Author Topic: How little is too little?  (Read 1552 times)

Offline ~Emma~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
How little is too little?
« on: October 29, 2011, 18:59:23 pm »
 Today for example

Wake up - 3oz milk
 B/fast - 2 tsp cereal, spits the rest out. Offered half a banana had 1 bite then threw the rest
 Lunch - Beans on toast (about 4 spoonfuls) then raisins, offered apple but chucked  ::)
 4oz milk
 Dinner - 4 pieces of pasta, a whole kiwi and then a ricecake
 BT - 3oz milk

This is pretty typical, sometimes she'll eat a bit more, sometimes even less .

She just eats terribly little and I'm worried. I have not had her weighed since she was 4/5 months old  :-[ She's not as chunky as she was but she's EXTREMELY mobile, she can now run! She's still got little rolls on her legs.  ;)

B was just such a gannet, he ate very well and this is all new to me. She ate well when she first started solids but not so much now.

Should I be worried?

Offline Lemonthyme

• Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: How little is too little?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 19:02:59 pm »
I have heard of some parents saying their toddler thrives on air!  My son eats loads most days though but he looks light and weighs a tonne!  (People often say "Oh, isn't he solid!")

I just reckon see your health visitor, get her weighed, have a chat with them, that's what they're there for.  She is only 1 year old as well.  It might be completely normal for her.
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline clairebear79

• Claire
  • Showing Appreciation 49
  • My grown up boy! 12 months old
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 19:05:23 pm »
No advice Emma but here to say I am in the same boat with my DS.  For the last few months he has eaten very little at mealtimes.  Most food is refused, except for a few firm favourites.  And he's not teething either.  I just keep offering the food & if he wants it he'll eat, if he doesn't I am trying hard no worry about it.  Think their appetites decrease quite a lot at this age.

(((hugs)))

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 19:10:51 pm »
I was just wondering at this Emma.  Rosa eats so little whereas Maeve seemed to eat all day long.  I actually had her weighed last week at her 1YO check and she's on the 25th centile...moved up from the 9th so she's obviously getting enough.

I often wondered is it because of the MPI as M would have eaten plenty of dairy.

Here's what R ate today to reassure you:

Wake up and BF
Breakfast:  Half a pancake, half bowl weetabix
Snack:  Refused yogurt
Lunch:  Muffin and cream cheese, beans....about 1/8 of the muffin, chucked the beans
Snack:  Raspberries and strawberries....refused
Dinner:  1/3 chicken breast, 2 chips, lettuce, garlic bread (we were out for dinner)
BF before bed

Thats it!   There is teething going on here.  So strange as M ate so so much in comparison to this rascal. 

Offline cuckoochick

• Showing Appreciation 136
  • Mummy to Charlotte Rose and Georgia May
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 19:21:49 pm »
We seem to have days like this too. Today was one such day and as DD cried at BT I panicked I'd sent her to bed starving. :( Some days she'll eat like a horse and others barely anything and we get the throwing too.

I stopped getting DD weighed because I knew she was dropping the centiles a bit and by the next time I did she'd evened out a lot. It is hard not to worry about them but it sounds like D is thriving. I often compare my DD to others of her age and yes she's small but her skin is gorgeous and her eyes look healthy, oh and she never stops too!  

*Nicola*

Offline Shiv52

• The Diplomat
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 585
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 19:31:17 pm »
Nicola makes a great point.  D never stops Emma sure she doesn't?   I imagine she eats enough to do her but any excess is just run off her as she never stops!  R never stops either.  Although she's just started walking this week before that she never stops crawling or climbing or throwing herself at M. 

Offline *Kara*

• Showing Appreciation 184
  • So little!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 19:50:52 pm »
 I know it's worrisome, but I promise you that she will not starve... just offer a variety of things and she will eat when she is hungry.  Have you tried having a snack plate where she can get things easily?  Like cheese, crackers, some fruit etc.. often toddlers are too busy to sit and eat but will eat happily graze all day. 

Offline ~Emma~

• Showing Appreciation 221
  • And then there were 2.....
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 15:15:04 pm »
On my, it takes me so long to get round to my posts!  ::)

Thanks for the responses girls. I had her weighed last week and she's sitting at 20lb. Cant put my hand on her red book to see what that means but we are looking for it. She does look just fine though... HV didn't seem worried anyway.

Shiv- Has R always eaten little? She seems to eat as little as Dylan. I too wonder if its the MSPI as B ate like a horse in comparison.