Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53438 times)

Offline snowbird

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2011, 20:43:52 pm »
Welcome Rach! Agree with pp - give her some simple stuff like carrot sticks if she seems ready. She'll soon pick it up.

We try to do it as much as possible to give her lots of practice. Gave her savoury flapjacks today and she scoffed them lol! Xxx

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2011, 21:29:58 pm »
I thought you ladies might appreciate Lil B enjoying his chicken on the bone.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2011, 21:51:03 pm »
So bizarre that she can spend half the day with her thumb in her mouth and yet if you put something in her hand (food) she can't seem to get it to her mouth...!

That's sooo what i thought!! Hamish has only just started to manage putting things in his mouth- funnily enough it has coincided with him getting his foot into his mouth rather than his hand only (I thought this might happen). Hamish didn't really seem to be THAT frustrated. As Khamams mum said i would at times hold up the food for him to grab- but he really did seem happy to squish and suck (maybe). I think it's actually more of a killer for us o see the food ALMOST make it into their mouths. I guess she doesn't actually know that food goes in our mouths and we swallow it- she just sees her parents muck about with the stuff and put it near their faces... so for her she's part of the action just by playing!. Our favourite foods are pumpkin, kiwi fruit, and the top food- mango. (I let him have lots of mango as the season is short and then we;'re back to boring old apples and bananas..)

Khalamsmum- OMG!! (do we say OMG? It makes me feel like a teenager saying it...) I CAN"T BELIEVE that yu are letting baligh eat with no bib!!! HAmish still eats naked and gets food EVERYWHERE!! I have to clean the food off from behind his ears sometimes!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #198 on: December 05, 2011, 21:53:58 pm »
It was just before bath time so was about to strip him off and put the clothes in the wash anyway. He usually eats with a bib in the day time. He does make a big mess.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #199 on: December 05, 2011, 23:32:41 pm »
We went straight on to three meals per day, I had no choice as DS was demanding food and it was the only way to stop him moaning and crying (I kept offering milk and he hit it away and cried harder!), however each 'meal' was limited to one or two different types of food.  This was more to do with not wanting to overwhelm him with choices rather than looking for allergies.  I did find at the start he couldn't cope with lots of items on his tray at once even though he took to BLW so brilliantly.

Gagging - ha will it ever stop?  He's approaching 11 months now and still gags and still doesn't care that he's doing it.  He used to eat a prune so daintily, gumming bits off until the whole thing gradually disappeared, he knew what he could cope with I suppose, now though he is bigger and more confident so just rams the whole thing in his mouth gives it a bit of a whizz around his teeth and swallows it whole, gags and brings it all back out then eats it again!  Not the best table manners to be honest.  He will even be gagging on something whilst simultaneously trying to get the next piece of food in his mouth.  If gagging doesn't both him then it doesn't bother me.

The scariest moments for me have been once when I found him chewing on some random bit of plastic (it was from a board book with a push down music button!) and had to fish it out of his mouth (not to be attempted unless absolutely necessary as this in itself can cause choking!) and once when I found him playing right next to a button that had fallen from his cardigan.  Luckily I found the button before he did.  I went cold with the thought of what could have happened.  Food wise he gags and occasionally voms back up something that he's swallowed in one massive piece, but I have total confidence in his eating abilities.

Moon shapes are good for picking up. ie avocado halved, stone removed then cut into half discs, it makes a nice shape for picking up.  Fleshy fruit in wedges is tricky at the start as it's so slippery, a slight squish to indent part of it (not mush it) will give LO somewhere to grip onto and make it a bit easier.

When you start don't be surprised by increased milk intake (say asking for another milk feed straight after solids), or some sleep disruption, or constipation.  The thread on laxative foods is worth a browse, you can monitor your LOs poop and feed the necessary food item to firm it up or loosen it a little without the need for meds, much nicer.

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #200 on: December 06, 2011, 00:04:57 am »
Loving the photos of B! She's loving it! xxx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #201 on: December 06, 2011, 00:16:45 am »
He was indeed!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #202 on: December 06, 2011, 10:30:58 am »
It was just before bath time so was about to strip him off and put the clothes in the wash anyway. He usually eats with a bib in the day time. He does make a big mess.

Ok- this makes me laugh :D.. i was JUST telling my mum tonight about 'this baby on my forum who's only 7 months and doesn't need to wear a bib!"- mum thought that we were more than a month off that... i now see that you guys are too :P!!

Well things have really taken off in the last couple of days!! WOW! Tonight he pretty much ate 3/4 of a kiwifruit- i cut it up and left the skin on he wasn;t concerned- I held some up for him and he grabbed them and ate them all!! Couldn't get enough!! He also had quite a bit of pumpkin, some apple, made an attempt at broccoli (although i think that he thought it was kiwifruit..he was probably disappointed... ).. when nanny went to clear away the food from his tray he knocked the water that he was drinking out of a cup in order to get to the food again!! I'm not sure how it fitted into his little tummy!!

How do you know when he;s finished? Sometimes he gets over it and starts whining... but other times it seems that the longer he sits the more he'll eat... Do you just keep going?

Oh- on the poops- Hamish has always been a more than once a day- or once a day pooer.. the last few days he's been an every second day sort of man... but when it comes out (TMI?) it's not too solid, or loose... is this fine? Just part of the change with solids?

SOO Excited!!   ;D
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #203 on: December 06, 2011, 13:49:33 pm »
Can the skin of a kiwi be eaten??

I usually stop giving her food when she stops eating! Usually after a while she'll either just stop or might start getting a bit irritable. Sounds like Hamish is doing really well! Sophia is doing pretty well but a lot still ends up in her bib or on the floor. She's certainly enjoying it though!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #204 on: December 06, 2011, 13:50:59 pm »
Can the skin of a kiwi be eaten??

Don't think so  :)

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #205 on: December 06, 2011, 19:11:32 pm »
I've eaten the skin before.  Not sure I'd give it to LJ tho!

Sorry Khalam's mum - that was a typing error!! The worse one out but a typing error indeed. Joys of using iPod touch to type bw messages xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #206 on: December 06, 2011, 19:49:28 pm »
He gets called a girl all the time. Because he is so pretty I say.

He had another go at the chicken leg today and was loving it. I am quite squeemish about meat on the bone so I had to look away. He seems to prefer it to the drier off the bone breast though.

I keep taking finger food to playgroup and the other kids try to steal his lunch! Bread sticks and flap jack and banana today (home made fast food!).

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #207 on: December 06, 2011, 20:32:57 pm »
i eat the kiwifruit skin- mainly laziness... but at this point he can't gum it up and i'm here of course...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #208 on: December 06, 2011, 20:51:22 pm »
ugh I hate the skin on the kiwi. I hate if even one hair gets on the fruit!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #209 on: December 06, 2011, 20:54:26 pm »
oh- i'm a sort of orally hyposensitive type i guess.. i don't really respond to much... my mum said that i used to choke ALL THE TIME as a baby- i think i just shoved soooo much food into my mouth before i registered it was there!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!