Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53395 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2011, 08:36:44 am »
We started doing porridge thick on a loaded spoon but he prefers it runny so i put it in a little pot and he drinks it. He only needs a little help not to tip it too far.

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2011, 17:32:01 pm »
Thanks Creations -do think it's the carrot! She's had cheese on toast which she loved and apple. Fingers crossed!! Was upset earlier and crying in pain but shed only had apple and prob not actually eaten that much. Think she had tummy ache after swallowing some water at swimming.

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2011, 17:35:56 pm »
Welcome Cam's mom.  I couldn't find much on the Internet at all so ended up buying the book.  Will have a look at my favourites in a mo to see of I did have anything else.

Not read all of book yet but so glad I bought it! Feeling more confident already xx

Offline snowbird

• LJ

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2011, 17:41:17 pm »
That's all I have!

Sorry for numerous posts - lost too many long ones on this iPod touch and not taking any chances!

Blw recipe has porridge fingers which are easier for LO to hold. Will post recipe if anyone wants it xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2011, 18:00:46 pm »
I was wondering where that porridge fingers recipe was.  yes please post it or a link if you can as I was looking for it a week or two ago.  Ended up making some gluten free, egg free, sugar free oat cookies instead which DS really liked but half the time he's getting these at snack time and I'd like something different to give at breakfast.
I've been giving baby cereal (I bought the 10month+ one) made really thick and eaten with fingers although I did start with ready brek and now I wish Id stuck to ready brek as DS won't eat it any more, think he has a taste for the baby cereal which is v expensive in comparison.  He has had phases of refusing cereal then loving it, having it on loaded spoons and the refusing the spoon and going in with the fingers...I think he likes variety :)

Re milk after food.  When we first started solids I gave milk one hour before solids, gave water with solids, but then had to give another milk straight after solids.  Went on for about 2 wks I think.  Then we got back to regular milk Es.

dburseth

« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2011, 18:44:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies. We're doing well with steamed apples w/ a bit of cinnimon right now.
I'm making some stew so i'll try some of the meat later today.

Snowbird, I'm hoping to just wing it without having to buy the book...el cheapo here! Thanks for the link.
The porridge fingers sound like a good idea.

Offline creations

« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2011, 19:28:08 pm »
Cam's mom, I haven't read the book and we've had GREAT success here.  I'd say you need to know the general 'rules' of weaning (regardless of method ie salt sugar honey nuts gluten dairy, did I miss anything?) and then just make it up as you go along in response to your LO.

Offline snowbird

• LJ
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2011, 20:51:41 pm »
Yeah, I agree Creations! The basics are in the link I posted earlier (I think...). Will post recipe when I get a mo cx

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2011, 01:06:19 am »
Same here :)

Re porridge fingers - I've never had a recipe, but just mash together about half a cup of oats with a banana or some mango and a bit of cinnamon, add water to cover and mix, press into a square microwave safe container and microwave on 700 watts for 3 mins. Leave to cool/set and cut into fingers. I'm not too hot on measuring things :P so the consistency can vary a bit -  she likes them sticky. If I remember I prepare the night before ready to microwave in the morning, which also has nutritional advantages in terms of soaking the oats.
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:51 am »
Nuala, it sounds like a microwave is a necessity for those porridge fingers to cook the oats.  I don't have a microwave do you think there's a way of oven cooking or would it be impractical - ie do they need to be made fresh each day or can a batch be made do you think.  I won't be putting the oven on every morning for porridge.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2011, 13:40:50 pm »
I'm sure you could make a variation in the oven - I suppose they'd be more chewy, a bit like a muesli bar. Then they'd keep for a few days I'd say, and you could probably freeze them. Or you could try these banana cookies:
Ingredients
•   3 ripe bananas
•   2 cups rolled oats
•   1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
•   1/3 cup vegetable oil
•   1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.   In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Stir in oats, dates, oil, and vanilla. Mix well, and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
3.   Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly brown.

I've only made them once and changed the recipe, so I only used 1/4 cup of oil. I added raisins instead of dates to one half of the mix, and made the other half with no dried fruit at all (wasn't sure how she'd handle the raisins at that stage). Oh, and I added cinnamon instead of vanilla. Ok, so basically not this recipe at all, but it's what I started with  :P. They were pretty good, even the plain banana ones were plenty sweet, and they froze well.
*Nuala*

Offline creations

« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2011, 22:46:02 pm »
Nuala you follow recipes the way I do!!
Thanks for taking the time to give me that.  I've added it to my recipe book.  It's very similar to the recipe I've made a couple of times (and lets face it by the time you've changed the recipe and I've changed the recipe they don't even resemble the recipe :)) and DS loves them, but I've been tending to give them at snack times so ideally would want something different for breakfast.
The ones I made, after spooning half the mix in teaspoon size cookies onto a sheet I then dolloped the rest of the mix in one go onto another sheet, spread it out, marked it off into rectangles and shoved it in the oven.  Re-cut the marked lines whilst still warm to make small flap-jack type cookies instead - a whole lot quicker and easier, the end product looked neater and cooked more evenly.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 18:31:07 pm »
Thanks Nuala! By coincidence I had some bananas I needed to use up so I made a batch this afternoon. They were a big hit with DH and DD1, haven't given any to DD2 yet though.

Yesterday I gave S some home made chicken nuggets and steamed carrot and she loved them! Something must have gone down as there were bits of carrot in her poo today  ;)  Today she had some apple with cinnamon (steamed slightly) and seemed to like that too. Its going well overall though I haven't really had much success giving her food when we're not at home yet.

Offline rugbykaf

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2011, 20:42:38 pm »
Hi people - quick question . . .

just started blw with my twins 2 weeks ago. They r doing fantastically and a rekon E actually managed to ingest most of his blueberry pancake tonight  :D However, they dont seem to be able to pick food up off their trays themselves - its as if they just dont see it! They get really frustrated if i dont hold it up infront of them to take. They can pick up small toys of the floor while sitting???

Ive sat them on a rolled up towel, do they need to be higher or is it developmental???

Kath