Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53510 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2011, 20:45:50 pm »
B Will overlook what is on his tray. I make sure i show him before i put it down and then he Will see it.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2011, 21:17:53 pm »
Same here, I often hand her food. Although once she's seen it she will try to pick it up herself...

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2011, 21:36:24 pm »
One of the signs of readiness for solids is putting toys (and everything) they can in their mouths.  My DS didn't put a single thing in his mouth until he was given food, then it all went in and was all swallowed.  He often couldn't pick the food up either but I guarantee he was ready.  For a few weeks I held up food if he didn't see it or couldn't pick it up and he took it and ate it.  It's still his choice, I don't see the point in causing frustration by not helping.  I also do what khalams mama does and tell him what each item is on the tray or plate (even less mess for us now as I quite often give a plate with the food on and the tray stays quite clean yay!).  These days (10 months) I still occasionally help out, like if a half grape is being particularly slippery I turn it over on the plate so it's easier to pick up, I have to be careful as my help usually receives a growl of annoyance from DS - haven't I learned yet that he is quite capable on his own thank you very much! :)

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2011, 02:31:33 am »
The ones I made, after spooning half the mix in teaspoon size cookies onto a sheet I then dolloped the rest of the mix in one go onto another sheet, spread it out, marked it off into rectangles and shoved it in the oven.  Re-cut the marked lines whilst still warm to make small flap-jack type cookies instead - a whole lot quicker and easier, the end product looked neater and cooked more evenly.

Great idea - much easier. I'll give this a go next time.

Kath: no problem with holding up food for them to take - just avoid closing their hands around it, or putting it into their mouths for them. Soon they'll start to realise that the food is on the tray when they want it. PS: Your boys are so cute!
*Nuala*

dburseth

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2011, 02:53:20 am »
Well after having wierd wake ups an hour or so after bed time, I've decided to hold off a little longer with solids. DS seemed to be having tummy aches/gas.  He isn't quite 6mos even though was showing all the developmental signs.  It was fun though!
On the Kellymom.com site there were ideas to encourage LOs to participate in meal times without the solids yet so I think I will do this for a couple weeks.  Freezing BM pops, letting him use his sippy etc...

See you then  :)

Offline Papaya

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2011, 03:03:44 am »
It's not uncommon to have a bit of gas trouble when you start solids - they just need to get used to trying to digest something other than milk! What time were you offering solids? I started with breakfast and lunch only, so there was more time to get rid of any gas before bedtime. But you're right, he's young so there's no hurry. We'll be here when you're ready to give it another go! :)
*Nuala*

dburseth

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2011, 15:57:08 pm »
thanks papaya :)

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2011, 20:46:31 pm »
Mince in a sort of meat ball and green beans here today. He really enjoyed the meat. Some prunes and apricots for breakfast should help with the BM's too. He ate a whole spelt biscuit at playgroup too.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2011, 21:24:21 pm »
Well after having wierd wake ups an hour or so after bed time, I've decided to hold off a little longer with solids. DS seemed to be having tummy aches/gas.
Had weird wake ups when DS started solids too (and he was SO SO SO ready!), I made sure I gave his evening meal as early as possible to give him time to digest before BT.  We now have dinner at 5.15pm and BT is around 6.45pm.  The weird wake ups didn't last very long though.  I think if your LO is happy enough to join you at the table without food (you have some good ideas there) then you're fine, mine was demanding solids like I'd starved him since birth so I couldn't stop the solids once I'd given in to him at 5.5 months.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2011, 22:57:08 pm »
Hi all,

LJ had pasta twists with a sprinkle of cheese this mOrning which she had a good munch on! I had some too and was surprisingly nice. Anyway, then she had banana later.

She's not been herself all afternoon and then ended up being REALLY sick - twice! - after 4 oz of her bedtime feed and loads of screaming. Think she's got a tummy bug :( she had a cat nap on me and woke up much happier - even smiling. Hope it lasts! Poor little thing!

She's had cheese and banana quite a lot and I'm assuming the pasta won't be responsible. Going to hold off on the solids tomo and see how she goes... X

Offline Papaya

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2011, 23:27:03 pm »
Snowbird, it could be a reaction to wheat...? (I assume it was wheat pasta). Or could be a tummy bug as you say. Has she had other things with wheat - bread etc?
*Nuala*

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:58 am »
Sophia has a cold at the moment. Last night she was up crying a lot and seemed to be in pain. I think it was probably because of the cold but wondering if I should stop solids for a couple of days to make sure gas or stomach upset isn't making things even worse? So difficult when they can't tell you what's wrong :-\

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2011, 11:27:35 am »
Thanks Papaya. She's had white bread quite a few times and does seem to be consuming some of that. No probs before. Not sure how much pasta she actually ate but think she did eat some. What do you think I should do? Hold off on pasta?

She woke up at 1.50am, had lots of sips of water and then 3 oz milk (all I gave her as didn't want her to be sick again!). Then slept through until half when she had 7.5 oz milk. Was a tiny bit sick an hour and a half later but seems much more like herself. Just woken from a 2 hour nap - nb we never get this long! Obviously tired as went to bed hours late last night!

Poor Sophia. Yes Becky - so awful when they can't tell you what's wrong!! Hope she feels better soon. Don't think holding off on solids will do any harm. I'm going to do the same today

Xx

Offline Papaya

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2011, 12:01:48 pm »
It does sound more like she's just got a bit of a bug than anything else. If she's had bread with no problems I think it's unlikely to be the wheat, so I wouldn't be afraid to try pasta again when she's feeling better. And in the meantime she's probably not interested in solids - just cuddles! Hope she comes right soon :)
*Nuala*

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2011, 20:07:20 pm »
Hope she feels better soon snowbird.

B was eating like a champ today. He had lots of chicken and some rice for dinner. He had a good amount of banana pancake for breakfast too. It is great how much he is progressing. My Mum was like "oh look he's got a big bit of chicken in his mouth" all worried and I was like " great, go B" and he was fine he had a good suck and swallowed it with only a little gag once.