Author Topic: Afraid of animals.  (Read 2135 times)

Offline lullaby

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Afraid of animals.
« on: October 23, 2011, 22:30:47 pm »
My little man is terrified of animals. I have brought him to a local animal farm 3 times since he turned 1, and he has refused point blank to get out of the buggy. He has been brought to the Zoo twice in the last year also and he has been afraid, won't get out of the buggy. We don't have a pet but 2 close family members have a dog and he is fine with them!! He is almost 2. Will he grow out of this? The animal farm is near to me and a lovely day out even in winter, there's big fields and a playground and a lovely coffee shop...do I have to stop trying?

Offline Roseii

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 198
Re: Afraid of animals.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 22:33:24 pm »
Listening in, DD1 is TERRIFIED of animals, dogs too :( Even cats ::) She seriously, seriously freaks around dogs, and isn't keen on zoo animals even though they're behind bars...
Blessed mum to two home-birthed darling water babies

hey you with the pretty face, welcome to the human race

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 23:42:57 pm »
I think that staying in the buggy is fine...as long as he isn't upset.  He will almost surely outgrow it...if it were me I'd honor it and skip the zoo for a while. Maybe get some books and do that for a while...practice the sounds that animals make, etc.   Whenever dd was afraid of something (the vaccum and anything motorized were huge issues!) I just avoided that thing for a while...and took baby steps.   I'd stick with pictures, maybe move up to a DVD of a zoo...and then re-visit in several months...being prepared to stand way back and be ok with him staying in the buggy.   :)

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 00:27:20 am »
I think that if he is ok in the buggy. then you can continue to take him to the animal park/zoo. Just be ok with him staying in the stroller maybe invite a friend with a child a similar age who does like animals to go with. I think that not playing into it. but also not pushing him is the best way to help him overcome. If you skip the zoo or don't take him anymore it might become a bigger issue IMO.
   I had one family who I worked for their toddler was terrified of the vacuum and plastic bags rustling together, obviously these are things that you sometimes can't avoid doing so she would just go about her day and a month later he's the one who wants to vacuum.
   All it takes is you being confidant in the fact that animals at the zoo will not hurt him. and there is nothing to be afraid of. Also don't ask him to get out of the buggy when he's ready he will let you know:)
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 00:41:31 am »
Charli - we HAVE 2 cats (granted, they are not in our main living area since dh is allergic to them) and 2 of mine are terrified of other (and our own) cats (and dogs, don't even get me started on dogs).

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 02:13:00 am »
To me the key issue is his demeanor while at the zoo. If he is scared, crying, then I would seriously question the value in continuing to go....at barely 2 yrs old, he has time to grow more aware and have animal experiences in smaller doses first.  IMO, honoring a fear isn't playing into it...fear is fear.   A child can (and usually does) grow out of a fear, and become ok with the thing they used to be scared of....but in their own time, with support and baby steps...jmho.

Offline brittanyalice

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 04:43:18 am »
I agree with Amelia that if he is crying, it might have to wait. But if he just does not want to get out of the buggy there is no reason not to go, he might just be taking his time to get used to the animals. A fear of big animals is perfectly normal I mean theycan hurt you if they wanted to and I am sure kids are aware of danger too. Is he crying or upset to go?
Past Pre School teacher, nanny & baby whisperer to 11 beautiful babies: Kiki, Robert,Benny,Hailey,Cooper,Colton,Blake, Alexandra, twins! (Skylar and Gavin), and newest addition little Sammie.