Author Topic: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9  (Read 53556 times)

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: Baby Led Weaning Support Thread - Part 9
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2012, 22:32:49 pm »
Yeah- i'm sure she will!! Possibly if you give her sticks of things, rather than airway sized chunks, so that she won't pop the whole thing in... but that's me trying to be cautious!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2012, 22:42:29 pm »
Thanks! I guess it was an instinctive/habit thing because DS has his meat etc cut up for him if he can't do it himself on his plate rather than picking it up and chewing off a chunk! Lol!!

Offline MommyMoulton

• Showing Appreciation 12
  • Kiss Anyone?
« Reply #392 on: January 08, 2012, 00:50:15 am »
Well... E was to have pureed carrots tonight.. which he has had before... And he WASNT having it at all... a few spoonfuls then noda. He just loves fruit... but he is gonna have to get used to it somehow. I did steam up a slice of a pepper and gave it to him after... it did make it to the mouth a few times but not a whole lot of eating... just playing with it. Once it hit the floor I gave up for today.

On the up side... E, i think, has figured out how to drink from the sippy cup.... heard the sounds of the water being sucked... too bad nothing ended up down the throat... just down the front of him... LOL Trying my darnest to take everything in stride.... as he is just learning... but there are refusal days like today where I would just like to skip and go straight to 9months old.
Melissa

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #393 on: January 08, 2012, 01:46:10 am »
HA ha- don't panic MM- there are still refusal days for us too! THe benefit is that at this point it really doesn't matter if he refuses! There's always the milk back up! And hamish seems to think water is great as a mouth wash- in, swirl around and out again- he LOVES it!! Reaches out for the cup again and again- then in and down the front!! He does get some, and in a couple of months i'm sure he'll be getting heaps! Just keep offerring the finger foods and he'll work it out! Especially foods that he likes like soft fruits. It's hard in winter... not as many nice soft fruits about!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline Papaya

• Showing Appreciation 79
    • It's a dangerous thing, stepping out your front door...
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2012, 07:11:02 am »
And hamish seems to think water is great as a mouth wash- in, swirl around and out again- he LOVES it!! Reaches out for the cup again and again- then in and down the front!! He does get some, and in a couple of months i'm sure he'll be getting heaps!

haha, F still loves this trick and she's almost one  ::)  She drinks properly when she's thirsty though, so I just try to ignore it the rest of the time. And it is handy when brushing teeth  ;).
*Nuala*

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »
Just found this site - looks like some nice recipes there

http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/baby-led-weaning-recipes.html

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2012, 12:57:11 pm »
Love the link creations! I think i've seen it before but had forgotten.. i so need some more inspiration!

so- are people using whole milk in cooking? What about a smidgen on weetbix, or as a dampening/wetting agent? (you know, for dry crumbly foods)

So i'm not sure about this 'offer food till they stop eating' bit- tonight e simply had to stop hamish's dinner as we'd run out of food!!  Just kept eating!! So- for the newbies- it does happen!! Balances out the no eat days for sure!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 13:03:07 pm by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #397 on: January 08, 2012, 13:14:11 pm »
have you all seen Lemonthyme's great blog? http://mamacook.blogspot.com/ great collection of baby friendly recipes- and beautifully photographed and presented! No salt and sugar- perfect!

They are designed for the whole family too- not just babies!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 13:15:49 pm by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #398 on: January 08, 2012, 19:08:40 pm »
Katy, guidance in the UK is that you can use whole milk in cooking or on cereal etc from 6 months so I did.  Just can't give it to them as their main milk source because it isn't as good as breast or formula milk.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #399 on: January 08, 2012, 19:39:06 pm »
Yes we use milk for cooking/cereals etc but as creations said just not for drinks.

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #400 on: January 08, 2012, 19:47:07 pm »
great! Have you guys served prunes- you know to help with constipation. How have you done them? Do you give prune juice? He seems a little bunged up... 
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline creations

« Reply #401 on: January 08, 2012, 20:16:47 pm »
I give a whole prune.  DS usually has one a day, he loves them and would eat a whole bag if I let him (which I DON'T).  If he starts getting a bit too soft I hold off for a day or two, and offer carrots (although he won't eat carrots atm, he's off many veg atm actually!)

I made a right mess up yesterday though.  Hadn't baked muffins in a while and had ripe bananas that needed using.  Whipped up some muffins and in a strange moment of not really thinking about it I chopped up a load of prunes (got a bag on reduced price as they must be eaten this month) and chucked them in.  The muffins were LOVELY.
We each had one, but then later on DP gave DS his afternoon snack and when he updated me it turned out it was another muffin!  I then worked out there was the equivalent of two prunes per muffin!!!!!!  Talk about laxative foods!
This morning he had the kind of poop you really don't want to see in the morning  :-X

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #402 on: January 08, 2012, 20:26:00 pm »
Ha ha ha!! Oh no!!! Oh well- he's not constipated at least ;) ... I might add that prune in then- as insurance..
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline squeakersmum

• Steph
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • So grown up already!
« Reply #403 on: January 08, 2012, 20:43:28 pm »
Lol!!! I HAVE to share...

I made some banana toast from that link (which I great btw! Thanks!) and used some frozen BM that I had left in the freezer. Abi was having a goo chew on one and Ben was eating some too. DH wandered into the kitchen and said 'Ooh, that looks nice Ben! Can Daddy have a bit?' DS of course said yes and before I could stop him he popped one in his mouth!! Priceless!!!

That said, he's also eaten part of the inside of a disposable nappy...

Abi is very enthusiastic about grabbing food and putting it in her mouth - just still doesn't actually swallow much of it!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
« Reply #404 on: January 08, 2012, 20:46:59 pm »
LOL!!! Oh well- if you run out of milk for the coffee you know that DH can just have a squeeze of BM!!
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!