairy/soy free. 

Yes, dairy and soy free.  I really cannot bear the thought of cutting out wheat fills me with horror  :-\.

What meds is she on and how much?  How much does she weigh?  Have you noticed a change in her tummy issues since starting solids?  When are you giving her solids?

She's on 16mg lansoprazole (spit dose) and 3ml ranitidine (split dose) + gaviscon.  She weighs 8kg. Yes, she's been in more pain since starting solids - but I'm not sure how much slower we can go.  I've been giving her a tablespoon of solids around every other day for the past ten days.  I've been varying when I give her the solids as it is so hard to get it right with all the meds she is on (because of giving them on an empty stomach), short naps etc!! 

It's so hard as she LOVES food and really gets upset when she sees us eating  :(

Claire x

Offline deckchariot

• Showing Appreciation 361
I'm rubbish on kg and doses, but I don't "think" those doses are too high (if my math and conversions are reasonably correct).  Juggling the meds with the food is definitely a challenge!!!  I"m wondering if that's more of the issue - trying to space all the meds out (the lansoprazole and the ranitidine need to be given 4 hrs apart as well) and then give them to her on an empty stomach is tough.  I was told though that breastmilk doesn't interfere with the meds, so she doesn't need to have a milk empty tummy necessarily, but definitely a solids empty tummy.  I don't know if that makes a difference in how you try to space them out.  I'd be tempted to cut out solids altogether for now and wait a week or two before trying anything else.  She doesn't "need" the solids at this point anyway - it's more for fun.  Let her system settle down a bit and see if her tummy issues continue, and if they do, I'd talk to your dr and do a med review.  I know ranitidine is highly weight sensitive.  I also know some mums have had bubs who've been on it and then it stopped working.  If her tummy issues clear up, then you know it's the solids. 

Has her reaction be the same whether is was pears or sweet potatoes or the mix puree?  I would not give her anything other than a single item solid.  And my dd had a terrible time with prunes - too much for her wee tummy.   Have you been giving a different solid every other day for the past 10 days?  I'd also just do 1 thing for at least 5 days.  That way you can rule out what it may be that's causing her discomfort.    Giving them earlier in the day tends to be less disruptive on night sleep fwiw.

btw, I could bear the thought of giving up wheat either, and we saw great results just being dairy/soy free, so I was glad!
Michelle

Offline SW29

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Mum of two...
My little one did the same without reflux etc.  I took her to see a Cranial Osteopath which really seemed to help - he worked on her digestive system and tongue movement.  it's totally non-invasive, very, very gentle, which is why it's great for babies...

Offline *Liz*

• Showing Appreciation 394
  • Living beyond
There are some babies who get tummy ache as a side effect of the PPIs (or any med really - yk it is always in the paper leaflet thing). But did you think it got worse before the solids or has it always been bad and you have never been sure what is causing the chaos??

Are you referred to a dietician for help with the weaning process?

What time of day are you giving the solids and what is happening after them?

Offline C&B&E

Hi Liz  :-*

No - I don't think it's the ppi as it seems to just coincide with when she has solids.  Her reflux *still* isn't fully controlled so she is uncomfortable some of the time (particularly at night), but I this is a different sort of discomfort - it reminds me more of the grunting etc she used to do before I cut milk/soy out of my diet rather than the behaviour she exhibits when she's got reflux pain. 

Are you referred to a dietician for help with the weaning process?

What time of day are you giving the solids and what is happening after them?
I have been referred to a dietitian but have heard nothing for 2 months - I suppose we are not an urgent case despite her being ready for solids - so really only know what I've found out on here.  I had been giving solids at different times as it's so hard to find *any* time to give them to her around all her medications and naps and bf's  ::).  I try to do it earlier in the day, and not straight before she's going to sleep - but really she's had so little so far we've not got into a pattern yet.  Her EASY is all over the place because of reflux and random nap length. 

She is fine straight after them (apart from the times when she vomits - which has happened quite a lot, but seems more to do with a v. sensitive gag reflex), but then I just notice that later on in the day she is grunting and acting like she needs to poo - but doesn't.

I feel that she should be settled on the amount of meds she is on, which is pretty high by UK standards - (2mg/kg lansaprozole + her zantac), but she still wakes in the night in discomfort - so I really do wonder if it's something else in my diet or 'just' the reflux  :-\.

x
Claire x