Author Topic: Dairy Still a No Go  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Dairy Still a No Go
« on: October 28, 2011, 20:27:03 pm »
DS (almost 29 months) has been completely off dairy for 6 months now after we found out he has a strong IgG intolerance to cow's milk. With him it was a delayed reaction and usually resulted in NWs/stomach cramps, loose stools and lowered immune system, as well as nasal congestion.

Since he's a picky eater and is starting to want more what his sister and friends at school have, we decided (in consultation with our holistic practitioner) to give trace amount of dairy a try. He had homemade pasta sauce on Tuesday night that had a small amount of cream in it. His portion had maybe 1 tsp worth. Then on Wednesday night he had two small chocolate chip cookies that have butter as the 5th ingredient. Well last night he had his first extended NW in a while and today he took only a 40 minute nap - that hasn't happened in ages. Then as I was changing his diaper before I saw some bumps on his tongue and I'm pretty sure it's NOT coxsackie as he's eating and drinking normally and not acting sick. And as we took DD home from the bus before I had to pull a large green booger out of his nose - again that hasn't happened in a long time.

Sigh... I wasn't really expecting him to be able to have much dairy yet, just hoping maybe occasional small amounts were OK. And I'm just surprised that such a tiny amount can cause a pretty significant reaction!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 20:30:33 pm »
hugs, Karen!!!  It is crazy how allergies can mess with things!!  Good that you can identify them, even at such small portion.  sorry I was not up to date, so Matty has been having good nights?  that is GREAT news!!  xx

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
Re: Dairy Still a No Go
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 20:48:01 pm »
Thanks Koe! Yes, he had been sleeping quite well at night for some time - sometimes EW but often not. I just can't believe he still reacts so strongly to such a tiny amount of dairy!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Showing Appreciation 249
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 20:52:30 pm »
{{{hugs}}}  Spencer gets severely constipated with dairy...I gave her a bit of yogurt 2 days ago (first time in about a year for dairy) and she had one very solid poo and hasn't gone since! Her tummy got very hard too, and her behaviour was off the wall, plus an EW this am, which never happens!!!
Heidi

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 20:59:40 pm »
Awh sorry hun. 

My friends LO is MPI and she has jsut started being able to have some very very small amounts of dairy at 3YO.  Before this she reacted really badly, really quickly but it has gotten better. 

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 23:38:19 pm »
Thanks hun. The blow out diaper tonight was the icing on the cake! Poor little guy. Hopefully it's out of his system quickly...

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 07:51:12 am »

hmmm I am now wondering about our DS2 who has multiple intolerances incl dairy but still on organic butter as his only dairy - for his GF toast.... he has been getting frequent colds the past 3-6 months where as his brother never gets them.   I am reluctant to switch to gee but maybe we should.....

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 12:48:34 pm »
eloise, i hope Karen dosnt mind me replying to you here.  Is DS2 Kai?  You know what?  I really found that i had to treat the actual food sometimes even i have been treated on the elements of food, like the energy marker for spices.  I will get on finding out who is good in NSW for you!  xx 

Offline my3girlsjde

• Sometimes a superpower is simply surviving the chaos.....
  • Showing Appreciation 115
  • Reflux, sleep apnea and food allergies
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 13:17:50 pm »
Many {{{hugs}}}

I fear we're going to be in the same boat too and it's so frustrating when they want what everyone else is eating and they're a picky eater too.
Vicki - nursing student and proud mother to three refluxers in two years

Remembering my sleeping angels: 17 Jan 06, 30 Jul 09

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 14:00:09 pm »
Back online guys! (Power was out from Saturday afternoon till last night). Eloise, I'd take away the butter and see what happens... My little man is now fighting a cold too!

Offline EloysH

• Showing Appreciation 102
  • Eloise & 2 boys, from reflux to gut healing :)
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 02:30:26 am »
I've taken the butter out. 

No need to aggravate his gut unecessarily.