Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53509 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2011, 20:45:37 pm »
Also pancakes are good for breakfast. You can add left over veggies if you mix in a blender and can't really taste them.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2011, 20:59:51 pm »
ok- a couple of other general questions.... with the laundry... what do you ladies do with clothes with heaps of food on them. Just into the basket, or into the laundry sink? or do you rinse them straight away?
We've had some fun with banana again and LOTS of fun with avocado. So is grabbing them, squishing them and then sucking our fingers (and rubbing our chest) all part of it? This is right? Off to try some more bananna and avocado- might steam a pear too!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2011, 21:03:14 pm »
Yes they do just squish it at first esp as they learn how hard to grip it. It is all fine. We tend to shake off the lumps and then have a pile of "dirty clothes" that between my boys gets washed most days so anything with food/sick/pee etc. We have a face clothe on the go too to limit the use of wipes that goes in the daily wash.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2011, 21:18:07 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I use a long sleeved apron which really helps protect clothes.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2011, 21:59:19 pm »
i'm hoping that i can go without clothes soon as we're heading into summer- tends to be pretty hot- Currently the bib is just as interesting- if not MORE interesting than the food!! Today we (not me- hamish) were very grumpy and not interested in anything.... will try lunch- i think breakfast is not our best time!! This sure takes patience doesn't it!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2011, 22:01:09 pm »
Talking about breakfast, do you guys have any thoughts on Cheerios. Sure I've read thry're good for blw. Bought some but found out they're not very big. Do you think they are ok at 7 months? Thanks x

We have a long sleeved apron type thing but only 1 so used when necessary. Glad I used it this  for yoghurt - v.messy lol! Xx

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2011, 22:02:04 pm »
Katy - LJ likes to have a good suck on her plastic bib too lol x

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2011, 22:26:07 pm »
Ha ha, Ive got a couple of bib suckers too . . . They like to make sure both sides are nicely covered in food! Infact tonight i just put a couple of tops on that were a prezzie that i wasnt too keen on (a little ungrateful i know) and didnt bother with a bib  :-\

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2011, 09:28:38 am »
Whee!! Launched himself at the mashed and whole pumpkin and sweet potato like he hadn't eaten ever! Smooshed it everywhere- ate some - covered his chest and face and best of all nanny and poppy were there to see and are totally on board! Dinner sees to be the best time- handy as then it's a quick dunk in the bath... Or a soak...

On the broth idea again... How do you give this to your LO ? Do they drink it in a cup? Or mix it with mashed vegies?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2011, 10:06:49 am »
um... bu whole pumpkin i mean whole fingers of pumpkin... i did not present the 6 month old with an entirely intact pumpkin...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2011, 11:38:34 am »
i did not present the 6 month old with an entirely intact pumpkin...

lol! Sounds like she had fun. By broth, do you mean home-made stock?  ???  I use this in curries, pasta sauces, mashed potatos, fish cakes, anything where I need a bit of liquid.

Thanks for the breakfast ideas from the book, too.

toast, oat cakes or rice cakes spread ith nut butter

What do you all do about peanuts (or other nuts)? Not whole ones, obviously, but say peanut butter, or satay sauce, or a mussaman curry. I know the advice used to be wait until 2 years, more recently I've read it's fine after one year, and I think Gill Rapley says there's no reason not to offer earlier if no history of allergy... I haven't offered yet, but would like to be able to start giving F peanut or other nut butter soon as there are limited spreads for bread that don't involve either dairy or sugar. Thoughts?
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2011, 11:55:01 am »
Yeah- i meant home made stock.. that's what i would usually call it but i think the northern hemisphere ladies call it broth....

Our australian recommendations (according to babycentre) say nut spreads etc are safe from 6months but to consult dr if theres a history of allergy- or if the LO has excema or asthma... here's the link http://www.babycenter.com.au/baby/startingsolids/feedbabywhatwhen/

Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2011, 19:03:29 pm »
I contacted our health visitor because I'd not given nuts at around a year because of this old advice and even though he has eczema, she said it should be fine for ground nuts.  So far he's had ground almonds in things but not much else (I'm not a peanut butter fan so we don't have it in the house).

I'd check locally to you though because prevalence of food allergies are different in different parts of the world which is part of the reason advice differs (as well as different HCPs taking time to adopt progress in research.)
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2011, 20:00:27 pm »
The uk guidelines are also to give nuts unless there are allergies in the family. This changed since I had DS1 2.5yo.

We also call it stock in UK, I think broth is what the USA ladies call it.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2011, 21:48:24 pm »
I think that the recommendation until fairly recently was no nuts... but the allergy stuff is changing across the board. They used to think it as protective to limit allergens but now some studies are showing the opposite! Probably good as nuts are a good source of heaps of great stuff- so nut spreads can be a great way to introduce them i guess! (avoiding the sugar and salt of the main brands tho...)

I must say that broth does sound comforting- and much more exciting than plain old stock!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!