Author Topic: Need some help with naps :(  (Read 673 times)

Offline jakobsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • Jakob first b-day
Need some help with naps :(
« on: October 30, 2011, 12:10:50 pm »
J has been doing 4 hour A times in the am and pm with a small CN then 3 hours to BT....but it has all gone askew.  He is short napping for his 1st nap, he was doing a wonderfl 2+ hour nap, now we are lucky to get 1.5hrs.  And he is refusing his CN completely.  I think I should try and increase his am A time to see if we could get the lovely nap back.  His nights have also been a bit off with a few NW as well.  He sleep for a solid 4-5 hours then you hear him crying out.  It doesn't take much to re-settle him it is odd that it is around the same time every night (around 2 am)  BT is around 8.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have been trying to extend his am A time, but I have been working a lot of day shifts the past few weeks and my mom is horrible at sticking to my schedule.  She always insists that he was sooo tired and she couldn't keep him awake (sometimes after 3 hr A).  I think that when he starts to get cranky she automatically puts him to bed....

Thank you :)

*Kristen*

Offline ~Karen~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 98
Re: Need some help with naps :(
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 20:25:02 pm »
Have a read through this first:  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=95670.0

This is exactly what I went through with ds2!  We had to do long am/short pm nap due to three school runs a day but it meant he started refusing pm nap way before he was ready for it.  Could you possibly try short am/long pm nap to see if that works better?  I did it that was round with ds1 and found it worked much better as if I limited his morning nap to 30 mins then I'd be guarenteed a pm nap.

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: Need some help with naps :(
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 21:23:59 pm »
She always insists that he was sooo tired and she couldn't keep him awake (sometimes after 3 hr A).  I think that when he starts to get cranky she automatically puts him to bed....
It's difficult when you're trying to tell grandma what to do isn't it?  My mum insists DS is teething as soon as he is cranky and seems to forget he might need to sleep.
Do you think it might help to tell your mum the crankiness that looks like tiredness might be the need for a change in activity or environment?  Maybe jot down a few different ideas of things to do (read, roll ball, look out a window, move to a different room, a slow walk around the garden commenting on what's there etc, or depending where you're up to with solids and cups maybe a snack time with finger foods or cup practice?) which can help to extend the A back up to where you want it (and then beyond if you're pushing out the A).  Sometimes people just forget what else they might do to fill the time, if LO is getting cranky an hour to nap time can seem like a very long time to fill.