Author Topic: Eat this or there's nothing else. Anyone had success with this method?  (Read 5839 times)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 585
Re: Eat this or there's nothing else. Anyone had success with this method?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 11:45:00 am »
Are there 2YO molars at play?  M lived on yogurt for weeks just after 2YO and once the teeth were through things got better. 

{{{hugs}}} on the awful nap PD xx

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:57:17 am »
I would make his supper JUST supper, and maybe have the yogurt and fruit separately in another hour or closer to bedtime.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 12:11:34 pm »
I would make his supper JUST supper, and maybe have the yogurt and fruit separately in another hour or closer to bedtime.
Me too!

A food diary is a good idea.   Hopefully it will show you he is eating lots of foods and good quantities across the week.  I think if its showing you he is eating good quantities but only of a small group of particular foods then you can get a plan in place for increasing the different foods he eats. 

Offline Truly Blessed

• Showing Appreciation 125
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2011, 15:19:59 pm »
Hiya,

Yes Shiv it's the 2 year molars, and it has been weeks now, that's another reason why I've been a bit more leniant with him. It's funny you should say to seperate the dinner time. I just took him out of the chair after he refused his savoury meal and decided to leave it an hour before offering the rest. Great minds and all that LOL!  ;)

Thanks so much for your advice.x.

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 18:49:29 pm »
 :-*

Flipping molars  >:( >:(

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 19:02:16 pm »
LOL Shiv..you said it  ::).x.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2011, 10:54:16 am »
Eating is HORRIBLE here as of late (not that it was every really good). Been trying to be stricter at dinner but unless it's pasta, most nights he cries. Sometimes he'll eat enough of other things to be OK, sometimes he won't - but he almost never tries the main meal (unless it's pasta). Last night he cried over fish cake, served with his choice of roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries. He ended up licking a few roasted potatoes and eating 2-3 sweet potato fries and that was it. I offered oatmeal or a banana before bed (about 1.5 hours later) and he said oatmeal but then only had one spoonful before making a face and refusing that too. And since he doesn't drink milk he went to bed with an empty tummy. He did sleep all night, though he was up at the crack of 6am - though he's been waking early lately in general...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2011, 11:04:37 am »
Awh {{{{hugs}}}} Karen xx

You know dinners have been a nightmare since M started nursery as she is SO tired!  So I have started feeding her and R 'dinner' at lunch and then at dinner they have more lunch type foods and that really seems to be helping with what they are eating overall.  Total pain for me.  But what I've been doing is making say lasagne for me and DH and then keeping some for their lunch the next day and that helps. 

Is M more tired than usual or have you pesky teeth playing havoc too?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2011, 17:38:23 pm »
I wish Siobhan (on the lunch thing) but some days he refuses that too! Though he did have both breakfast and lunch so far today. And given that dinner is pasta for the kids tonight (DH and I have a date night) I'm sure he'll eat that too. Definitely think two-year molars are bugging him, though I can't see anything there yet. He's been having more and looser BMs too.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2011, 20:04:38 pm »
Hi Ladies,

Hugs from me too Karen  :(

It's so hard not to stress...I find. DS is teething those pesky 2 year molars and it's taking forever! I find at the moment that he also doesn't want hot food, I think the colder stuff is easier on his gums so I have started to switch up his meals this week. At Dinner time he just isn't eating his main hot meal so I am giving him toast instead for breakfast and he is eating a bowl of cereal for his Dinner with icy cold milk..he always eats it so for the meantime I see no harm and it's still nutritous. Yesterday he ate next to nothing and today he ate like a horse, so it just goes to show me he won't go hungry. For breakfast he ate 2 slices of toast, half a banana, 2 kiwi fruit, a small box of raisins and 8 mini rice cakes  :o Hmm I know that's a lot of fruit, but thankfully he just loves it. I've come to the conclusion you get through the sticky weeks however you can and hope that when those teeth pop things will return to normal. Sam has also been on a great multivitamin with Omega 3 so I can rest assured he is getting what he needs on the bad days.

(X)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 20:50:50 pm »
I was thinking of you girls earlier. 

And was thinking that is will and does get easier with age.  I think for now the biggest thing that can cause issues in the future is for these monkeys to work out that if they create enough of a fuss that mummy will run and swap the meal infront of them for something else.  They won't really know if they are getting pasta 5 times a week KWIM? 

M is now 3.5 or just abouts.  We have recently been able to introduce 'taste one bite of everything on the plate' rule and it has went really well. She is eating loads more veg now and fruit too actually.    i can now say to her that if she doesn't eat enough dinner there is nothing else and she totally understands that. 

So really your guys are little still and its amazing the difference a bit more understanding can make so try not to worry too much.  Keep providing lots of difference foods and don't let them work out you will keep providing food until they eat and it will be fine.  I was just thinking that when M was getting teeth and not eating dinner I always gave porridge for supper and she in no way connected it to not eating dinner as it was just supper. 

{{{hugs}}}}

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 318
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 21:08:35 pm »
I agree with Shiv! I think having an older one you can see how these toddler monkeys will end up. DS was just like DD is now at this age and he was a much poorer eater to start with than she was/is. He eats a lot of things now and will taste things so I'm pretty sure when she gets over the nap transition and being a toddler she will one day eat properly!

We went out for tea yesterday so I let her have a 2 hour nap for the first time in ages in the afternoon. She sat really nicely in the restaurant, ate all her tea and *forced* down a bowl of ice cream just for me ;) - it just showed that if she isn't too tired she will eat well. That did however lead to her falling asleep at 10pmlast night and being an OT nightmare today so it's just as well we don't eat out often ::) ;D

I also thing it gets easier when they can tell you what they want/ don't want in words rather than screaming at you :P

Laura

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2011, 06:23:52 am »
Thanks Laura,

I always hoped when he can communicate better that things would get easier. I am going to try and chill now...honestly  ::) LOL. Mind you DS has always been amazing at getting his point across even before he had any words  :o and I don't think it will be long at all now before he can tell me exactly what's what as his new words are flying in thick and fast  :D yesterday he came out with 9 new ones  :o I love it!!!

(X)

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2011, 17:14:59 pm »
Go Sammy!!!!! 

Offline Truly Blessed

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 07:00:15 am »
Hi Ladies,

A quick update:

On Wednesday Sam had a 45 min OT nap and I wanted to get him in bed for 6.30 so dinner time was a rush as we got in late. Because of this I decided to give him 'an old favourite' wild mushroom chicken noodle' dish, which was already good to go. I expected to replace it with cereal  ::). Then to my enormous shock  :o he picked up his spoon and ate the whole dish full then asked for more!  I felt like I'd won the lottery. I left him to it and didn't make a fuss, not even praise untill he'd finished. The only thing I did differently was for us to smell it before he ate it LOL. He loves to smell things at the moment (especially play dough LOL) and I wonder if because it smelled nice it encouraged him  ??? who knows. Anyway last night he ate a full dish of Lasagne for dinner, so 2 nights of wonderful success. It had been weeks since he at any 'proper dish' and not just finger foods. I am praying this particular fussy stage is passing. Keep your finger's X'd for us please  ;).

(X)