Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53498 times)

Offline beckygatt

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #345 on: January 04, 2012, 15:34:40 pm »
Yes Katy I admit it, the mess does put me off!! The soup in a cup is a good idea, I'll try that! I have to lighten up a bit, but I just seem to spend the whole day cleaning up! ::). I hate housework but like to have a decent house, not a great combination ;). And of course DH being a neatfreak doesn't help either

When you mention sushi I assume you don't mean raw fish... Not sure if the nori sheets have salt, or the rice vinegar... ???

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #346 on: January 04, 2012, 20:56:41 pm »
Baileys commet, there are several recipe threads, sorry i don't have time to link them just now but if you look in the solids board main menu there's a bit at the top called 'child boards' and one of the boards has recipes.
I think there's a few that would be useful, don't be put off by the various ages if your are doing BLW it makes no difference if your LO is over 9 months or not as they can have anything (within reason, health risks aside etc).

I would have thought sushi would be salty.  Hmm, didn't I read somewhere no raw fish before 12 months??

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #347 on: January 04, 2012, 21:01:21 pm »
no no- not raw fish... just the rice bit. Anyhoo- i gave him a bit but it was much more fun smooshing it everywhere than eating it- that stuff is surprisingly messy!! I thought it would brush off, but it kinda goes pasty!! lie rice glue or something!!

I do ind it confusing sometimes to remember the health rules- you know like no honey, no raw fish etc- as they are ALMOST but not quite what i was avoiding during pregnancy!! But no... i figured the raw fish was really a big boy food...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #348 on: January 04, 2012, 21:04:56 pm »
Ok- just did some googling FYI.. on the recipes i found the sushi rice is made with about 1/4 cp sugar and 1/2 tsp salt per 9 cups of rice. It may be more when they make it in the shop... but that doesn't seem like HEAPS? Would you agree? That much across all the rice when you consider the serve he'll have? Opinions? 
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #349 on: January 04, 2012, 21:50:51 pm »
Lol Katy! Do you look for the messiest foods possible? :P

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #350 on: January 04, 2012, 21:57:17 pm »
Honestly i think i sometimes do! I thought that the sushi would be safe!! And i do think of you- especially when something is unexpectedly messy!! 'oh.. beckygatt would NEVER be in this situation!'! Possibly with 2 LOs in the house a bit more forward planning/mess reduction makes sense!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #351 on: January 04, 2012, 22:11:05 pm »
Lol ;). Actually I often make sushi so I know just how messy and sticky it can be! But my new years resolution is going to be to embrace the mess and just let her do what she will. I think once you need to clean up after every meal the amount of mess doesn't really make that much difference... Just as long as the clothes aren't anything special. Weaning in summer with just a nappy must be great!

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #352 on: January 04, 2012, 22:31:34 pm »
Thanks Khalam's mum, this is great! Is my 11 month old considered a toddler now? I think I've been giving him a very bland diet so time to experiment a bit more. Also I don't think I've been giving him enough to eat, so I'll try to add in more snacks. That thread was really helpful, If anyone knows of any others with receipes please do let me know! Is there a way that we could all share receipes do you think?

Here you go

http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=178221.0

Offline creations

« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2012, 22:34:00 pm »
Weaning in summer with just a nappy must be great!
But not very BW ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #354 on: January 05, 2012, 00:34:56 am »
It's nappies only here most days for meals!! (sorry creations... i don't get what you mean by 'not very BW'?)
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #355 on: January 05, 2012, 08:28:53 am »
(sorry creations... i don't get what you mean by 'not very BW'?)
Not very Baby Whisperer.  Tracy's guidance on meal times, she advised against LOs eating in just their nappies as this is not normal for older kids or adults, and she felt it set the wrong tone to a meal, kind of disrespectful to the LO to strip them off to eat.
But, I typed it 'tongue in cheek', I doubt every BWer follows every single BW guidance to the letter.  I know I don't, I use it as an amazingly valuable resource, but if I feel doing things slightly differently is best for me and my LO then I do so.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #356 on: January 05, 2012, 08:36:57 am »
oh- i figured it was tongue in cheek... i just wasn't sure what you were getting at! But that makes sense.. i think tho that around here in summer it;s not unheard of for kids to eat with not much on as it can be hot and summer tends to be casual- so it's not that different... I'm the same- i use BW for much of the useful info- but on a lot of the feeding stuff actually i've followed other guidance- I don't think that the book suggests BLW for a start, and some of the BF stuff i found more useful info other places.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #357 on: January 05, 2012, 08:50:53 am »
It gets so hot here it can be quite normal for kids/toddlers to run around in their nappies/pants! ;)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #358 on: January 05, 2012, 08:57:06 am »
I think that in england where it often doesnt get  that hot that yes it would be strange to suddenly strip off a kid.. i'm going to have to buy one of those bib with arm thingies for winter i think..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #359 on: January 05, 2012, 08:57:38 am »
There's a sticky regarding how BLW fits with the BW philosophy, although Tracy still gave a traditional puree led weaning guide in her book she was very much of the attitude to respect the LO, hold back, encourage exploration, limit choices (too many are overwhelming and to stay within the LO learning triangle)...all things which fit with BLW.
The BF guidance has been updated on this site to reflect new information that Tracy wouldn't have been aware of.  If she was still with us I imagine she would be updating her guidance based on relevant recent research on various things.  She changed her advice on when to start potty training in the light of learning about EC and reduced it from 18 months to 9 months...so I think she was very open to changing attitudes and approaches etc.