Author Topic: Diaper rash... caused by solids?  (Read 15646 times)

Offline momma.bear

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: October 23, 2011, 00:38:25 am »
My LO has a nasty bright red diaper rash and has had it for the past 5 or so days. I've put cream on it for the past 4 days and it hasn't gotten any better. I started her on solids just under 2 weeks ago- avocado for the first 4 days, no rash that I noticed, and then bananas and 2 days later rice cereal. The rash started then, and I'm not sure that it was caused by one of those foods. Since the rash started, she's also been introduced to squash, and then pears today. I think the rash may be because she's had so many hard stools. She has at least 4 a day.
Anyone else had this? Not sure what to do. We see the doctor on Wednesday. I'm going to hold off on the pears for a bit as I read that they can cause loose stools, which would irritate the rash. Any advice?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Diaper rash... caused by solids?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:49:55 am »
Hi, banana and rice can both be constipating. If you think the rash is because of this I would steer clear of them and include pear to soften them. Just make sure you keep checking and change the nappy as soon as it is soiled! HTH

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 13:05:02 pm »
She wasn't constipated, but had several soiled diapers with only tiny amounts throughout the day. And this started happening when I introduced bananas and rice cereal. I was thinking that pears would make them too soft and irritate her rash, but I will give this a try. I'll start doing pears, avocado and squash until the rash clears up since these are the foods that are likely safe.

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 15:25:04 pm »
Put loads of barrier cream on. We always use Sudocrem and that clears up any rash here but I know it doesn't suit everyone.

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 15:44:34 pm »
squash gives Oliver a burnt bottom ... as do apples, soya, carrots and citrus fruit ... and teething!
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 19:17:04 pm »
Could be food, could be teething, could be nothing!  That's the thing with babies.  I wouldn't be too quick to diagnose intolerances, genuine allergies and intolerances exist but not from one event without talking to a doc.

If you're worried it might be the food, there would be no harm at this age in stopping the solids for a couple of days.

Chances are though it is teething.  We have had a few unexplained nappy rash incidents too.  Does she have eczema?  I'll tell you what's worked for us.  Change the nappy regularly and immediately after any poo, only use wipes if you need to, don't use them for wet nappies, just dry off the bottom with a clean, soft muslin and also dry after using wipes for soiled nappies.  Slather on the sudocrem.  If it's still not better in a couple of days might be worth popping to the docs to rule out thrush or another infection.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 21:07:58 pm »
I don't think she's teething. I can see toothbuds through her gums, but they've been there for months and she's hardly drooling. She has cradle cap and had some weird rash in the fold of her neck which the doctor said was eczema but I'm not convinced. I'm pretty sure the rash is from the change in her BM- they used to be very loose but now they are definitely solid, and she has 3-4 throughout the day. We're going to the doctors on Wednesday so we'll ask him as well. I've been putting cream on since last Thursday but no real change. It's the kind of rash that even after I dried the area it still had a shine to it, like it was pussy or something.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 21:38:07 pm »
MY LO gets this, I call it bum burn as it is bright red like a burn and not really nappy rash as it is not the whole nappy area but exactly where the poop has touched, even when I change the nappy asap.  With mine I think it is a sensitivity to certain foods, they don't make him poorly more like a contact reaction.  I'm still trying to work out exactly which foods cause the problem.

I find metanium cream works very quickly, especially over night to reduce the burn in 12 - 24 hrs.  Where as bepanthan doesn't really help it heal but does provide a barrier to help prevent the poop effecting the delicate skin.  In either case make sure the area is totally dry before applying.  Microfiber is very absorbent and can dry the area without rubbing, some bargain shops (pound shops) sell microfiber towels or I've even seen some sold as car wash cloths.

I agree with lemonthyme that stopping for a few days to let it clear and then reintroducing the foods again and checking for the redness (maybe up to 24 hrs later) to return to rule out any particular sensitivity.  Once you have lots of different foods introduced it's much more difficult to track it down.
x

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 23:31:30 pm »
That sounds exactly what my LO has. She doesn't cry and it doesn't seem to bother her, and the rash is only where the poop touched. They don't sell metanium cream here in Canada. Maybe my doctor will recommend something...
I will definitely stop the solids for a few days to let it clear up and then start introducing the foods again. There are only 5, so it shouldn't take long to figure out the culprit.  Thanks for your help!

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 00:56:24 am »
I started my LO on avocado for 4 days before introducing any other solids and she didn't have a rash. And the rash came with either bananas or rice cereal. I then added squash and pears. Do you think it's safe to keep her on avocado and pears since she didn't have the rash with avocado and pears are one of the least likely foods to cause allergies? I'm just worried that she won't be getting enough calories. She's eating 4 Tbsp of solids daily now.

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 04:46:19 am »
4 tbsp of solids a day is minimal in terms of calories hun - don't worry!  She will make it up with BF or formula just fine :)

My DD is sick with a cold right now and I reduced solids to ensure that she is getting lots of good nutrients from her formula - she only increased from her daily average of 22 ozs up to 28 ozs... I cut out half of her lunch and half of her dinner...

Honestly, if it appears more as a burn type rash - I would bet teething as well.  We have only had that type of rash 4 times... and we have 4 teeth ;)  The extra saliva makes there poops almost burn them :( 

I live in Canada too - best thing is extra strength zinc cream (40% zinc oxide) slathered on that bum... and like Creations said, no wipes except for poops and dry her well before putting a new diaper on...   another very good thing for clearing up a sore bum - AIR TIME :)

Offline firsttimemummy

• Showing Appreciation 62
  • gone to enjoy the little things in life (my boys)
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 08:10:26 am »
I find that teething tend to give a spotty groin and burnt bottom, whereas too much of certain irritating foods only burn where the poo has been.  Look for patterns - try foods a few times, and if it happens every time then it is likely to be that - but teething does come and go, which makes it all hard to figure out! :(
L x Having a bw break from 1 Feb 2012 - if you want to get in touch please send me a pm.  I may not be here but you are all in my thoughts xxxx (probably be back some time)

still happily married, just not counting!

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 18:59:59 pm »
I find that teething tend to give a spotty groin and burnt bottom, whereas too much of certain irritating foods only burn where the poo has been.

More proof that babies are all different, just to keep us on our toes and totally in the dark about everything ::)  DD gets the red bum only where the poop is when she is teething... food issues give her diarrhea, but don't cause a burn LOL!

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 21:10:02 pm »
I find that teething tend to give a spotty groin and burnt bottom, whereas too much of certain irritating foods only burn where the poo has been.

More proof that babies are all different, just to keep us on our toes and totally in the dark about everything Roll Eyes  DD gets the red bum only where the poop is when she is teething... food issues give her diarrhea, but don't cause a burn LOL!
It's definitely not a teething rash with my DS he's had this so many times it's crazy and only has 3 teeth.  He also had an extended period of only ever getting that really great poo type poo that is well formed and self contained and was still getting burn from it so it seems to me the food was agreeable on the inside but not on the outside.

mommabear, there's been lots of time DS had this, maybe just pink or red and wasn't bothered, like your LO not upset or crying or in pain.  But as time has gone on it seems to cause more discomfort and pain and he cries at nappy change which is sad.  Each time I think I have found the culprit and excluded another food it comes back again and I'm looking again at what it might have been.  DS has had around 300 food types, which makes the job more difficult.  I did keep a food diary when he started solids but nothing appeared to cause a reaction so I thought we were ok to expand the foods...I am surprised that the reaction was caused by banana or rice though but please you will be able to experiment with those things before it becomes more complicated.

Good luck with it.  The other thing to remember is that you can reintroduce any foods which cause this type of reaction after potty training as the food/poop won't touch the skin but go straight into potty/toilet.  I was advised this from other BWers who BTDT.
x

Offline momma.bear

• Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2011, 00:28:34 am »
Creations- my LOs BM are all "well formed and self contained", but it's like it burns her bottom as it comes out. I change her right after she has one, but still got the rash. It's almost gone now. We went without solids yesterday, and today I reintroduced avocado, pears, and squash as I'm almost positive it's none of those. We'll go with these again tomorrow to make sure, and then I think I'll start introducing new solids and try bananas and rice cereal in a bit. My doctor told me today that it takes time for babies to get used to certain foods.
But she was also constipated, and rice cereal can be constipating, so I'm betting that it was rice cereal that caused it. Not sure why she'd get a rash from that though. Good luck with your LO. Wow, 300 food types is not fun problem solve around!