Author Topic: Help - Wont physically touch soft foods  (Read 2694 times)

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help - Wont physically touch soft foods
« on: October 28, 2011, 15:18:51 pm »
Hi!
My 10.5 mth old is still on stage 2 and a few stage 3 foods. He wont touch.....I mean physically with his hands....soft food like diced banana. Will only physically touch and self feed harder foods like diced chedder cheese, toast, puffs etc.  I dont feel it is a good idea to keep giving him pureed fruit and veggies but he wont eat it any other way.  Anybody have similar issues?

Offline Buntybear

• Food Allergies
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 130
  • Just the wheat allergy to go now!
Re: Help - Wont physically touch soft foods
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 16:08:38 pm »
Is the fact that it is soft or is it slippery food he doesn't like? Banana can feel very odd!

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 17:34:47 pm »
My youngest had the same issue...I used to put that kind of stuff in a little mesh feeder with a handle on it and she loved it, could eat it without having to touch it!  This is what we had:

http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-2-Pack-Nibbler-Colors-Vary/dp/B000WMV0XW

I did still a bit of the food in front of her in case she decided to brave touching it, and now she has no qualms about getting in and eating soft stuff with her hands.
Heidi

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 20:24:00 pm »
My son was similar with mashed potato but now eats it fine now he will eat with a spoon.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 14:24:50 pm »
It is ANYTING that has moistness to it...even diced apple..picks it up and drops it right away but will eat applesauce.  I tried putting a few green peas on his plate and same thing.  He likes muffins, toast, Mummums, puffs and cheddar cheese diced.  I want to get chicken and meat in him but it is tough as well unless it is jarred.  I can sometimes give him a few shreds of chicken if I put it in his mouth but he usually spits it right out.  If I add it to his pureed food he will sometimes not realize I am giving it to him and take it.  I just don't know what to do!! I want to put diced steamed veggies and other healthy foods in front of him and he should be able to eat them right?

Offline We Three

• Showing Appreciation 418
  • The Sweetest Thing....
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 14:37:39 pm »
 Up until 12 months, remember that food (solids) are for experimentation and practice...and that is just what you're doing.   :)  I wouldn't worry too much that he isn't willing to touch "wet" foods...I'd just keep offering, and keep putting them in his mouth for a while longer.  He'll eat, but won't touch, is that right?  Be sure he is getting lots of sensory experience apart from food...crinkly toys, chewing toys with nubs on them...teethers fron the fridge...touching grass, water, etc.   The baby safe feeder is a great option...it gives flavor and texture and familiarity with a food without him touching just yet.   Is he bothered when his hands are messy? 

Offline Hedgehog17

• Showing Appreciation 71
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 14:40:28 pm »
I want to put diced steamed veggies and other healthy foods in front of him and he should be able to eat them right?

Unfortunately not - some LOs won't do this until much older! My DS is older than yours and he won't even eat stage 2 stuff most of the time, never mind stage 3  :(

All you can do is keep offering and one day he'll take it  :) Most LOs will eat soft diced food at around 12mo, so you've a while to go yet!

*Hugs*

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 16:04:15 pm »
Spencer was never a big fan of steamed veggies, and I found recently that she loves to eat them raw! Not that she could have at that age, but oh well.  I would keep feeding the purees and then offer some finger food as well.  It may take awhile but eventually he will try it. 
Heidi

Offline meredith1851

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2011, 18:35:12 pm »
Thanks all for responding. I guess I will not worry too much about it.  Sometimes I can put little pieces of things in his mouth but he usually turns away and refuses it unless it is pureed.  He seriously looks at his hands in disgust when they get messy..maybe that is why he likes dry foods....i don't know!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2011, 18:59:31 pm »
Why not offer the foods he doesn't normally accept alongside ones he does?  I think it's a bit of a slippery slope to 'decide' he doesn't like something and then stop offering it.  One thing I found though is around the same age he started to want to eat more 'drier' finger foods.  I'm not sure he was as picky as your little one is but there was certainly a phase.

I made things like potato cakes and fish cakes.  http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/04/potato-cakes.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/06/salmon-and-spinach-fishcakes-for-babies.html

I'd just keep trying though.  I think I said on another thread, my son went off grapes (I halved them normally to avoid choking hazards), then I tried slicing them one day and he tried them again.  It's worth mixing up how you present things too, you never know?

It's teething central for some kids at 10-11 months too.  He might be fussy now but it needn't last forever.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/