Author Topic: always demanding food  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 29
    • Mamacook
Re: always demanding food
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2011, 15:45:02 pm »
is it possible not to have biscuits type things in the house?  i know it is hard.  i eat more junk than DS, way more.

I was going to suggest the same thing.  I don't want to be the mum who says 'no' to dessert either which is why (generally) most of the baking I do is sugar free (no sweeteners either) so I don't feel it's as much of a 'treat' as chocolate or sugary puddings.

I mean you have to have your *super* secret chocolate stash but whenever I look at the nutritional info on muesli bars they seem no better than chocolate anyway.

Here's a couple of sugar free recipes which might be worth a go so he still feels he's getting a treat and you don't feel quite so bad about it?  I have no experience of 2 year olds yet (and I'm already getting pressure from the OH and relatives to give him trash.  Personally I want to keep the occasions very limited.)

Anyway, hope these help:

http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/07/no-added-sugar-apple-and-sultana-mini.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/10/apple-jam-tarts-for-babies-and-toddlers.html
http://mamacook.blogspot.com/2011/05/restaurants.html
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline *Jo*

• Showing Appreciation 148
  • 3 wee monkeys and a Mamma
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2011, 17:11:33 pm »
Thanks, willlook at those recipes later when I'm on the computer :)

Interestingly enough yesterday he didn't ask me hardly ever for food, because he was outside most of the day or playing or whatever..... I think it's boredom!!!

Don't we as adults do the same thing? Eat when we are bored? (well maybe it's just me!! Lol)
Becky do you think this could be the reason for you as well? If we are spending time with the babies perhaps our boys are bored??

I'm gonna have to have words with my dad though, yesterday it was corn chips (after dinner refusal, dad didn't know he hadnt eaten dinner but still..)

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 17:16:05 pm »
Maybe!  As you say, adults do the same thing. 

Yeah.  I'd have words with your Dad.  I remember my mum saying (when my son was about 9 months and I'd explained what kind of foods he was eating) "so he can have a little cake then?" 

"No mum, he cannot have a little cake!"

Grandparents eh?!
Here's my blog which is focussed on simple food for babies, toddlers and families http://mamacook.blogspot.com/

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 17:23:16 pm »
He sounds more bored than hungry to me. How about you just keep the bikkies and bars out of sight entirely, tell him there are gone, done, away, he'll calm down way faster than if he has to look at something being locked away...

Offline *Becky*

• Showing Appreciation 255
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 20:49:56 pm »
Jo - Henry def eats when he is bored and wants to watch TV, they tend to go together. Yes I think he is bored but not because of M, just because he is. I can even be playing with him and he will be asking for snacks. I don't know if this will help but I read in RYSC a good idea for snacks. I now put 2 snack pots in the fridge in the morning which H can get when he wants. I tend to put fruit in one and cheese/oatcakes in the other or something savoury. It puts it into his hands more so he does not just go on and flipping on about snacks. I now just say go and get your snack and I tell him there is nothing else until after lunch.

H is obsessed by sweet stuff and I mean obsessed. Today in fact I got rid of all his leftover birthday cake as I am sick of him going on about cake all day. The tantrums etc are too much...I find it weird as I have never given him a lot of this type of food but I also have not completely denied it so why is he so over the top about it?

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 01:26:05 am »
so the two snack pots are for morning time till lunch only or for the whole day??

Becky are you stalking me LOL!!!! I think we are leading very similar lives these days with our boys hehehe

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:34:31 am by *Jo* »

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 11:05:57 am »
I know! I nearly wrote the same...
I do 2 pots in the am and 2 in the pm. I guess it makes him feel a bit more independent and it means that if he eats it all by 10am then that is all he gets yk?

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 18:48:16 pm »
right, will try that today :) can you give me an example of what you put in your pots?

am gonna do some baking today with him so might make some of those recipes above :)

Offline *Becky*

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 19:54:23 pm »
raspberries, oatcakes, cheese, humzinger (fruit stick) cereal bar, rice cakes, raisins, ham, houmous and carrot sticks.

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 20:44:01 pm »
so if i just use a small plastic container and stick stuff like that in, we shall see how it works, so far today I put in raisins, rice cakes (minis) cranberries, nutrigrains and a muesli bar. the muesli bar went straight away lol surprise surprise!

I looked for a food chart poster in the mall yesterday but couldnt find one, i dont really have the time or equipemnt to make one up, might have to look for one online and see if i can get it printed at the library or something

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 20:54:42 pm »
Becky, that is a wonderful idea!  i might need to use it soon

Jo, perhaps just cut from magazine or newspaper?  hope u find something and hope it works xx

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 00:46:36 am »
and I officially LOVE you!!!

I put two coloured pottles out today, one with fruity stuff in it (raisins, cranberries, a strawberry) and the other with dried food (nutri grain, muesli bar and rice cake) well the only thing that was eaten from it was the muesli bar, however he did ask for a banana and I wont say no to that seeing as Im trying to get him to eat fruit, and he ate it! he asked one time for lollies and I pointed him back to the pottles and said that was all there was till lunchtime, if he wanted anything to eat it had to be from one of these pottles. he didnt eat it but he didnt ask again!!! we had an earlyish lunch though because I was hungry and he ate it all!! hoooooray!!!!

this afternoons pottles will have three mini cookies added to them (to replace the muesli bar) but there is still the fruit pottle (hey I gotta try right!) tomorrow I will try carrot sticks and apple pieces to see if he will eat that :D

Offline *Jo*

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 01:55:54 am »
I just made those "jam" tarts! he loves them!! sugarfree and yummy!!

Offline Lemonthyme

• Mamacook
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 06:55:40 am »
Thanks for the feedback!  I'm glad he likes!

Offline koe2moe

• Showing Appreciation 250
  • Battle on the chess board
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 08:15:50 am »
yippee!!!!  what a great feeling to have win win situations!!