Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53412 times)

Offline Papaya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2011, 04:01:01 am »
Justine, F used to do that too - she didn't have many bad gagging experiences, but she used to flail her arms wildly and we knew that meant she had too much in her mouth and didn't quite know what to do about it. But she learnt, and now she usually knows not to put in so much (unless it's something REALLY yummy like watermelon or mango, and then she sometimes forgets). I think it might be a phase they have to go through at some stage. It is scary, but I would always just sit right there with her, and try to speak calmly to her - have you got too much in your mouth? You can take some out... sometimes she would get a bit red in the face and teary, but I was always sure that it was gagging, not choking. And she's usually not upset at all afterwards - she just reaches for something else. So I think follow I's cues in that regard too - if he's upset, maybe it was too difficult for him for now. If not, it was just a learning experience.

Creations, I use the same dough for my pizza dough as when I bake bread. I got the basic recipe from here: http://www.annamariavolpi.com/pizza_recipe.html
but have adapted it, so I use about 1/4 cup of oats (the instant kind), 1/2 cup of rye flour, 1/2 cup of wholemeal flour, and 2 cups of white (more as needed). The trick is to leave the dough stickier than you're comfortable with when kneading - it's tempting to keep adding flour til it doesn't stick to your hands, but don't! When making a loaf, I leave dough to rise, punch down, put in loaf tin, leave again for half and hour and then bake at 180 degrees for about 35 mins (depends on your loaftin. or you could do it without a tin, just on an oven tray).
*Nuala*

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2011, 08:25:36 am »
Hmm. Noticed something weird and wanted to ask you ladies about it. I made DS a fishcake for dinner yesterday and gave some to DD to try. She seemed to really enjoy it and some bits were actually going in! But about 10 minutes later all the lumps came back ???

I've actually noticed that this happens a lot. She'll have a gnaw on something and swallow a few little bits but then brings them back up.

Any ideas? Normal or not?

I should add that she is very sicky and always has been.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2011, 19:19:43 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Nuala :)

Squeakers mum - the only time DS sicks up is either he has swallowed a piece of something way too big and it gets stuck half way down so it has to come back up (he looks uncomfortable for a moment whilst he brings it up but once it's out he generally picks it up and has another go at it - yum!) or when he has drunk lots of water.  He has silent reflux, so usually not generally very sicky but when the reflux is worse he does sick up, in his case it's the water that is coming back up but it seems to drag a few lumps with it (usually of something very dry like rice cake so I've stopped giving them to him).  I'm not going to limit water intake though as he obviously wants it.  But it doesn't sound like this is what's happening with your LO and I don't have any other ideas.

(I just posted this on another thread but thought I'd copy it over here too)
I had a scary choke session today.
Whilst DS sat in his highchair pushing an entire banana and then kiwi quarters down his throat I managed to choke on the smallest slither of kiwi imaginable.  It was horrible I really needed to cough and couldn't breath in enough to get enough air for a cough...I did somehow manage to produce a cough which must have dislodged it some and I sucked in a tiny bit of air which must have also been breathing the kiwi back in!  It went on for maybe 5 mins and with each tiny cough I must have dislodged it enough to get a tiny bit more air in, by the end of this I was breathing lots and coughing a huge amount whilst also trying to tell DS that mummy was fine in a really cheery voice as he looked so worried.  I continued coughing quite a bit for the next hour or so and could still feel something small moving there.  How stupid do you feel when a 9 month old manages his food better than you do??!!

I think this is a good reminder of what Nuala has said, if they aren't upset at all afterwards then it wasn't a choke.  I felt pretty rotten and had to force myself to continue eating to show DS I was ok.  The only times he has been upset are when he chokes on water from his sippy cup which on occasion has put him off the rest of his food.

Offline Papaya

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 01:39:50 am »
yes, I meant to say too that the only thing F chokes on is water!
*Nuala*

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 21:50:29 pm »
Hello all,

Started BLW 2 weeks ago and am not feeling confident about what to give LJ that she can feed herself. Have done pretty much everything Squeakersmum talked about, including the rice cakes. LJ's not eating much at all but I am remaining calm and only occasionally think I should go with the purée weaning - have mushed up a little bit of food and LJ puts it in her mouth if you give her the spoon with something on it.

Anyway, just had the brainwave of looking on BW and yay - it hasn't let me down. Why did into think of this weeks ago? On it every day!!

So... definitely sticking with BLW now and am going to try some of these amazing recipes. Thanks xx

Offline jay2yay

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:54 am »
Thanks for the advice creations and Nuala :)

It's so hard to sit back when he gets that bad. But he wasn't upset when I took it out- he immediately wanted more so I guess that's my answer.
Justine

Offline Papaya

« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 02:48:27 am »
Welcome Snowbird!
*Nuala*

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 20:41:21 pm »
Welcome snowbird.

We had a really good weekend for BLW. We went away so we ate all sorts of different things B did fantastic. He had a cooked breakfast one morning and a fruit salad the next. For dinner we had a party with a buffet and he did great. Today we had a halloween party and he sat with the other kids and had loads of bread sticks. And his nappy is full of undigested bits of food so I know it is going in now.

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2011, 09:52:17 am »
I tried some porridge on a loaded spoon this morning but he got so frustrated. I made it thick so it would stay on but then he couldn't get it off. I gave him a crumpet and he ate loads. If i look at the tray there is so much waste i think he hasn't eaten any but when he pôos it is lumpy so he must be.

Offline Papaya

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 10:34:42 am »
F still struggles with loaded spoons and mostly can't be bothered, although she had a bit of a breakthrough a couple of days ago and actually managed to eat a bit of porridge from one. It's much easier for her to use her fingers - but she does like to try with the spoon occasionally so I always have one there and wait for her to reach out for it.

It's surprising how much they do put away, eh, even when you think they've just played with it.
*Nuala*

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 13:14:48 pm »
It must be a while before they can have soup? Seems s shame, its so healthy...

Offline Papaya

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 13:29:23 pm »
I know, I love soup! But you can make some soups super thick, and use as a sauce for pasta or rice. Did this with sweetcorn chicken soup (blended) and rice this evening, and she put away piles of it. I've done it with curried sweet potato soup too - yum.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 13:38:16 pm by Papaya »
*Nuala*

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 15:23:19 pm »
They can use it as dip too for bread or bread sticks etc.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 19:09:52 pm »
Thanks! By loaded spoons, I'm assuming you load the spoon up and then just hand it to LO? I've been trying to come up with ideas for finger foods more as tried this a few times but didn't think it was necessarily 'baby led'. Although, suppose she is still feeding herself. LJ likes to take the spoon and put it on her mouth. If she gets the right end she gets it in lol but sometimes struggles with ing it off the spoon xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 19:22:09 pm »
It is fine to load the spoon. It suggests doing so in the book. They Will only eat it if they want it need it and have the skills to do so. It says to do it with naturally sloppy food like porridge or yogurt rather than puree.