Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53235 times)

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2011, 21:53:19 pm »
The MW told me it changed in aug 2009 here in the Uk 2 months after K was born. I was most disappointed as I was still avoiding nuts in my subsequent 2 pg and I really wanted them and I didn't realise the guidelines had changed and I could have been eating them all along.

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2011, 03:02:11 am »
Think I'll try with a little bit of peanut butter one of these days then. I make my own, so can easily not add salt.

*Nuala*

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2011, 17:59:43 pm »
How do you make your own peanut butter?
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Papaya

« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2011, 02:53:26 am »
I buy raw (de-shelled) peanuts and roast them myself on an oven tray (180 degrees, about 10-15 mins but watch and turn as needed). This is just because I haven't been able to find any unsalted roasted ones in the shops.

Then I just use the grinder attachment for my blender. Add a drizzle of a mild vegetable oil of your choice (I use canola, but add a little sesame for a nice flavour when I have some), and a sprinkle of salt if making for adults. I pulse for a while, then leave for a minute, scrap down the sides, another minute, etc until as smooth as you want it. You may have to experiment with the amount of extra oil you add - but try not to add too much at the start, as the oil does start to come out of the nuts and make it a bit smoother the longer you grind. You can always add more if it all seems to get stuck. I've found that doing it when the nuts are still slightly warm (but not hot) helps as well. It sounds hideous in my grinder so it may not be the best for it, but I've been doing it regularly for a year now and the motor hasn't died yet :)

I've never measured what I'm doing, so sorry I can't be more exact! But at a guess, I'd say I use about a cup of nuts and 1-2 tablespoons of oil per lot. It makes a thick, rather than a runny, butter. I've done this with cashews as well.
*Nuala*

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2011, 08:16:48 am »
thus far have been very excited that DH, Nanny and Poppy, and SIL have all been on board with the BLW idea  :o !!! Met with my girlfriends with babies today and told them all the things we had tried.. they seemed confused.. and said 'so did you start with rice cereal before all that?' ... decided not to go into much detail just yet...  :-\

So as i interpreted the book and this thread you don't need to go with the traditional '4 day wait' rule? My LO has really not been sensitive to much so i've introduced sweet potato, pumpkin, avocado, banana, and (favourite) mango- all in about 4 days? does this seem right?  ???

I'm getting much more confident too as initially (day 1) he really didn't eat much- whereas today (day 4) he basically picked up the pumpkin and started putting it in his mouth (and hair, and chest, and ear)! I can really see that in 3 weeks he'll be much better at it and eating more and more!

Also- when did people introduce things like bread pasta and rice? right away? No history of allergy in the family...
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2011, 10:00:22 am »
Great to hear the family is on board!

We introduced roughly a food a day at the start, except for possible allergens like tomato, wheat and dairy, which we waited a couple of days after. We did rice from day one, and bread and pasta in maybe week two or three? No particular reason, we just don't eat as much of them.

Oh, and I just have to put it out there for everyone...if you really want some fun, give your LO a mango seed. The ultimate in both mess and delight (although perhaps one for slightly more experience BLW babies, otherwise frustration factor might be too high).
*Nuala*

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #156 on: November 25, 2011, 10:02:10 am »
We just did it all at once no waiting between new foods. No allergies here though.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2011, 10:44:23 am »
great to hear... i'm just so nervous as it's not the 'usually done' thing!! I want to make sure i'm doing the right thing!! It just REALLY makes sense with heaps of what i do in my job and have studied for years!

I can imagine the joy of a mango seed!! They are cheap as here at the moment- and one of my very favourites- so the cheeks have been quite the hit so far!! I'm excited that he could have beautiful mango as one of his first foods!! May is the PERFECT time to be born!! (Am i a little biased ;P )
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2011, 11:35:09 am »
We started bread right away too. I tried giving rice yesterday but she struggled a bit. It was too small to manage and even with a spoon was a bit awkward :-\  0therwise she's doing quite well, though I'm not sure how much is going down. I guess its still early days though?

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2011, 12:39:27 pm »
It sounds like we're pretty much at the same point becky gatt.... my LO sure is having a ball though!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline snowbird

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • LJ
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2011, 00:28:06 am »
With you Becky and Katy!! But LJ is enjoying herself and I'm really chilled out about it - despite questions about what and 'how much' she's eating lol xx

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2011, 10:38:15 am »
It is so nice not to be doing but that time consuming pureeing. We finally have a pincer grip her so cheerios are on the menu and so Will peas and corn be.

Offline beckygatt

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28:27 am »
Wow pincer grip already! That's good :). S isn't quite there yet though she's getting better at handling food. Managing to pass from one hand to the other a bit too

Offline Khalam's Mama

« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2011, 12:41:08 pm »
We only just got there at 7mo. We seemed no where near at 6mo.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #164 on: November 27, 2011, 13:21:09 pm »
Ok- i'll ask again.. I'm pretty average with not panicing about how much he eats. SO here's what a couple of our mealtimes are like- do they sound typical?

Hamish in his High chair with mummy at the table with him or in the kitchen doing stuff... I either pop pieces of soft food like mango, pumpkin, rockmelon etc. on his tray and sometimes hold them up. He grabs the food- squishes it in his fingers, pushes some off the tray, brings it near his mouth and drops it, sucks it off his fingers, or has a suck on the end of the food.

Other mealtimes (like tonight) he'll play with the food but not really put much in his mouth, have a little suck on something, squish it all up but not really taste it...

Does that sound like where you were at 6 months about a week after starting? (he's 6 months today! I figured a week earlier was still pretty much 6 months!)

I'm trying to be a really relaxed go with the flow person.. truly i am!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!