Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53242 times)

Offline beckygatt

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2011, 14:57:37 pm »
Yes I think that's pretty normal! Playing is part of the learning experience. I get a bit impatient too, lol. I have to resist the urge to help her! Some meals she 'eats' a lot whereas others she not really interested. I think that's pretty normal

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2011, 17:09:42 pm »
That is exactly where we were at 6mo and then he just started eating one day. It Will come. I started noticing food in his nappy before i noticed it was actually going in too.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2011, 17:42:06 pm »
Yes I find bits in poo sometimes...

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2011, 20:35:20 pm »
Ok.. good- i trust you! I'm going to the doctors today for his check up and needles.. so when they weigh him i think i;ll be happier too (His weight has always been good- having that reassurance will tell me there's no panic to get it into him!)... And already some days his poo actually smells so much like pumpkin i could eat it!! I do refrain...

I must say the incidental learning he's doing!! You can just see his little face so serious as he tries to work it all out!! The newest method- why use hands when you can pull it to the front of the tray and just put your mouth directly onto it!! Very funny!! BLW with all of the incidental learning is good as i'm trying to avoid having every toy that moves.. (space issue- but also IT"S NOT REQUIRED!!) There are so many different things he's finding out that he wouldn't if i gave him food from a spoon!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2011, 21:56:23 pm »
I agree, I think its great for dexterity and hand function!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2011, 00:08:27 am »
bah- misguided mummy trick for today- 'sharing' a banana while sitting on the lounge- channeling my inner hippy.. needless to say banana was EVERYWHERE!! Did manage to get some into his mouth- took a launch at it!- and into mummy's bra, and onto mummy's shirt, and mummy's face, and  the lounge! I think that it takes a mummy with a little more coordination to manage the lounge trick with style!! That and he kept wanting to lie down!! I think the high chair is better while we develop OUR skills!! ;)

Oh and also- i see that some of you offer a loaded spoon. If i have a long spoon and have something on it (i'm thinking some meat, puree or minced...) and hold it up in front of him, and he grabs it and brings it to his mouth- but i just hold the end to stop it hitting the floor.. is this ok?
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #171 on: December 01, 2011, 16:23:32 pm »
Yeah I'd stick to the highchair lol! Been wondering myself if I give LJ smtg to snack on when we meet our group of friends but not sure how she'll handle being able to move whilst eating. Hard work keeping her still! Only 1 way to find out...

Are you happier now Hamish has been weighed?

Loving blw! So great that LJ sits at the table and eats with us. We all really enjoy it and I'm getting more adventurous. And I'm eating better meals knowing that LJ will be eating the same thing.

Xxx

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #172 on: December 01, 2011, 18:38:25 pm »
Same here snowbird! I try to cook pretty healthy anyway but S eating with us is an extra incentive. I think she's starting to eat more and more, though a lot still ends up on the floor/highchair. I found loads of carrot in her poo this morning so obviously something is going down! ;D

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #173 on: December 01, 2011, 19:46:01 pm »
We went to a playgroup today and there was another baby there a bit older than B (probably 10mo). At snacktime they both sat side by side in the highchairs and B munched away on the toast, banana and apple that was given out for all the other kids (up to5yo) and the baby next door was eating some mush from a jar. The mum was giving me some looks like "is he going to eat THAT?" B did a great job and I got on with my own tea and toast in peace. It is so nice not to have to take turns eating and holding baby during dinner like we used to with K.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #174 on: December 01, 2011, 20:30:50 pm »
Yeah- much happier... And everything I read says that it doesn't matter really what they eat... It's all about fun- BLW or otherwise!! (yes.. I knew that already- but i like to be reassured! ) And sometimes he has really great days where he just jumps right in!! I must say that he LOVES eating from my plate too... And I'm with you girls, we're eating much better knowing he might be sharing (that and enjoying everything served in hand sized sticks). And also- aside from the mess- it's HEAPS easier!! Sometimes I'm sort of like- is this right? I just leave him and.. Well get on with it?? And with the mess- if I were doing purees I'd do finger foods too (it's the therapist in me) and so I'd STILL have a god awful mess to clean up!!

And I love your new pic KM! Very cute! I can not stop taking pictures of my LO covered from head to almost toe in food- very funny!!

Oh and snowbird- the group of friends is the hard one!! I have my friends here today- so there's no excuse not to give him lunch,... ,  should be exciting!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2011, 20:43:36 pm »
Yes just leave him to it!

Thanks. I thought of this thread when I put up that pic of B. That washis 1st crumpet,one of the 1st things he actually ate. He just pulled it all apart and then stuffed the bits into his mouth from the tray.

dburseth

« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2011, 16:04:20 pm »
Ok, we're going to try again. I'm going to just do once a day and be a little more on the ball with tracking what he's eating! 
Tried some bread yesterday and he loves it but didn't do so good with swallowing it.  managed to get it all back out  :( Good thing DH wasn't home...he doesn't deal with the gagging very well, lol.  He would definately like me to be feeding mush.

Question, What is the best way to serve roast beef?  Do you cut it up in small bits or just hand them a big slice, or a chunk?

KM, the holidays are going to be interesting with being around so much company and feeding DS. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2011, 16:35:21 pm »
I have 14 extended family for dinner at xmas but i see them lots so they know how we are weaning.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2011, 20:24:25 pm »
Not tried roast beef yet but I'd prob try a slice and some chunks and see what is easiest for LO. LJ would manage a slice I'm sure lol.

Xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2011, 23:06:38 pm »
We do chunks as he doesn't get much off but slices break up more easily and he gets big bits in his mouth.