Author Topic: How much solid food?  (Read 1667 times)

Offline gooders30

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 29, 2011, 16:11:22 pm »
My LO is 6.5 mths old is now on 2 solid meals a day = breakfast & dinner.  At each meal she will eat 3.5 oz of puree veg or fruit (breakfast sometimes its oatmeal as well).  She also has 4 bottles per day of formula milk. 
My question is - is this enough solid food for her and how do i know when she needs more / less in oz?
I know formula wise she shouldnt drop below 24oz /perday but wondered if there is a certain quantity of solids she should be eating month by month as she grows. 

Thanks in advance - i quite baffled by this whole solid feeding thing.

???

Offline *Kara*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
Re: How much solid food?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 20:22:37 pm »
The simple answer is no.  Solids are only for fun and learning at this age, there is no proper amount for her to eat.

That said, the amount she is eating is great!  As a general rule, feed baby until she stops and indicates that she is full.  Babies do not overeat ;)

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 01:12:51 am »
Thanks for your advice Kara.  Is it too much though if it starts interfering with her milk intake? Only i want to introduce a 3rd meal in a couple of weeks when she will be 7 months but i know that its important that most of her nutrients come from the milk.
She has already dropped a few ounces - i know that she is teething too so that might explain the couple of ounces but still!

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:58:22 am »
It could, but I would hold off on the third meal for a while... let her bring that milk intake back up first, then think about adding a third offering ;) 

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 07:07:03 am »
I agree.  I'd be guided by her milk intake and not rush to 3 meals a day.  Also as she's over 6 months I would start introducing other foods.  Why not give cauliflower cheese?  Or make a fish pie kind of puree?  Also you could start giving a more mashed or slightly coarser puree at this age rather than something completely smooth.  It's good to get her onto a wide range of flavours early on if you can.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 19:46:57 pm »
Yes i was going to introduce some protein - chicken, turkey etc this week....also was going to offer yogurt as well and some cheese too to try and vary what she is getting. 

When should they be on 3 meals then as everything i am reading suggests that by 7 months they should be on 3 meals and 3 bottles per day. 
I think the UK and US guidelines are different perhaps?

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 20:11:43 pm »
Canada doesn't really advocate a timeline for 3 meals - it's all following baby's lead really.

Alexandra didn't drop to three bottles until 9 months, she was on 3 meals at about 7 1/2 months.  She did have 3 smaller 6-oz bottles at the same time as her meals though - when she went down to 3 bottles, they all increased to 8 ozs.  Her bedtime one has been 9 ozs for a long time though :)

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 22:06:51 pm »
ok good advice thank you.  I will keep Clementine on 2 meals for a couple of weeks yet - just vary it a bit introducing cheese and some protein too before going to 3meals. 

:)

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2011, 02:53:48 am »
Sounds perfect :)  I love her name :)

Offline gooders30

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 17:42:33 pm »
thank you.   So just to be sure - as long as her milk stays around 24oz she is getting enough - plus yogurts/ cheese / and any other dairy products that i introduce?

There is so much differing advice on this - uk says babies from 6mths need between 18-21oz p/day.....

Offline *Kara*

• So little!
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 04:00:40 am »
For sure - In Canada, they recommend 24 ozs until 10 months, then 20 ozs from there until weaning at 12-15 months.

Our ounces are different, but not enough to really make a difference... I think our 24 is equal to your 25 ;)

I would trust your own instinct and how well you know your own baby on this one - if her diet is really quite varied, then it's okay to drop it a bit, but if she is like my DD then you may not ;)